Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Member #4161
Unhappy Polars Sport 2 Stroke stopped working

Hey guys!, This is my first time posting an add on here so i hope this goes well. I bought a 1999 polaris sport 2 stroke late last week. It was a little rough but i got a good price for it. the thing ran fine but the issue i had when i bought it might have caused it to stop working. First thing is that there is no key to turn th ething on and off all i use to shut it off is the handlebar on-off-on switch. I know in my 400L there is stuff associated with the wiring as a "fail-safe" tht will shut the thing off if there is any issues... oil low.. overheating etc. but i was not sure and still am not sure if it is a problem. Well the thing was running fine. started up within 2 pulls of the string and ran great. One issue he had was that he didnt like the opil pump due to previous problems with a jet ski so he decided just to mix the fuel. We were running the quad (no more than 10 minutes) then the thing cut off and it seemed to be very hot and the radiator fan was not working. i filled th ething up with water the night before and it seemed the be just fine other thn the thing leaking out some weird white liquid from a drain hose commin off the motor. It has spark! it has Fuel! Why wont it start!!! it does turn over fine and i realized that the oil pump float didnt seem to work (not sure why it was cutting on in the first place) and the spark plug seemed to be very dry right after it cut off PLEASE HELP!!!! thanks!!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
And welcome to the board!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
i don't believe there is a cut-out-off circuit for the temperature light,oil yes.
You may have gotten it too hot and hurt something in the top-end.
You could try a shot or two of starting fluid to see if that helps.
To check the fan ,take off the hood and at the top of the radiator,is the temp. sensor switch,unplug it and jump those two wires and the fan should start spinning.
good luck
Old 04-11-2010, 07:47 AM

Member #4161
Ya the fan works when i jump the coil with 12V. Now i took off the top of the engine and everything inside seemed to look great (appearance wise). nothing seemed out of the oridnary. I do get spark and but i do not get any fire when i spray starting fluid in the carb. i even took it as far as putting a little fuel down the spark plug and it still did nothing. What would the problem be?.. very lost on this one. would a compression test be smart?... would it still fire with low compression?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
try to do a compression test,if not for any other reason that knowing you have good compression.100 lbs. or less and it causes starting-running issues.
make sure you have good fuel flow to the carb.and maybe a good carb.cleaning should be in order , a complete disassembly. i reread your first thread and you wrote the plug was dry ,so maybe it's not getting enough fuel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1999 polaris sport compression
2 stroke 4 wheeler wont start
2 stroke jet ski wont start but has spark

99 polaris sport 400 2 stroke

four wheeler wont spark polaris sport 400
jet ski two stroke runs then stops

polaris 400 2 stroke 4 wheeler

polaris 400 two stroke cutting out
polaris jet ski fires then stops
polaris jet ski runs then stalls

polaris two stroke no start

polarus four whreeler two stroke
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.