Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Member #36378
Exclamation Removal of block below cylinder head

Hello,

I need to replace the gasket below the block that encases the piston heads (only a bit), this block is located underneath the cylinder head, (which I have already removed). I cannot see anything holding this block on and I need to know how to remove it so that I can replace the gasket, (b/c I think that is where my problem is).

Can anyone puuullleeeez help me?

Thanks,

Cam
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29606
Ummmm... that would probably be the cylinder. And sounds like the base gasket it's what you're trying to replace. What machine are to working on? Why are you replacing the gasket?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Member #36378
Recently I found that there was antifreeze getting into my oil. There was no blue smoke. Water pump seal was replaced. When the oil plug was out and the bike sat over a few days you could see the green puddle below on the ground. When it ran, it never took long for the oil to chanhge to a merky, creamy consistency. Head gasket was the next thing to try.
When I got the kit, I seen that there was not only a metal head gasket, but there was also a material one. Being that there was no smoke, it made sensse that there may be an issue below the piston heads. So I figured that I would replace that gasket as well since I am this far, (and I would hate to waste the $150 not replacing it, only to find out it was that gasket).
Do you think that the "Cylinder" will need to be removed so that I can replace that gasket? It was quite the tear down, so I want to ensure my efforts are made efficiently.
Also, if I do...... how?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29606
Sounds like it could be the cylinder base gasket leading. If you have both gaskets and are that for into it, do them both. Do you have a service manual for your machine? Once you remove the head you will see the remaining bolts to be removed. Then it may the a little persuading to get the cylinder to release from the base gasket.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM

Member #36378
Yes, I have a service manual. However that is just it, there are no bolts to be seen after the cylinder head was removed.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Member #26760
Did you do this? I think I am having the same problem. A small oil leak on one of the corners of the lower block to the right of the oil filter. Looking to see if it is a job I can do, or take it to the dealer...
Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 AM

Member #36378
Yes I did do this. It was as I suspected. There were no additional bolts. I was just being too gentle. Taking a rubber mallot I was able to free up the seal and proceed. It was recomended that I was to use a tool that would support the cylinders as I removed the cylinder, (the block I was of course inquiring about), however I could not have fit it in there if I wanted to. My wife and I simply carefully compressed the rings with our fingers and ever so gently placed them in the the cylinder. It took some delicate maneuvering however in the end we succeeded. After replacing the gasket below the cylinder, it only took about 5 minutes to get the pistons and rings properly oriented within the cylinder. And as I suspected, that gasket was the propblem and since then there has been no issues. All is well.

Hope this helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

cylinder head gasket repair on polaris quad

how can antifreeze get into cylinder on polaris atv

how to replace cylinder on honda utv

polaris cylinder removal

when replacing the gasket do you need to remove the cylinder head cover?

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.