Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 AM

Member #7302
CV boot clamp

2008 Sportsman 500, needed to replace the front outer boot. I have replaced all boots on my 2001 Sportsman 400 with a tool used to tighten bands without a problem. See tool at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/sch...s%20pliers.jpg

I could not stretch these bands without damage due to the extreme force required. Off to dealer. He had same identical tool and ended up tearing out the tool slots in the band. Made me buy a new band. He proceeded to try the second clamp with the same tool, but saw again he was going to ruin the band. So, he found a similar tool, except this one had flat tips rather than pointed tips and was able to stretch the bands without damage. The pointed tool fits into the band slots trying to tear them due to the extreme force required to close, versus the flat tip tool spanned the slots and did not tearing them. He said the tool came from Polaris and could not order/sell me one. I have searched all local auto parts stores for a similar tool and cannot find one that will open far enough to fit the band. Anyone know where I can find this tool as this will not be the last boot I have to replace? The tool has to be heavy duty as these bands require a lot of force to close for some reason. Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:41 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #4417
is this it? this is what i use for all bands with the ears.

Lisle 30800 CV Boot Clamp Pliers
Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 AM

Member #7302
Josh,

Thanks for reply. I think I looked at that tool and it does not open far enough. Must have about an inch of opening to get the band started to close. I have never seen any bands so hard to close as on this 2008. As I said, the dealer mechanic ruined one of my bands. With the pliers similar to yours, he had to use major strength to get the band to stretch and lock closed. I stopped at another brand dealer and their mechanic pulled out a plier similar to yours and I said it was too weak. He put it on my closed band and squeezed and his plier handles flexed till they touched each other and never moved the band! So much for cheap stuff.

tom
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #4417
the ones posted acuatlly have a square cut out in them to accept breaker bar handles. i have had incredible amounts of force on them and have never bent a handle. not sure how a cv band cuold be that tight, as i have put many on with this tool to the point that the band is cutitng throught the boot.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 AM

Member #7302
Josh,

The pliers the mechanic bowed handles were not the same brand as yours. I am going to see if I can find the Lisle 30800 around here and have a look see if they will open far enough. The Polaris mechanic that got the clamp in position was a fairly young fellow, strong, and used everything he had with both hands to finally get it clamped!

Tom
Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
On some of the older atv's I have used a 1/4" wide 24" long cable tie(zip tie) and cut the excess off. I have also used a Lisle #30500. Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2620
NAPA sells a nice one for $35.00 and it works great for my bands on a 95 Magnum
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 AM

Member #7302
Hey Fellas:

I have done some more research into my boot band problem. Go to the following website and search for each of the following tools:

Welcome to SPX Polaris

It is where Polaris dealers go to buy stuff and us common folks cannot purchase items from them. When the tool number comes up, click on the tool number and a picture of the tool and mating bands will show.

Tool 8700226 Boot clamp pliers for EAR type bands

Tool 8700225 Boot clamp pliers for EARLESS type bands. (tool like I have and used on my 2001 Sportsman400)

Tool PU-48951 Boot clamp pliers for STEPLESS type bands This is the type of bands now on the 2008 Sportsman 500 and as I have said before are a nightmare to install.

So, now I have to find another makers tool like it for future use. I sure am not going to pay $91.25 plus dealer markup! I am meeting the Snap-on dealer today to see what he might have. Any ideas where to find one?

Thanks for all you suggestions.

Tom
Old 09-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6548
find another shop and throw the mechnic a 20 and have him order it for you
2006 polaris 500 ho efi E.B.S. sportsmen k&n air filter . Genesis performance module . Hand gards . Back work lights .Front & back bumpers. 2500lbs warn polaris winch. A-arm covers front & back .Front & back rack extenders- Mossy oak soft bags & Rear passanger foot rests .Big wes cargo box .and a 60" polaris plow and a polaris gun side scabberd with 800 miles. Camo water grapics on the hand gards ,speedo mount, front plate,and shifter knob & gas cap- rear storage lid. 3 way head lite mod. Swamp lite 27s on itp ss 212 machined rims 12in. tall clear polaris lock & go wind sheild

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
8700226 pliers
atv cv boot clamps
cv boot clamp pliers: 8700226
polaris boot clamp pliers
polaris boot clamp tool
polaris cv boot band tool
polaris cv boot clamp

polaris cv boot clamp pliers

polaris cv boot clamp tool

polaris cv boot clamps
polaris cv boot pliers
polaris cv boot tool
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.