Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36801
engine dying on starts with white smoke?

newbie here. i have about 13 hours on my 2012 sportsman 500. when i start it cold the engine will idle for a little bit then die. i have to have it full choke even to get it idle. (the engines cold, its never really cold though outside i live in hawaii). it the short time when it does idle (usually with half choke) if i try to give it some gas it dies and a little white smoke comes out. After doing this a couple of times eventually the quad does run it just doesnt seem right for a new quad. what is wrong? I broke it in for about 8 hours never running it wide open or going 30 mph+ and it ran fine without these problems during those 8 hours. it started though after I left the quad with my in laws who put another 4 hours on it but said they didnt do anything crazy. they washed it but just with a garden hose could water have gotten somewhere it wasnt supposed to? is this a gas issue? my buddy who has some mechanical knowledge with atvs/dirt bike seems to think its just oil burning and part of the break in process. anyone have any ideas? thank you
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #34872
White smoke is normally associated with a blown head gasket or cracked head. Any loss of coolant? Water in the oil? I would advise taking it to a shop.
Maxxis BigHorns
Ricochet skid plates (full kit)
Polaris rear rack extender
Polaris front brush guard
Polaris 2.5k winch, with wireless remote
AmSteel Blue synthetic winch rope
Custom billet hawse fairlead
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36801
ehhhh that doesnt sound good. coolant is fine and ill be changing the oil in the next week. its not like theres a giant white smoke cloud when its running its more like a white vapor comes from the throttle when I gas it like when u exhale on a cold morning.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #27069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooDooBurd808 View Post
ehhhh that doesnt sound good. coolant is fine and ill be changing the oil in the next week. its not like theres a giant white smoke cloud when its running its more like a white vapor comes from the throttle when I gas it like when u exhale on a cold morning.
i see your from hawaii, does it get that cold there that you can see your breath?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #36801
lol yes on top of the volcanos. also when I decelerate the exhaust backfires I think, right as I approach stopping it makes a poppity popping sound. another symptom.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #35631
Carb Needs a good cleaning and check your air filter.. id start there if i were you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

08 polaris sportsman 500 blowing smoke

atv has a little white smoke

quad bike white smoke from engine

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.