Polaris ATV Forum banner

1999 polaris xplorer 400 electrical issues??

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tt425 
#1 ·
So i just bought this thing last weekend. The solenoid was clicking but wont start it... it will start with the recoil. I ordered a new solenoid cause im pretty sure its bad. Anyway should I have lights and gauges with just the key turned on and it not running?? the winch works so Im sure the battery is good. The lights work with it running but im thinking they should come on while it is not running and just the key is on... let me know if im thinking right here... what could the issue be if i am correct??

#2 ·
wisemind2,
I am trying to figure out if the solenoid was in fact the problem or not.
I have a 2000 Xplorer 400 that does the exact same thing, only mine is intermittent. Sometimes it'll start with the electric, sometime it won't, the solenoid clicks when it won't start. It always pull starts just fine though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

#4 ·
More than likely it's going to be a ground wire problem or the key switch. Clean all ground connections at solenoid,starter and ignition coil. It wouldn't be a bad idea to spray contact cleaner on the electrical box and switches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.