Polaris ATV Forum banner

2005 Scrambler battery problems

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  3 Polaris Atvs 
#1 ·
Anybody on here have battery problems?

Here's the one going problem I've had for 3 years now and no one in the service departments in two shops has been able to diagnose it problerly as it keeps coming back.

3 years ago I was out ice fishing and when laeving my quad wouldn't turn over it would just make a clicking noise when the key was turned to start it. I wound up pull starting it and making it out of there. A few weeks later i was up in the hills and stopped for a moment. I then tried to start it and it did the same thing. This time I could get it pull started, it would run for a few seconds then die.
I brought it to the shop to see if they could fix it and they explained to me that it was a bad battery. They replaced the battery and it worked...... for about a month, then it started again, but this time I would be riding and it would just stall out at speeds around 35-40 MPH. I would then have to wait for a few seconds then pull start it because the ignition would make that clicking noise again.
This year, thinking it was the shops lack of knowledge, I switched shops and they threw a few parts at it. It worked again for a month or so, but went back to it's old habits of draining the battery and not starting. i'm confused why two shops have missed the problem and wondering if any of you have had similar problems.
I'm thinking that's its a parasitic drain somewhere in the electrical lines, but there's so many different things it does that there's really no pattern. It starts fine then it doesn't, it dies while moving, the battery goes dead within a month of fully charging it, so on and so forth.
Any ideas?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Going to need more information. When it does not start, how do you know the battery is dead? After you pull start it will it start again after riding a while? Do you own a small volt meter you can bring with you? You can buy a cheap one at HF for 3 bucks. Bring the volt meter with you and when it clicks then check batter voltage. Should be more than 12 volts. Watch the volt meter while trying to crank and see what it reads. Move your + test lead to the starter side of the solenoid and check your voltage while cranking, should be the same as the battery while cranking. If not then you need a solenoid. Check all ground cables. Make sure they are tight. I have never looked for one on my 500 but I stripped a 400 and there was a short cable between engine and frame. Make sure it is there. That will give you something to start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.