Polaris ATV Forum banner

02 Sportsman 500 speedo 4x4 fix - emike request

63K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  wadehump 
#1 ·
Sorry i haven't been on lately, emike...but here is a pic of an incredibly easy fix.

The 4x4 on this model runs through the speedo, an aggravating way of doing it by Polaris, IMO. Any ways, this will allow the 4x4 to work as it should, and it doesn't bypass the switch, it uses it as well.

As you can see in the picture, hopefully it's easy to tell... there is a thin brown wire coming out of the pod(there are actually two in the same spot, but one is gray, dont cut that one). This is the one you want to cut. Cut it in half, and strip the ends. Get a wire with a bare end at one end, and a loop connector for the other. You can see the nut and bolt right there in the middle. You need to loosen that nut, and put the loop of the wire you made on the end, and tighten it up. Then take both ends of the brown wire and the end of the one with the loop and wrap them all together. Solder is a good idea, but you don't have to. But at least wrap it in tape pretty good.

That's all there is to it...I hope this helps someone, its cheaper than a 300 dollar speedo...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
which set of wires?

I think i see the thin brown & grey wires. But there are 2 sets. One set goes to the right side hub and one set goes to the left side hub. Am i looking at the right wires? if so does it matter which brown one i splice in to. After this repair does the AWD work just like it should?

#5 ·
Cowslinger,
Thanks for the info, the 99 and 02 are a bit different under the hood, but your comment about "there is a thin brown wire coming out of the pod(there are actually two in the same spot, but one is gray, dont cut that one). This is the one you want to cut." The key word is THIN and the fact that there were only two wires... I found it on the right hand side and it looked like it actually was going behind the quarter panel...

I haven't put it on jack stands yet to confirm everything is kosher, but the AWD light works and it didn't work until I did the other wire-around. I removed that jumper and did the fix you described, now it seems that we are good... I took several photos and will post them later tonight to help anyone else out there that might have troubles...

Thanks again...

#7 · (Edited)
Cowslinger,
You ARE the MAN!!! I just come back in from the Garage, I put the ATV on jack stands and tested the 4x4... Works like a charm with the switch, just like you said... Although, it does take a little bit to DIS-Engage when switching it to OFF, but that is FINE, as long as it is ON when needed...

AWESOME! Saved $300 on a new speedo that would have probably went out again anyway...

NOW, who has instructions on changing/checking the belt on the clutch?? LOL...

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
ive checked it and I did get the right wires, it seems that maybe the transmission switch was stuck in reverse because after some inspection I noticed that the reverse light was staying on and rev limiter was kicking in if I didn't hold in the reverse override button.

AWD worked forward or reverse as long as I held in the override button, after about 15 minutes of riding the reverse light went out and AWD in fwd quit??? AWD in reverse still works but not fwd. My assumption is that the transmission switch was stuck showing atv in reverse?? but now it won't register atv in fwd (high or Low). Neutral light is not light up either.

If the transmission switch is not showing atv in a fwd gear would it allow it to go into awd??

#11 ·
hey cowslinger64,

Thanks for the jumper fix for my polaris 4x4 and speedometer not working. I tryed it and it worked like a dream. I now have 4x4 working in forward and reverse, and am still able to disengage the awd. Pulled speedo apart and replaced a bad transister next to the two large capacitors and that didn't work so there must be something else fried in there also.
To anyone who has a similar problem this is the slick solution.

Thanks again,

Wornouthorse

#12 ·
i have a 2002 polaris sportsman 700, and it has the same set up. Will it work on my model too?

#13 · (Edited)
Hey atvman,

My 1999 magnum came equipped with the speedometer that has the white face, and a single display at the bottom of the speedometer. The way that I looked at it was, cutting a couple of wires to save me a $300 to $400 purchase was well worth it. Worst case scenario is you wire them back to the way they were. You won't be out anything. The wiring harness lead running into the side of my awd switch has two brown wires, three gray wires and a black wire. On my 99, under the hood below the speedometer housing I had two white plastic connectors, each with a thin brown striped wire and a gray wire coming out of them. One set of wires ran down each side to my front wheels. If you have the similar setup it should work just fine. Don't cut the gray wires. The gray wires will still allow you to still use the switch to engage or disengage you 4x4. Just cut the thin brown wires going to each wheel, tape the cut wires coming from the white plastic connectors and then wire together the thin brown wires from each tire along with the jumper wire that will run to the bottom side of the black cylinder that is mounted to frame. The speedo will not work but you will have 4x4 again in forward and reverse. I never had time to look down to see how fast I was going through a trail in woods anyway. HAHA

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Wornouthorse

#14 ·
cowslinger rocks!

man i dont know how u came up with that fix but im sure glad u did! when i started using my quad to plow this year it was only about the 3rd time i ever even needed my 4x4. well the second storm we had my speedo crapped out and so did my 4x4. i have fixed thousands of trucks and my share of cars too. but on this i was lost. thanks for all your help. my wife thanks you too. lol

#15 ·
wornouthorse,
my setup is almost the same but since my atv is a twin i dont have the black cylinder you are talking about. the one thing i can see is that the wires bigger brown wires that go to the cylinder and frame are just screwed right to the frame instead of being bolted to the black cylinder. i have a big box in which two wires come out and go to each sparkplug. any suggestions?

#16 ·
Hey atvman,

Refer to photo 3 that emike10 posted on 6-15-10. It shows the black cylinder to which I was refering to. Do you have a set of wires running down to each of the front tires? If so, cut the brown wire to each. Then add a jumper and connect the jumper to the frame. I would start there and see if that works. Otherwise if you could send me a photo or two, maybe we can work backwords and I can try and help figure it out for you.

#17 ·
wornouthorse,
Ill try to get some pictures up tomorrow but i know which cylinder your talking about my 330 trialboss has one. the thin wires that are i believe gray and brown come out of the other side of the plug and go down to my front gearcase. then i have no more wires down there. i had cut the thin wire that everyone said to cut and i put a jumper in and attach the other side of the jumper to the frame and my 4x4 still didnt work correctly. most people seem to have the problem where their 4x4 wont turn on but my 4x4 wont turn off which i find rather weird.

#19 ·
i only have the one plastic white connector in which 2 thicker wires go into and then the think gray and brown wires come out the other side and i cut the thin brown one. im not sure but i think i only have one connecter because it goes directly to the gearbox which controls the prop shafts.

#21 ·
im very confused right now. i cut the brown wire so then i had 2 parts of the brown wire and the jumper so i connected all 3 of the wires together and attached the jumper to the frame where the rest of the bigger brown wires go. (which is on the top of the cylinder in picture 3 for emike) (i guess since i dont have the cylinder they just go to the frame.)

#23 ·
ohhh, thank you very much. ill try that tomorrow when i get home and ill let you know how it works. so the brown wire that comes out of the plug is the one that goes to nothing then correct?

#25 ·
i have tried just attaching those 2 wires and nothing happened. could it be another problem somewhere within the quad or could it just be since my set up is diiferent?

#26 ·
im trying to get some pictures up, but im not quite sure how to do it yet. i think i got some on. so if you could please look at them and let me know what you think. thank youu

Attachments

#27 ·
Hey atvman,

According to the photos that should have worked. From what I understand you have awd working all the time now but you can't disengage it into 2 wheel drive with the way it is wired, Is this right? If so try disconnecting the brown wire from the jumper. Do you still have 4x4?

#28 ·
wornouthorse,
i had bought the quad used and the man said he always kept it in 4x4. and one day i jacked it up and tested the 4x4 and it always is on. i had never driven the quad in 2x4. so yes your corrected and i had just disconnected the jumper and brown wire and i still had 4x4 on all the time. awhile i had even disconnected the white plug and it still worked also i had taken apart the yellow switch up up top too once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.