Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36138
2013 Sportsman 500 HO Stalling and other problems

I rode my new 2013 Sportsman 500 HO for the second time today with only 10 miles on it and ran into a few problems... It was a beautiful day with a high around 80 cooling to 70 or so by evening. I was riding it on my front lawn which consists of several acres of grass and trees with some not too steep hills.

- Stalling: it often stalls when stopped. I tried adjusting the idle speed screw but at around or over 1400rpm it stalls just while in neutral or park. At about 1200rpm it's a 50/50 chance if it will keep running. It sometimes also stalls when coasting or braking when going downhill. It runs great (when I can get it going) under either a light or heavy load. These things are set at the factory to run real lean for emissions. I'm thinking it might need the idle mixture screw adjusted?

- My manual says there's an on/off fuel valve, but I can't find it. The manual shows where it is, but it's no where to be found. It's supposed to be near the fuel pump inside the left front fender.

- The fuel gauge reads full, but it's half full or less. I was wondering if this is normal or if the gauge is stuck?

If these things aren't an easy fix I'll have to take it back to the dealer which is an 80 mile round trip... then another 80 miles to pick it up. :-(

Thanks for any help,
Bob

Last edited by MC2crazy; 05-26-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #25196
The mixture adjustment is probably ok, the stalling can be as simple as having a key chain attached to the key and it catches and shuts the machine off .
2nd and very likely if you check your manual on how to adjust the throttle cable at the right handle bar that is probably your problem , you can only have about a 1/8" play in it , if more it will stall in different situations. Check your manual its a easy adjustment. I would set the correct idle speed then adjust the throttle cable. The fuel valve is up in there grab hold of the fuel line and follow it a good way up you have to go up in a bit. It's not convenient but its there. The fuel guages just aren't very accurate. Good luck getting it tweaked - you got a good machine.

-Polaris Fr+Rr Brush Bumpers.
-Polaris Fr+Rr Rack Extenders.
-Polaris 2500 lb Winch, w/Amsteel Blue, Hawse Fairlead, and Hook Stop/ Fairlead Protector.
-Polaris Hand Guards.
-Tusk Heated Grips/Thumb Warmer.
-Ricochet A-ARM Guards (Fr+Rr).
-Kolpin Dually 3" LED's on Front Brush Bumper (floods).
-Cabelas Tac System ,Soft Rear luggage/Seat/Rifle Case.
-Rear Foot Rests/Fender Guards .
-Eagle Snow Plow,Belly Mount W/ 54" Blade.
-Polaris Xenon Bulbs in High+Low Headlights.
-ATVSS Detachable mirrors .
-Rotopax Fuel Cells - Two - 1 gal containers on Front Rack.
-Sedona Ripsaw R/T's (25-8-12 ,25-10-12) Mounted on ITP- SS312's. (12x7, 4/156/4+3) .
-Kimpex Fender Flares .
-Kolpin 3 Way Hitch.
-Foot Well Skid Plates with Attached Nerf Bars.
-QSC Clutch Kit.

Last edited by joyrider; 05-26-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36138
The only key in it is the ignition key. It never turned off unless I wanted it to.

Yes, there was excessive play in the throttle cable. I adjusted that, but can't try it until later.

I found the fuel valve in the fuel line up behind the radiator hose. It's not easy to get to or use. The owner's manual shows it like it would be mounted securely and convenient to use. I wish it was tank mounted and had a reserve like most motorcycles.

I have less than 1/2 tank of gas and the gauge is reading full. From what I read in the manual maybe it only shows the gas is getting low and it's not really a fuel gauge?

I'll try it to see if the cable adjustment makes any difference the next time I have a chance to ride it which may be later today.

Thanks for the tips! I hope the fix is that easy...
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36138
I did the throttle cable adjustment and it worked!
The only problem is I almost used up all of the adjustment.

I started it up today and it ran for hours, rode by different riders, and not one more stall!!!
Yesterday it was stalling all the time.

You hit that nail on the head. Thanks for the tip joyrider! You made my day.

Last edited by MC2crazy; 05-27-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #25196
For some reason in the dealer prep they some how forget the throttle adjustment.
That's disappointing when you just get home with a new machine and are anxious to go run it around.

-Polaris Fr+Rr Brush Bumpers.
-Polaris Fr+Rr Rack Extenders.
-Polaris 2500 lb Winch, w/Amsteel Blue, Hawse Fairlead, and Hook Stop/ Fairlead Protector.
-Polaris Hand Guards.
-Tusk Heated Grips/Thumb Warmer.
-Ricochet A-ARM Guards (Fr+Rr).
-Kolpin Dually 3" LED's on Front Brush Bumper (floods).
-Cabelas Tac System ,Soft Rear luggage/Seat/Rifle Case.
-Rear Foot Rests/Fender Guards .
-Eagle Snow Plow,Belly Mount W/ 54" Blade.
-Polaris Xenon Bulbs in High+Low Headlights.
-ATVSS Detachable mirrors .
-Rotopax Fuel Cells - Two - 1 gal containers on Front Rack.
-Sedona Ripsaw R/T's (25-8-12 ,25-10-12) Mounted on ITP- SS312's. (12x7, 4/156/4+3) .
-Kimpex Fender Flares .
-Kolpin 3 Way Hitch.
-Foot Well Skid Plates with Attached Nerf Bars.
-QSC Clutch Kit.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36138
It ran fine at the dealer's. I rode it around for a couple of miles through ditches and other terrain to make sure it ran and handled OK. I was going to buy from another dealer, but their 500 was surging and popping from the exhaust and they weren't concerned about it.

The first day at home with this new 500 it ran flawlessly for a couple of hours. I think the throttle cable must have stretched enough to cause the stalling being brand new. But now almost all the adjustment near the throttle is used up. It makes me think that maybe it wasn't seated properly to begin with. Maybe there is more adjustment at the carb?

Either way I'm glad it was a simple fix. I've been riding motorcycles for 50 years and never had one act up like this because of a throttle adjustment.

I appreciate your response and quick fix. It sure helped me out and saved me a return trip to the dealer.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
There is an adjust6ment at card, screw the one by handle bars back in and take up slack at carb.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
There is an adjust6ment at card, screw the one by handle bars back in and take up slack at carb.
I was looking at the exploded parts views of the carb. I thought there might be an adjustment there.

Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2013 polaris 500 ho problems
2013 polaris sportsman 500
2013 polaris sportsman 500 ho problems

2013 polaris sportsman 500 ho reviews

2013 polaris sportsman 500 problems
2013 polaris sportsman 500 review

2013 polaris sportsman 500 reviews

2013 sportsman 500
2013 sportsman 500 ho problems

polaris 500 ho problems

polaris 500 ho sportsman problems

polaris sportsman 500 ho problems

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.