Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Member #4287
Polaris 1993 trailboss 250

My trailboss has been sitting (outside) for at least a couple years, could somebody help me with what type of things could have been damaged or worn out during that period of time.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Member #4287
Any ideas? Im new to the forum and new to engines. Alot of things rusted, what goes bad due to rust over time?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
welcome to the forum, first off

any and all rubber parts.
---fuel line, hoses, intake boot, motor mounts...everything that is rubber. looking for rubber that is cracked, cracking, or really hard (i.e. going to crack if it is flexed)

probably plan on needing a carb clean, new floats, new jets, new needle jets....even if there was fuel stabilizer in there, it would still be bad after a few years

plan on have to drain and clean the fuel tank.

probably a new fuel filter

check tires for sidewall cracking, or any weatherchecking

check the chain (check for easy flexablility, ect.) (it is probably rusted up and needs to be replaced)

probably going to want to check all 4 wheel bearings

probably going to want to check all intake boots, fitments, connections ect.

probably going to want to check airbox and intake manifold for rats nest

probably going to want to change the air filter

probably going to want to lube your throttle cable

probably going to want to get out as much old 2stroke oil you can, replace with fresh

may want to premix your first new take of gas incase the oil injection pump isnt working (and before the first tank is gone, check that is is working properly)

probably going to want to get a new spark plug

probably going to want to change all fluids

you will want to check all the suspensions shocks for leaks after your first ride( the seals may have hardened up, and will crack and leak right after you start to ride it)

pull the clutch cover off and check for rusted cluthes, or water in housing there, and replace drive belt
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome aboard!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM

Member #4287
Thanks Blueline, and thanks Bruce for the warm greeting, but can you also tell me were to get these parts? I know I could probably find a dealer around here but im not sure if they would have the year of my quad. Can you tell me were I can order all the necessary parts at once?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Member #4287
Ohhh yeah and I did notice some intense stiffness in the throttle, how do I lube it?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
a well stocked dealer should have stuff like plugs, oil filters, air filters, fluids, and other basic stuff in stock. otherwise, they should be able to order stuff in for you in about 3-4 business days time.

your cable might be seized beyond use. but, if you want to try to lube it, best way to do that is to unhook it from the quad, on all 3 ends (at the bottom of the cable, it is going to split. on end goes to the carb, the other end to the oil injection pump. then get yourself a can of cable lube, and a rag and pair of vice grips. take the vice grips, clamp on the then of the cable, and pull it out of the housing as far as it will go. then spray some cable lube on there, and now start working the cable back and forth. this should force the cable lube down, inside the housing. continue to repeat this process until you have clean cable lube coming out of the bottom of the cable housing and the cable slides freely inside the housing.

or you can get a new cable for probably $15 to $25
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Member #4287
If I could resurrect this from the grave and say my 93 is running but what bugs me most right now is that the throttle has to be pretty much all the way down before it starts moving.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 AM

Member #4287
Any ideas?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1993 250 trailboss front shocks
1993 polaris 250 2x4 spark plug gap

1993 polaris 250 motor mounts diagram

1993 polaris trail boss 250 oil change

1993 polaris trail boss wiring diagram

1994 polaris 250 wiring diagram
93 polaris trailboss 250 front oil tank
motor mounts 93 polaris 250 trail boss
polaris wiring coming out of throttle housing
what is a polaris trail boss 250 worth
where can i find out what motor my atv has in it 1993 polaris trail boss 250 2x4
wiring diagram for polaris trail boss 250
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.