Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Member #28610
clutch buttons

Does anyone know what causes the clutch buttons to fail? I will be on my second set in a little over 2 months. I was just coasting down a power line when I got to the bottom I hit the gas and I noticed the machine wasn't sounding right. When I got to 20 mph it would not accelerate any further. Being I just had them replaced I knew what was wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
When i replaced mine, i filed and emory clothed the helix and sheave until very smooth, kinda important to get all the gouges out.
If it rolled over(spring lost it's preload),Possibly your helix itself is too worn down .
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #4033
Helix never wears, they only get damaged. good idea to smooth out the ramps, but they all have to be perfectly even for smooth shifting. Hopefully they didn't put in new buttons with a damaged helix. severe bearing wear or a broken secondary spring can cause the sheaves to bang or ride very unevenly putting all the load on 1 button, once 1 goes the other 2 go fast. I don't suggest repairing rebuilding a secondary if its more than bushings or a helix. Replacing bushings just buys u more time. Miles? any sheave wear?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Member #28610
Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13889
i have a 98 sportsman 500 with 7k and wont go over 20. im hearing and reading about the clutch buttons, just one ? where are they, what r they and how hard are they to replace?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman010 View Post
i have a 98 sportsman 500 with 7k and wont go over 20. im hearing and reading about the clutch buttons, just one ? where are they, what r they and how hard are they to replace?
They are in the secondary, are what the helix "grabs" to make the bike move and are resonably easy to replace provided you have the tools needed to do it.
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
The three buttons are a nylon type material,held in with torx type screws. The helix and the spring pressure are what holds this all together. If the spring isn't right it won't drive properly.
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13889
my ? is how do you remove the clutch buttons? is it simple to do or a real pain in the ass? and the clutch buttons are in the primary drive clutch right? any advise would be very helpful. Thanks.

Happy riding!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
The buttons are in the rear clutch. Not hard to fix if all other parts are ok. There is a video on youtube showing how to do this, very informative. Give a yell if you need more help.
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
08 500 polaris ranger clutch buttons
how do you remove the clutch buttons on a gator
how does polaris sportsman clutch button work
how to replace polaris clutch buttons
how to replace the buttons in a polaris sportsman clutch
polaris atv clutch buttons
polaris clutch button replacement

polaris clutch buttons

polaris clutch buttons video

polaris primary clutch button replace

polaris sportsman clutch buttons
what is purpose clutch button in polaris atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.