Polaris ATV Forum banner

99 polaris xplorer 400 issues need help please

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Beenthere 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so i bought this thing and think i got taken... but i need some help getting it going. It wasn't starting but had power and all that good stuff. (it would start w/ pull start) I put new starter on it, had the battery tested, and new relay. Now after i installed the new starter i went to start it, everything was connected good...hit the starter button the starter engaged and then that was it, lost all power it seemed like, high beam headlight wont even work now. I'm still geting power to the starter w/ a test light and everything that should be getting power is according to my test light but when i hit the start button nothing... not even a click out of the solenoid... any ideas? Should the starter have constant power...I mean should it have power when just the key is on w/ o hitting the starter button??

#2 ·
You will have 12volt hot to starter solenoid but only to one side. If you have 12 volts to both side you have a bad solenoid. Do you have the battery hoked up correctly? + side is usually in the front and goes to the solenoid. Sounds like you maybe hooked up backward and blew a fuse.

#4 ·
Now you need to check your ground cable. Is it mounted to the frame? If it is you need another cable going from frame to engine block. I dont have that model quad but my Scrambler has cable at top rear of engine.

#8 ·
You need to check your ground for good connection, it could be corroded or rusted and not grounding correctly. I would take it apart and clean up then reassemble it and then try starting your quad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.