Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Member #428
Idles fine / Only runs when choked

I have searched and found no answers. I have a 2003 sportsman 700 HO. Hereís my problem: 2 weeks ago I was using my machine to put in some food plots. I was working it real hard all day. Late in the day, it started running bad. It would back fire and hesitate. If I choked it a little bit, it would run fine. It still would idle normal and I didnít have any problems starting it. I brought it home and this is what Iíve done so far. I changed plugs and installed a new fuel filter and new gas. I cleaned the carb (using carb cleaner, I didnít disassemble the carb). I also replaced the carb boot. I starts and idles fine. When I give it gas it almost dies, but if I choke it a little bit, all is fine.
What could be causing the problem? Should I rebuild the carb? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
it still sounds like you may have some dirt in the carb.yet. try cleaning the pilot jet,normally they are right beside the main jet, just remove it with a screwdriver ,spray some carb.cleaner thru it and some compressed air and all is good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2009 ktm 50 sx runs only with choke on

atv only idles with choke on

atv only runs with choke on

atv run with choke on

atv runs better with choke on

atv runs only choked
atv will only run with choke on

ktm 50 only runs with choke on

ktm 50 sx only runs with choke

ktm only runs with choke on

polaris predator 50 only runs with choke on
polaris scrambler 50 only runs on choke
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.