Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 AM

Member #31295
Exclamation 4 Wheel Drive Problems

Hello everyone,

I am seeking help on a 4 wheel drive issue from those guys that know about these things, so if you can help please share. About a month ago I bought a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800, since then I have had it in for a full service at a certified Polaris dealer. Along with the service several ball joints, bearings and miscellaneous repairs were made. Yet one major issue remains, the 4 wheel drive will not engage. The speedometer works the LCD display shows the 4 wheel drive icon but when in the mud only the rear spins. I can add that the gas gauge does, at times flash displaying random fuel levels.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
There are numerous things that can cause issues with the 4wd on these machines. Speedo not working, voltage at the diff, too little fluid in diff, too much fluid in diff, dirty fluid, wrong fluid, warped armature plate, or broken sprague cage. In that order. Start by checking the speedo, if that works then move down to the diff. to see if you have voltage. If you have voltage, then drain the fluid and ensure you put the proper amount of the Polaris Demand Drive fluid. If that doesn't work then take it apart and look at the sprague cage. If it is cracked or broken, replace it. Also check the armature plate while your in there. It only takes it being warped .005" for it to cause engagement issues.
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 AM

Member #31295
Exclamation Follow up

I have a feeling that it is an electrical issue. Originally, the winch wouldn't work when the cooling fan was on and then the issue with the fuel gauge popped up and now I don't have 4 wheel drive, if there are major electrical issues what should I look at in that area? Thanks for your help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2001 polaris sportsman 500 4wd not working

4wd problem polaris 500 magnum

four wheel drive not working polaris sportsman

how does four wheel drive work on a sportsman

polaris 4 wheel drive problems

polaris 4wd not working

polaris atv 4 wheel drive not working

polaris fourwheel not working

polaris sportsman 4 wheel drive not working

polaris sportsman 500 4 wheel drive problems

polaris sportsman 500 4wd not working
polaris sportsman 500 awd not working
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.