Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Member #4568
Exclamation Ran a 400 scrambler out of fuel, now it wont start back up???

Hello. Im new to the forum and polaris atvs. I have a 400 scrambler that ran out of fuel while riding and died. flipped it over to reserve and it wouldnt start back up. filled the tank back up and it wouldnt start back up. I have taken the carb off, the jet was clogged. cleaned it all out and it still wont start. I have replaced the spark plug and checked the spark and its fine. If I undo the fuel line fuel seems to flow great. I'm at a loss of what else to check? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ps im going to get some starter fluid today to see what i can get with that, and ill check compression later today also, but by the sound of it turning over it sounds fine.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Member #4540
I think you will be fine with the starter fluid. I rebuilt my carb a while back and i had to use starter fluid to get it going. Ran rough for a few secounds and then it was fine. If that doesn't work pull the plug and put it back into the boot and put it against the head and see if your getting spark
Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3532
Starter fluid is a terrible thing to use. It burns too quickly and is very dry and can cause damage. I prefer to use a spray bottle with a 50:1 gas / oil mix. If it won't start, perhaps the filter is plugged, the pump may be plugged or shot. If you pull off the line from the pump to carb and crank it over, there should be a fair amount of fuel coming out. Also check the inlet needle on the carb, it may be plugged if no fuel is in the bowl. You could have a dirty pilot jet as well.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM

Member #4568
ok, plug is good (brand new and has good spark), carb has been completely cleaned and all jets are good, fuel supply seems fine (large amount of fuel comes out of the line). i still need to bypass the filter to see if its just not enough fuel and im gonna check the compression although it sounds fine turnin over. starting fluid didnt help. it has sounded like it was about to start a couple of times, i think im close.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3390
whe you take your carb off is there gas in the float bowl?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Member #4568
yes the bowl is full. fuel supply doesnt seem to be the problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3390
thats odd well if you have spark and fuel it would almost have to be compression?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3575
Take the sparkplug out, put a squirt of oil in the cylinder to make sure the piston rings are sealing, put the plug back in.
then spray some 50:1 fuel/oil mixture in the carb air intake, like spitfire79 suggested, it should fire up with good spark. you may have to feather the throttle a little while doing this
If it fires up and runs then your good.

If it fires up then dies out, then i'd say you still have fuel/carb issues
Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Member #4608
Maybe you sucked some sludge up into the fuel line, i dont know how long you've had yoru ATV For but if i were you i would check the fuel line going to the Carb, Its easy to get all kinds of trash in your ATV, especially if you use a Fuel Can to refill it, (personally i drive my ATV to a gas pump and fill it there to avoid trash in the can) over time it generates sludge, you said one of your jets was clogged, and you have rebuilt your carb, so work your way through the actually fuel system, if your jet was clogged chances are you might have a clogged fuel pump or tube. The secondary tank is designed to be used for emergency's, it also collects alot of sludge because the fuel sits in there, usually i burn off the secondary tank every other refuel, to prevent sludge build up. But basically your fuelpump might be sludged up, and thus not delivering the proper mixture to the carb, thus no combustion. Obviously i assume you've messed around with the choke, if its almost turning over i would choke the hell out of it, soon as it idles gas it up to get the gunk out of the fuel pump. If it doesnt work i would buy a feul pump, a used one you can get on ebay for around $40

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
400 scrambler clogged fuel filter symptoms
400utv wont start after running out of gas
atv out of gas filled tank and wont start
atv ran out of gas and now wont start

atv ran out of gas now wont start

can i use starting fluid on my scrambler 400
does a 400 polaris scrambler use fuel pump
how to tell if my fuel filter is clogged on 01 scrambler
kawasaki kfx 400 ran out of gas and wont start

polaris scrambler 400 wont start

polaris scrambler runs out of gas
polaris sportsman 500 ran out of gas , no start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.