Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Member #3196
2002 sportsman 500ho oil leak

hey everyone, have another addition to the boards, i have a 2002 sportsman 500ho, yellow, has around 540 miles on it now (sat around a lot) i recently got a bad oil leak in it, would leave huge puddles on the floor where it sat, after looking at it several times to try to see where the leak was coming from i found a seep hole below the water pump housing, it was seeping from the hole very slowly but was enough to leave puddles if is sat a few weeks, after checking with local parts place i got (3) seal that go to the water pump assembly and got them replaced using a special tool (parts place rented it to me) was fairly easy to replace, i'm not an amateur mechanic, shady tree maybe but most mechanics are common sense, after removing the gaskets i noticed the water pump shaft was rusty (probably from the machine sitting alot) so i turned the motor over while holding fine sand paper on the shaft to remove the rust. got it all back together now and no oil leak! wooohooo! hopefully it will hold up, doesn't seem to be to good of a design to me. hope this helps someone. happy 4-wheelin!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #3743
glade you fixed it and yes it is a poor setup on the pump seal
heel clicker
Warn 2500 puller outter
SS108's
29.5's Laws skinny/fat
rubber down custom intake
homemade exhaust snorkel
rad. relocated up top
chains on front & rear A arms
swaybar removed
working on quads for 12 yrs let me know if i can help
"Hold my beer and let me show you how to really f#%* shit up"
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Member #2149
could you get to it by just taking the cover off of the water pump and removeing the pump.And was it a atv repair place that rented the tools.My 1997 sportsman 500 is leaking in the same place.Any help would be great.Thanks AL
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7973
The water seal is an easy fix with the tools. You can purchase it for around 60$. The oil seal behind it is easy to pull out and reinstall - no special tools required. The most important thing is to snorkle the weep hole to prevent muddy water from getting up behind the seal and trashing it. I went through three seals before finding out that little tip. Also snorkle the overflow bottle cap to prevent muddy water from getting into coolant and trashing waterpump seal as well.

Taking the cover off the waterpump will expose the impeller. Once that is removed you pull the seal out. It can be done without the special tool, but extreme care must be taken not to bent the shaft. If that happens then the motor comes out, cases get split and your wallet empties
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Member #2149
IM assuming the water pump mechanical seal has to be removed first as the oil seal is behind it.And can the mechanical seal be removed and replaced without the special tool.I should probably order a new mechanical seal as well as the oil seal right?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:25 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7973
Yes, the oil seal is behind the mech. seal. There are lots of people who pull the mech. seal without the special tool. The risk you run is bending the shaft if you get too aggressive with it. The tool-less method is to run at least two self-tapping screws into the face of the seal and use a slide hammer to slowly pull it out. Done with some patience it will work fine. Once its out you can grab the oil seal with a pick..it comes out real easy. The mech. seal can be tapped in with a socket of the appropriate size.. I would also replace the water pump impeller and the self locking cap nut when you do this.

Tip: make sure you snorkle the weep hole. Typical method is to tap the hole and run a hollowed out grease zerk which then attaches to clear tubing run up higher than the air filter. this will extend the life of the mech. seal for years by keeping muddy water out of the cavity behind the seal. Also snorkle the overflow bottle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
02 sportsman 500 ho oil leak
2002 sportsman 500 ho oil leak
polaris 500 sportsman oil leak
polaris ranger 500 oil leak
polaris ranger leaking oil
polaris ranger leaks alot of oil

polaris ranger oil leak

polaris sportsman 500 ho oil leak

polaris sportsman 500 oil leak

polaris sportsman 500 oil seal
repair oil leak on polaris sportsman 500
sportsman 500 leaking oil out weep hole
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.