Polaris ATV Forum banner

Scrambler 500 Carb fuel drain

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chosenoneai 
#1 ·
Hi guys, getting ready in the next couple of weeks to head over to the dunes. My wifes scrambler has been sitting for a while and there is old gas in the tank. I wanted to know how to drain the carb and tank so I can run some new gas and carb cleaner through it. I cant find any where in the manual on how to drain the carb and the tank. I am new to working on atvs so any guides, tips, or help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

#2 ·
on the carb, there is a brass screw towards the bottom of the float bowl, that will drain what gas is in the float, will probably need a long phillips screwdriver. probably the easiest way to drain the fuel tank is to pull the lines off of the fuel valve, and turn it on (the fuel valve, not the machine. make sure its on RES, and not just ON.)

thats going to be step one. you can hope, but i wouldnt count on being able to drain the old fuel out and put fresh fuel in and everything is going to run perfect, it will probably still run like crap, as all of that old fuel has not turned into a gel inside the carb. when you put fresh fuel in, i would also add in some seafoam. should be able to get it at an autoparts store. mix it in per the directions on the bottle. that stuff does pretty well at helping clean the carb out. if it still wont run right after the seafoam, your going to need to pull the carb, tear it apart, soak it, clean it, put in new jets, and give the fuel tank a good cleaning too, replace any plugged up fuel lines, and probably replace the fuel filter too. start with the seafoam and fresh gas and see where that gets you first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.