Polaris ATV Forum banner

2004 Sportsman 700 AWD not working.....

33K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  marloc 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok. Where do I start......

I was riding on ice, AWD stopped working. Then on my way back to the truck, I got stuc......submerged. Anyway..... I drained EVERYTHING and got it running again....but again, the AWD wouldn't work. So.....here's my situation. NOTE: THE AWD DID NOT STOP BECAUSE IT WAS SUBMERGED..........IT STOPPED LONG BEFORE I WENT UNDER WATER SO PLEASE DON'T POINT OUT "WATER IN THE DIFFERENTIAL" AS A POSSIBLE ISSUE.

1. AWD wont engage.
2. The instrument / speedo works.
3. The AWD switch is brand new (broke the thumb throttle on a different adventure)
4. Pulled the front differential and rebuild it with new cage / armature plate / bearings / seals.
5. Tested the armature plate with the side of the differential in my hand, connected to the ATV with the engine running / AWD switch "on" / and in gear....yes...high gear...not reverse (cause I know someone will be stupid enough to point out if it was in reverse you have to push the override button....)
6. I have tested the gearcase coil resistance and voltage.

Everything works fine........up there.

I'm thinking its a problem in the Transmission. Does anyone know if there is a sensor or something in the trans that would cause the front not to work. Basically, the front would turn if there were something turning the drive shaft going up there......

Still stuck :nixweiss:

See less See more
#2 ·
I understand your frustration but you might get a better response if you were less combative in your post, and would refrain from calling us stupid. Many of us have years of experience and know the usual suspects in a given problem. Pointing them out to someone who is asking for help--like you are--doesn't make us stupid.

Just sayin'

The tranny doesn't have anything but there is a sensor on the right front hub/brake that might be bad. It would be the only electrical wire there.

Is the speedo indicating the correct gear? If not it can also cause your problems.

Stew

#3 ·
turn machine off, turn on AWD, press override button for 5 to 10 seconds, continue to press override button and start your machine, after started release override button. Your instrument cluster is now in diagnostic mode. press and release the override button till you get to the AWD screen. if AWD says it is on, you have a mechanical Problem, if it says off, check the brown/white wire to ground, going to your hub coils, with the hub coils connected, if you have battery power, your AWD switch is bad, you have a wiring problem or your hub coils are bad. if your dont have power, pull your pod cover off, disconnect the 16 pin plug from the speedo, check for battery power to the brown/white wire, if you dont have power, its a wiring problem. remove throttle cover, disconnect wire connector, check continuity across your AWD switch, if you have continuity, replace speedo, if no continuity replace AWD Switch

I understand you say you just replaced the AWD switch, but it is know to get bad parts in new.

If this does not fix it, you have a mechanical prob

#9 ·
Hey Gatorhunter, you sound very knowledgeable and i can not find the answer. hope you can help. on 05 sportsman 700, two wires going into the hilliary unit i believe its called, one red one grey. I have power at gray but not at the red. further up the line, these two connect into a gray and a brown w/ white tracer. i have power to gray when AWD is switched on. i do not have power to brown ever. any help appreciated thanks!

#4 ·
actually I think there is a tranny switch, should be on the tranny behind the footbrake if I remember right. You could also hook up battery power to the connector at the front diff, if that makes the awd work, then it is either your speedo or the switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.