Polaris ATV Forum banner

06 Sportsman ECM/ Rectifier question

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  FPD218 
#1 · (Edited)
I have recently acquired a 2006 Sportsman 450. The ECM was replaced on recall in August 2015 (previous owner, confirmed by dealer). As luck would have the NEW one also crapped out. The internal voltage regulator, inside the ecm of course, is not working and battery over charges to 18V at 3000 rpm+ (tested with meter)

My question is, has anyone tried to put in an external regulator between the stator and ecm or between the ecm and the battery to regulate the voltage going to the battery? The ecm is $150 retail and regulators are cheaper than that.

I have a new ecm on order at dealer, but I am curious if this would work.

Thanks for any replies and advice you may have to offer!!!

#2 · (Edited)
Here is my story...

2006 Sportsman 450. Carburated model Exact same situation... Battery at 18 volts when running at anything beyond idle. Ignorance was bliss, and managed to fry a battery. Maybe lucky the poor thing didn't catch fire?

It is now the spring of 2022, and the replacement module from polaris is backordered, with no promise of delivery any time soon. No one else makes a replacement which also controls the rad fan and hosts a couple of circuit breakers. Not good. Simple tests on the stator were good - even resistance across any two of the leads, no resistance to ground.

But, the local auto electric dealer came to the rescue with a motorcycle part that I wired in to bypass the function in the stock module. Manufacturer is TRANSPO, part number S1002UHD. Black box with three yellow wires for the stator connections, black for ground, red to the battery. I did not have to cut any of the stock wiring harness. Spade connectors crimped onto the yellow wires and stabbed into the stator outputs at the junction behind the rad and under the headlight (yellow wires that go into the ECM connector). Black wire to the frame for ground. New red crimped on to get all the way back to the positive terminal on the battery. I ran this wire inside the split loom for the winch positive cable. Tidy and a bit of protection. I mounted the Black Box unit to the 'passenger side' of the CDI with a couple of self-tapping screws into the frame gusset. Be careful as the plastic gas tank is right there. The connector to the ECM was left in place, as is. Except that it no longer gets current from the stator.

All electrical functions appear normal. Battery is happy at 13-ish volts while running 5000 RPM. It is still pretty cool in Manitoba, Canada in early May, so the fan won't be starting up yet. I'll be watching for this on the first warm day ride.

BTW, these electrical system on these ATV.s have a 'Diagnostic Mode'. Press and hold the yellow button on the left hand grip while starting. The display will indicate the software version for a moment, then cycle through a few functions every time that you hit the yellow button. One is real-time volts. Wish I had know about this last year! Also displays RPM, and resistance (?) depending the shifter position. There is a Service Interval option. By default, set to OFF. I can get the details on all of these if someone needs.

A big help with all of this was getting the Service Manual. Some scouring on the internet and ten bucks and I had a PDF copy. Highly recommend it. It includes trouble shooting info for all electrical systems and has an accurate wiring diagram. Eesy-peasy for the auto-electric guru to find a suitable part for me.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.