Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 AM

Member #33771
4wd problems

Need some help! I have a 2008 sportsman 800 efi and this morning I was clearing my driveway of snow and the 4wd wouldn't work correctly. When it did engage it was at a higher RPM and would clank when it engaged but would only stay engaged for a short time. 95% of the time it did not work at all. Didn't matter if i hit the override button or had it in ADC or 4x4. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Hello & Welcome

The rule of thumb would be.... Start by changing the front differencial fluid (a couple of times to clean out all dirty fluid, try use briefly between changes) as dirty fluid is usually the cause of intermitant AWD issues. Note: Use ONLY Polaris demand drive fluid!! One bottle should get you 2-3 front diff. fluid changes. If this doesn't work it may be a differencial internal issue.

Remember, the AWD only kicks on when the rear wheels slip/loose traction, and is not "engaged" at all times. Very similar to the "Auto 4x4" in a Ford or GM truck/suv.

West Fargo.... How much snow did you guys get? We got about 7"-8" down in Fergus Falls area. Like the user name "Hunting for Racks"!! Is that the Antlered whitetail 4 legged type or the 2 legged human female type.... or both??

2012 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED)
Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Glacier 3 60" Plow System - Front & Rear Rack Extensions - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - Low Profile Windshield - Warning Debadge - 3 Way Head Light (Relay) - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Kolpin KXP Rhino Double Gun Rack - Madd Dog Chainsaw Holder - Kolpin Rear Seat/Storage Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP Mud Lite Tires

2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - Polaris Hand Guards - WES Ind. Rear Seat/Storage Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - 25" Kenda K590 Tires

Son's: 2012 TaoTao 125D (BLUE/BLACK)

WARNING: The Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect.... suck it up Nancy!

Last edited by MustBeNice; 01-29-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM

Member #33771
We got 5 - 6 inches here. With the ice we got before the snow my back tires where spinning constantly and the front wouldn't engage. Like I said the couple times it did engage it really clanked.

PS - always looking for the antlered kind. The wife wouldn't appreciate me looking for the "other" racks.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin4rax View Post
We got 5 - 6 inches here. With the ice we got before the snow my back tires where spinning constantly and the front wouldn't engage. Like I said the couple times it did engage it really clanked.
If it is still engaging from time to time..... I'd start with the fluid changes and hope for the best!! This would be the simplest and cheapest attempt to fix the problem. And it seems to be the most common issue with the AWD, unless an internal component failed/broke. If it doesn't, you at least ruled it out and know you need to dive in deeper. It'd also be good maintinance for a 2008, if it hasn't been done yet.

Question(s), How many miles & hours are on your machine? Ever see any water or mud submertion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin4rax View Post
PS - always looking for the antlered kind. The wife wouldn't appreciate me looking for the "other" racks.
Sorry, didn't know your marital status..... that's why I asked for clarification. I don't think any significant other appreciates that, unless she's lookin' too!!

Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Glacier 3 60" Plow System - Front & Rear Rack Extensions - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - Low Profile Windshield - Warning Debadge - 3 Way Head Light (Relay) - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Kolpin KXP Rhino Double Gun Rack - Madd Dog Chainsaw Holder - Kolpin Rear Seat/Storage Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP Mud Lite Tires

Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - Polaris Hand Guards - WES Ind. Rear Seat/Storage Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - 25" Kenda K590 Tires

WARNING: The Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect.... suck it up Nancy!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Member #33771
Thanks so much for your help! I will try that tonight and let you know the result! 150 hours - 1100 miles. I have a look but don't even think about touching marital agreement!!!! LOL Have a good one!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Hope it works.....let us know!! May want to ask a mechanic over at "Wheels Inc." when you get your fluid, just to verify he thinks your symptoms match this remidy!

Have you ever changed the front diff. fluid? How long have you owned the machine?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Member #33771
Only had it a few months. Never changed the front diff. fluid before but I am about to search the internet for a tutorial. I am a farm boy, should be able to figure it out!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 AM

Member #33771
Change the diff. fluid. Didn't fix the problem. Road it a little last night and it didn't even engage the 4wd at all. spun the back tires trying to get the front to engage...no luck! What should I try next?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Just to verify.... AWD switch is "on" and "AWD icon" light is illuminated on dash display? If so, and the fluid change didn't fix the problem..... I'd guess it to be a hilliard or armature issue in the front differncial.

Need a link to a service manual? There are a few links on here to pdf versions on private hosted sites......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2005 polaris 400 awd issues
2005 polaris ranger 4x4 doesnt work
2008 polaris 800 four wheel drive problem
how polaris auto 4 wd work
how to fix a polaris awd light
polaris 4 wheel drive problems
polaris atv 4 wd problems

polaris atv 4wd problems

polaris low fluid in front differential symptoms
polaris ranger 4wd doesn't work in low

polaris sportsman 4wd doesnt work

rpm light polaris 800 stay on
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.