Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Member #4651
04 700 EFI run condition, pops and backfires???

Looking for help with this one! A bubby of mine and I are trying to figure out what my ride is doing. It is a 2004 1/2 Sportsman 700 EFI. The quad start and run great but when you are riding about 35 or so at a steady speed it stutters and a light backfiring or popping sound comes from the exhaust. This is not constant, it will be running good and then pop once or twice and then be good for a while and then pop and sputter again.

We have done the blink code check, found a code 52. This is listed as a #2 injector code so we check and cleaned the power and ground connections on injector. Ran the quad and still have the run condition explained above but no code is triggered now.

We loaded it up and took it to the dealer and had then check the computer with their system. There system shows everything is in line, no codes.

We are down to checking the electrical and ignition system out including new plugs.

It has fresh gas in it with injector cleaner. I have ran this in the last two tanks thinking it was a fuel issue. I have also changed the air filter and pre-filter.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what may be causing this??

Last edited by fasterthebetter; 09-23-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Member #4651
Got it I think! Cleaned every ground I could find, cleaned the plug that goes into the ECM, installed new spark plugs and cleaned the plug wires up good! Also found mud in the radiator area so cleaned that out real good. So far it runs cooler (I have a cool analog gauge, a must item) and the run condition seems to be gone! Not sure what it was that fixed it but itís gone! My code 52 seems to be cleared also!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2002 polaris ranger backfires and pops
2008 polaris ranger 700 back fires
polaris 700 backfiring
polaris 700 ranger backfire

polaris ranger 700 backfire

polaris ranger 700 xp backfires

polaris ranger backfire

polaris ranger backfires

polaris ranger backfiring

polaris ranger tm backfiring issue
polaris sportsman 700 efi backfiring
ranger 700 backfires
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.