Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Member #5267
help changning oil in sportsman 500 HO

I can find the oil filter but can't remove it (too tight). I can find the "Oil Fill" bolt and can remove it but apparently that is not where i drain the oil...

Where is the oil Drain plug?
How do i remove the Oil Filter?
what kind of oil do i put into it?

Please help. The Polaris dealer is an hour away and there is a 2-3 hour wait, so just for an oil change it will take me 4-5 hours if i go to them.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
I'm not sure what "oil fill" hole you found. You have an oil reservoir underneath your left fender. The fill tube/dipstick is inside your left footwell, just below the filter. The reservoir has a drain plug in the bottom of it, facing the left tire. Remove it and let the oil drain. Then with the switch off, pull your recoil rope 10-12 times wait a couple of mins and do it again. Repeat a couple of times. That will get most of the oil out of the engine sump and into the reservoir. It's a lot easier than pulling the plug under the crankcase. Change your filter with a filter wrench. I use one that has a metal band and swiveling handle that tightens the band using leverage. Put towels or rags under the filter to avoid a mess. Lubricate the o-ring of the new filter with a little bit of oil before putting it on. Tighten it approx. a quarter turn past hand tight. Be sure and put your drain plug back in the reservoir, the pour in 2 quarts of a good, full synthetic, 0w-40. Check the depth on the dipstick. Crank the engine for a few seconds, then shut it off. The oil level on the dipstick should have dropped a little when it pulled oil into the engine. Top off the reservoir and you're done.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5254
Send a message via Skype™ to WilliamBos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
I'm not sure what "oil fill" hole you found. You have an oil reservoir underneath your left fender. The fill tube/dipstick is inside your left footwell, just below the filter. The reservoir has a drain plug in the bottom of it, facing the left tire. Remove it and let the oil drain. Then with the switch off, pull your recoil rope 10-12 times wait a couple of mins and do it again. Repeat a couple of times. That will get most of the oil out of the engine sump and into the reservoir. It's a lot easier than pulling the plug under the crankcase. Change your filter with a filter wrench. I use one that has a metal band and swiveling handle that tightens the band using leverage. Put towels or rags under the filter to avoid a mess. Lubricate the o-ring of the new filter with a little bit of oil before putting it on. Tighten it approx. a quarter turn past hand tight. Be sure and put your drain plug back in the reservoir, the pour in 2 quarts of a good, full synthetic, 0w-40. Check the depth on the dipstick. Crank the engine for a few seconds, then shut it off. The oil level on the dipstick should have dropped a little when it pulled oil into the engine. Top off the reservoir and you're done.

Thanks. Will this be the same for the Sportsman 400 HO? You pull off the plug wire when you crank after the oil change? Or just use the recoil, with the key off? So, this is a dry sump system then?

Will

2004 GMC 1500CC Z71.

2012 Sportsman 400HO
4,400+kms and counting

Free Service Manuals.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...s-manuals.html
Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
Should work with the 400 too. Just do it with the key off. All you're doing is using the rope to turn the crank and oil pump, which pushes the oil back to the reservoir.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5254
Quote:
Should work with the 400 too. Just do it with the key off. All you're doing is using the rope to turn the crank and oil pump, which pushes the oil back to the reservoir.
Thanks!!

Will

2004 GMC 1500CC Z71.

2012 Sportsman 400HO
4,400+kms and counting

Free Service Manuals.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #3001
so what if you no rope ? The 2009 has no rope !
Thanks
Rear grab bar - Polaris hand guards- HD Springs (front)
Front rack extender - ATV Guru Brush guard
12X7 ITP Delta wheels- 27X9X12(F) 27X12X12(R)Mud Lite XL
Nerf Bars from Outlaw Fabrications - Maier fender flares-
3-way headlight mod

1996 Trailboss 250
Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Member #5438
Quote:
Hi,
Is this different on a 2000 Magnum 325? Going to be doing mine ASAP and looking for the easiest method...Thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
Well, with no rope, you get to experience the joy of pulling the drain plug on the crankcase. Either that or buy all the parts to convert yours to recoil start.

I don't know for sure if it'll work on the magnums, but I would think that it should.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5254
Did they elinimate the recoil on the 09 and up Sportsman 500HO?

Will

2004 GMC 1500CC Z71.

2012 Sportsman 400HO
4,400+kms and counting

Free Service Manuals.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:57 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #6458
yes they did

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
how many quarts of oil does a polaris sportsman 500 take
how many quarts of oil in a polaris sportsman 500
how much oil does a polaris 500 take
how much oil does a polaris sportsman 500 hold

how much oil does a polaris sportsman 500 take

type of oil for polaris sportsman 500

what kind of oil does a polaris sportsman 500 use

what kind of oil for a polaris sportsman 500
what kind of oil for polaris sportsman 500
what kind of oil for sportsman 500

what kind of oil goes in a polaris sportsman 500

what type of oil does a polaris sportsman 500 take
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.