Polaris ATV Forum banner

ugh, this clutch/belt

15K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  potatoe 
#1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I bought a 02 polaris sportsman 500 HO. I have done all the usual maintanance so far, but the clutch is still giving me trouble. When I first put the belt on it is fine. Once I drive anywhere it hangs up. It just will not disengage all the way. I have had both clutches off and they are clean. I did notice some small stress cracks starting in the base of the primary clutch. I have seen those on sleds and its not great, but not all that bad. When I pulled the secondary clutch apart I noticed there is a Hot Seat Preformance clutch kit, spring and helix. Would this require a different belt? I am really getting frustrated. I went and bought the correct polaris belt ends in 69. engine has engine braking as well if that makes a difference. the collar locks one way and spins free the other. This is correct as far as I can tell. Am I missing something? Any ideas would be great and appreciated. Engine idle is as low as it can be and it seems the belt is just to tight. Is there an adjustment somewhere? There is no play in either of the shafts either.

Thank you

#2 ·
one of the clutches has a wear grove in it causing it to hang up.

#4 ·
are the belts burning or chewing away ? my bosses sportsman had those cracks likly from heat ? and it would chew up belts fairly quickly .....also check the clutch alignment

#5 ·
This is called creeping and from what I’ve seen the main problem is that; there’s 2 shims, one on each side of the one way bearing in the primary clutch. The shims wear out primarily the one on the out side of the bearing (furthest away from the engine). Once this happens the belt jumps over one grove on the one way bearing which allows the belt to ride on the side of the clutch keeping it engaged and causing the belt to wear into the clutch sheave. If this happens and you continue to ride the wheeler will need a new clutch if you catch it early enough ie. Right now just a rebuild will be fine. Your local dealer will be able to split the clutch and rebuild it for you. The last 2 I have had done cost about $250.00 but that’s weights, rollers/washers, shims, pins, belt and labor. or $480.00 for a new clutch. Many people have told me to clean the clutch with brake clean and get a new belt and you’ll be fine (it never worked). I’m about 90% sure it’s the outer shim, this shim is made out of a plastic compound and once your clutch gets hot from mudding in high range or haling heavy loads in high it melts the shim.

#6 ·
that should be the only belt you need and 69 is correct. since you know the rear has been apart ,i take it the spring is in the proper holes and preloaded correcly?? not missing a shim on the trans.shaft?? all the motor mounts look good?? belt alignment

#8 ·
not totally sure i think there is shims behind the secondary clutch when you remove it they look liek washers ? thats my guess my trailblazer has these as does my edge x 500 snowmobile

#9 ·
I just replaced my primary clutch (brand new from polaris) due to it coming apart due to stress cracks and rebuilt the secondary with new rollers and spring now having problems with it creeping forword and backward dealer told me try shiming the secondary and alinging the clutches with new belt will let u know how it works (did i mention my leg still hurts after 3 weeks)

#10 ·
stress cracks on clutch

I just installed a EPI clutch kit on my sportsman 700 went on one ride a put a new belt on and because I had a cheap belt on before. while inspecting the primary clutch I noticed about four small cracks on the outside sheave. I hope there not caused by the clutch kit, getting tired of throwing money at this bike.

#11 ·
You are right,I have tried to find out why my 2000 magnum 325 hds is creeping very bad after much checking/adjustment etc, removed cover and rode, to find belt when cold was ok few minutes riding would hang up on drive clutch. on inspection the center part of ebs is moving just as you describe causing the belt to ride up against inner face and rotate.And over the pond here parts are $$$ will try re shim and new belt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.