Leaking from front hub seal 99 sportsman 500 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
RMR

Leaking from front hub seal 99 sportsman 500

Not sure I'm using the right terms. Just bought it a month ago. After first ride, noticed the inside of front right wheel was wet with fluid. It came from the backside of the hub. Spoke with the local dealer mechanic. Told me is was the backside seal and showed me how to replace it. to be clear, its the extremely hard plastic feeling one that has to be tapped in to place to seat, then retained by the tabs on the disc.
Filled it up then turned to the 4 oclock position to drain to appropriate level. It sat in the garage for a week with no residual leaks.
Went for a ride yesterday...wheel was wet again. I made sure I put it in correctly. Will check fluid level tonight to see how much came out. I tightened the nut to the same thread depth as it was previously on and placed kotter pin. Any thoughts on what I may need to re-due correctly or replace instead? Thanks in advance.

2015 Sportsman Touring 1000 XP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Do the handle bars wobble while driving? If so try spinning the hub up front by hand and see if it wobbles. If not jack the rear of the quad up and run it. If the front tire wobbles you found the problem.

I am dealing with this issue on my '02 500 sportsman. The front tire will spin nice and true when jacked up, but when you run the quad with the rears in the air it wobbles. This is because the front axles spin regardless if its in 4x4 or not. I have come to the conclusion that the axle is a bit bent from the CV joint outward. So, as the front axle spins it throws the seal off its mating surface and the oil leaks.

Something to think about.

wreckmaster
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
RMR

Wreck,
I will give that issue a look. If it does not appear to wobble, I will dissasemble and be sure I put it all back together right. Thinking about how that seal is so solidly in place, hard to believe any amount of flex short of the kind that would be self evident while riding..could allow oil to get past. But I agree it certainly possible. Will let you know what I figure out.

And Bruce, glad to be hear. Been a street bike guy for 20 years. The ATV thing is a new challenge. But lovin every minute of it! Colorado is a great place to do it.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM

Make sure the front hubs are tightened properly, just because it was put back to where it was before, doesn't mean thats right. Tighten the nut in until you cant go any further by finger, then a little more with a pair of pliers, then back it off a bit and put the cotter pin back in, if the hub is loose, it wont sit squarely on the seal and will therefore leak.

2001 sportsman 500
26" swamp pro's
3" offset rims
54" snorkels
K&N filter/dynojet cark kit
RAD ON FRONT RACK-best mod ever
Heel Clicker clutch-amazing
2" super atv lift-gotta go

99 sportsman 500
it 589's
snorkels
RAD ON FRONT RACK
2" lift
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
RMR

Jon,
I think you are on to something. The mechanic was quick to tell me not to put the nut on too tight. So I placed it to the same thread depth as before, which was far from bottomed out. I will do as you instructed. That response makes the most sense. Thank you.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

yeah,what jon said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should not be put on dry,,,,,,,,,,just a little grease on the lipseal that spins.tiny bit, only on the edge.

01SCRAM500/1-1/2" SPACERS/KENDA KLAWS/DOUGAS RIMS/GEN4 BUMPERS/CARBMOD/UNI/OWN AIRBOXMOD/Aaen/SUPERTRAPP/PILOT LITES/MASTERLOCK WINCH/POLARIS SPEEDO/97 TRAILBLZER 250/HIGH COMP/SHRIMPLITES/PAINTED BLUE/400CC CARB/MOOSE/Aaen PIPE/FMF SILENCER.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode