Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Member #4045
2002 Sportsman 700 Twin "No Spark"

Hello, I'm not sure if I have posted here before, but I'm in need of any ideas about what I've discovered with this ATV......... It has a Ducati Alternator-driven CDI/Coil Ignition system. I have taken the steps of testing to this point: The manual says 34VDC for the Exciter Coil; I measure 20VDC. The Pulse/Trigger Coil measures correctly. I have tested the ETC switch, which is good adjustment-wise, and although this Exciter component value is out of spec, it's my inclination that this is still a dead CDI. I should mention I work in a small shop, and have vast experience with many vehicles, especially racing, but as we all know every day brings a new challenge. This is a big one, considering I had to wait 2 weeks for my peak reading adapter before I could start my tests. BTW, I am a Polaris owner too!

Regards, Tarzy
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Member #3386
Tarzey,
Unfortunately the 02 700 has a history of bad stators. I'm not sure what exactly goes bad, but I have seen several that had to be replaced. I would also check the continuity from the pickup. I had a stick pull the wires and broke them inside the insulator. Took a while to find. I think the Ducati ignition was the suspect one. I will try and get the specs on friday.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM

Member #4045
Thank you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackwest1 View Post
Tarzey,
Unfortunately the 02 700 has a history of bad stators. I'm not sure what exactly goes bad, but I have seen several that had to be replaced. I would also check the continuity from the pickup. I had a stick pull the wires and broke them inside the insulator. Took a while to find. I think the Ducati ignition was the suspect one. I will try and get the specs on friday.
I got some advice to use this update (ignition replacement kit update #2202602) from Polaris but I found one on eBay. Thank you again for your input; I was suspect of the CDI/Coil from the beginning. Oops! Before I forget, if you have the Ducati CDI/coil Alternator driven system, the exciter output is 34VDC, and the Trigger/Pulse coil output is 3.3VDC, and you must either use a DVA (direct voltage adapter) or else an already "peak-reading" Multimeter such as one of the Flukes, as you are capturing a "peak", which is their standard for testing. The unit I'm working on had the trigger output, but only 18-20VDC from the Exciter coil. Some even call this system a "Magneto", such as the Polaris Service Manual.

Best of luck, Tarzy
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Member #8208
I have the same problem but havent gone into the side cover yet. I'm not a mechanic per say, but I do alot of fixes myself. Mine has no vdc on any of those wires leading into the exciter while cranking as shown in the manual. the only voltage I get is on the wire from the ignition about 7-8 vdc. the manual is not clear if I test the brown/yellow and red/black together, or to ground but I did both and still got nothing. I'm suspecting I need to go into the side cover and find the coil to test it now right? Again the manual is not clear on this. I'm getting from you guys that the stator and coil are maybe one unit? Any help is appreciated. If anyone wants to call and walk me through that I'm good with that too. This is the girlfriends pit bike at the offroad races so I kinda need it done quick. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
02 polaris 700 no spark
02 polaris 700 sportsman no spark
02 polaris sportsman 700 no spark
2002 polaris 700 no spark
2002 polaris 700 sportsman no spark
2002 polaris sportsman 700 ignition kit

2002 polaris sportsman 700 no spark

2002 polaris sportsman 700 with no spark
2003 polaris sportsman 700 no spark
polaris 700 sportsman no spark

polaris sportsman 700 no spark

sportsman 700 no spark

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.