Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #13240
Cool Polaris Xplorer 400 clutch problem...

can someone tell me what is wrong with this thing? the belt goes halfway up the primary then over revs. i put on a different primary and it's the same thing, also replaced the spring and buttons in the secondary. Any help would be great.

5400km 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 Ho, Polaris Hand & Thumb warmers, RotoPax 4 Gallon Fuel Pack, Custom Made Rear Bumper, PowerMadd Hand Guards, Polaris Rear Work Lights, Ricochet Ultimate Armor, Polaris 3500lb Winch, Rear Rack Extender, Polaris Brush Guard, 3 Headlight Mod, Uni Air Filter, EPI 'patv1' primary clutch spring. All up on Interco Swamplites! Maintenance is the key to a never ending happiness

Check out and subscribe to my youtube channel! ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/mudsling...ew=0&flow=grid
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #7218
If you have replaced the buttons already,then you have over tightened the spring or tensioned it the wrong way when you put it back together. The sheaves on the secondary should be spreading apart as the primary makes the belt tighter. They are not. It is definately a secondary problem.

On my old 400's you just needed a bit of preload on the spring and my 500HO needed none. Just put it in the holes marked "2"
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years
Old 09-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #13240
i can assure you there in the "2" holes, had it apart twice.
5400km 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 Ho, Polaris Hand & Thumb warmers, RotoPax 4 Gallon Fuel Pack, Custom Made Rear Bumper, PowerMadd Hand Guards, Polaris Rear Work Lights, Ricochet Ultimate Armor, Polaris 3500lb Winch, Rear Rack Extender, Polaris Brush Guard, 3 Headlight Mod, Uni Air Filter, EPI 'patv1' primary clutch spring. All up on Interco Swamplites! Maintenance is the key to a never ending happiness

Check out and subscribe to my youtube channel! ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/mudsling...ew=0&flow=grid
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #7218
Did you pretension it before putting back on the snap ring? Can you take your hands and make it open up? If you cant then somthing is either broken or binding.
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine

Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14887
Was it doing the same thing it is now ,before you changed the secondary spring and buttons? Maybe you installed a stronger spring than you're supposed to?
I believe it's the secondary clutch as well.
To rule out the primary though, take off the belt and rev the engine up and down. Does the primary clutch move in and out at least an inch? If it does , then it's probably OK....
You will have to investigate the secondary some more. Like the previous poster said, you should be able to push the inner sheave in with your hands. If you can't , then the belt can't....
If you disassemble the secondary and the sheave moves up and down freely , then it's probably a spring tension issue.

Great video by the way!!

Kevin
Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #13240
it messed up earlier, then we put the new parts in the secondary, it was fine for probably 4 months now it does this. primary fully closes with the belt off. guess i will explore the secondary further.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #7218
Well if it worked for a while and then stopped after you fixed it, then open it up and see whats going on inside. Maybe a screw came out of one of the buttons or???? It is definately in the secondary.

08 Sportsman 500HO

01 500HO Plow Machine

Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #13240
i took it apart again once this happened, didn't see anything wrong, will look again.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #13240
wish i could find a used secondary, save me messing with this one anymore.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14887
There's very little going on inside the secondary clutch assembly. I wonder what the problem would be?
Do you still have the old spring? Did you change it because it was broken? Can you bring your secondary assembly to an ATV shop for someone to look at?

2001 Sportsman 500 HO

Famous saying......" I'm going to the garage" !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1999 polaris xplorer clutch adjustment
best clutch spring for polaris 400 xplorer
clutch slipping on 94 polaris
fixing polaris xplorer 400
polaris 400 clutch
polaris 400 clutch problems

polaris ranger 400 problems

polaris ranger clutch problems
polaris xplorer 400 clutch repair
polaris xplorer 400 problems
polaris xplorer 400 secondary clutch
polaris xplorer problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.