Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Member #5977
2007 Sportsman 500 EFI electrical and/or fuel pump problems

Hello,

I have a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI with about 200 miles on it. The other day I went to turn it on and the digital display starts going wacky (technical term, right?). It's cycling off and on, all the normal electronic startup sounds repeating all over again. However, I can't actually start the engine, power just keeps cycling but never on long enough to start the engine.

At some point over the past few days of following wires, I have isolated a constant hum (or buzz) to the fuel pump inside of the fuel tank. When I unplug the wires connected to the fuel pump, the buzz goes away and the display will come on for a bit, go off, come back on. When I plug the wires back to the fuel pump, the display stays off and the buzz returns.

I tried pulling the fuel pump out just a bit to see what's underneath, look for anything obvious (as if I know what that would be). Nothing stands out, buzz still there.

So any thoughts - do I have a bad fuel pump? Is it not providing the expected "signal" to the ECM and preventing my display from working properly? Or is my ECM bad and messing with the fuel pump? Or is it something else like a regulator?

Thanks for any feedback!
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Member #6236
I am having the exact same problem. 2007 sportsman 500 efi... startup sequence keeps recycling, sometimes display is blank with a hum. Engine turns over and starts for a second before dying. I charged the battery overnight and the bike ran fine for about 15 minutes today before dying. Hopefully a new battery will be the fix.

OP: Have you determined your problem yet?

Help!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM

Member #7315
I am having exact same problem, Has anyone figured out what it is tet. I bought a new ignition switch but that did not work and now I am thinking ECM. Anyone know?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Member #6236
My bike has been at the dealership for about 2 weeks now getting this fixed and a couple recalls done. I'll post what the fix was when I get it back. I'm willing to bet it is either the ECU or PCM....
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
OMG..... the same problem I had with a buddies `07 500 efi.

Turn the key to the ON position, some times it would cycle, then not.
I think the whining sound is the fuel pump pressurizing.
I also heard what sounded like a ticking noise coming from
the throttle body. Just looked up the part and it was either
the Sensor-throttle position or the motor-isc stepping.

When the pod would stay lit (after many cycle tries), the key start wouldn't work,
just a tick sound from the starter and the solenoid ticking.
So I installed a new battery.

I jumped the lugs on the solenoid and it would start right up.
Let it run for awhile, turn off, then key on the ON position pod would light up,
then the turn to the start position and the starter would crank over and start
the frickin thing.

I cleaned every connection I could think of and even took the ignition switch apart,
the Run-off assembly apart and cleaned, still nothing seemed to make it work like it should.

Then when it sat overnight when it was rainy & cold, it took forever for the pod to light up and stay on enough
to lug jump start. Then back to like nothing was wrong.

I never did figure it out and came to the conclusion it's obviously an electrical problem some where.
My buddy informed he used it to jump start his sons atv, then informed me it started doing this after he got it stuck in deep mud up to the front fenders.

I also will be watching this thread if someone finds the problem.

1998 Scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke (SOLD)

Last edited by scottdeet; 09-23-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added about new battery.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Member #7488
run ecu diagnostics. turn key on and off 3 times leaving it in the on position on the third. your display will read wait for a few seconds and then numbers will show up if there is a problem.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntr_78 View Post
run ecu diagnostics. turn key on and off 3 times leaving it in the on position on the third. your display will read wait for a few seconds and then numbers will show up if there is a problem.
Did the diagnostics check, came up clean with no codes.
With the problem in question, it's hard to even get to
the diagnostics mode.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Member #7608
I found when the battery gets low and you jump off the atv to start it something shuts down the electrical system. I'm having the same problem with my atv. I put a new battery in and checked everything eles including I installed a new solenoid. The problem is the atv has shut down the system to keep from over charging the thing. what we need to find is how to reset the thing and its done through the reverse limiter and the speed odometer? the problem we need is how to do that.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
Hear anything yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakulatp View Post
My bike has been at the dealership for about 2 weeks now getting this fixed and a couple recalls done. I'll post what the fix was when I get it back. I'm willing to bet it is either the ECU or PCM....
bakulatp,

Any updates as of yet, did the dealer come close the problem at all?
My buddy is finally taking his to a dealer now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
fuel pump, sportsman 500 efi

Search tags for this page
2007 polaris 500 efi problems
2007 polaris 500 ho sportsman recalls
2007 polaris sportsman 500
2007 polaris sportsman 500 efi
2007 polaris sportsman 500 efi problems

2007 polaris sportsman 500 efi recalls

2007 polaris sportsman 500 fuel pump

2007 polaris sportsman 500 problems
2007 polaris sportsman 500 recall
2007 polaris sportsman 500 recalls
2007 sportsman 500 efi recall
how to find out if my 2007 sportsman has recalls
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.