Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 PM

Member #36475
starter and solenoid wiring pictures

hi all
new guy to the forum. i bought a 2008 sportsman 500 ho efi from a friend who rolled it. it had sat in his shop for a year or so and another one of his friends had taken the starter, starter solenoid, and the recoil. i bought those items and cannot figure out what wires go where. ive tried to read the wiring schematic but still can not figure it out. i was hoping someone on here could take some pictures of what wires go where. when these guys pulled the parts off they just left wires un bolted and unplugged. any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #7218
okay here goes:

from the positive terminal of the battery to the one side of the solenoid goes the big positive wire

from the other side of solenoid to the starter motor lug goes another big ass wire

from the starter switch to the solenoid goes a thin wire that powers the electromagnet that flips over the solenoid.

Recoil has no wires but the bendix has to go in before putting on the starter motor.

All wires are positive as the system gets its ground from the frame.

Think of it as a hose trying to get water from the battery to the starter motor. battery ----> one side of solenoid -----> other side of solenoid -------->> starter motor lug.
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years

Last edited by InRBigness; 07-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:18 PM

Member #36475
thanks inrbigness...i bought a used starter and solenoid and i can get the starter to turn over but i have to cross the solenoid studs with a wire. but i have no spark, even with the pull start. any ideas. the throttle cable gap is good. tried unplugging the speedometer (someone shot it with a bb gun and it does not come on). all fuses are good.
thanks again for at least helping me get the starter going

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

04 polaris 700 sportsman starter solenoid schematic

free wiring diagram polaris xplorer 400 solenoid wiring
how to wire aftermarket starter solenoid polaris 500#gsc.tab
images 2010 polaris razor starter solenoid
picture of 2011 sportsman silenoid diagram
polaris quad starter button wiring
polaris solenoid wiring
polaris sportman starter wire pic

polaris starter solenoid wiring

polars starter solenoid wiring pictures
solenoid wires
wires from solenoid to starter on polaris 400 xpress
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.