Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Member #7953
2006, Polaris Phoneix 200

I'm no mechanic, but I'll do anything on my own to save money.

I've been having starting problems with my ATV lately. I bought a new spark plug, installed it, bought a new battery and installed that too. Cranks real clean now. I haven't started it in about 5 months since I use to have a bad battery.

Now that it starts and idles, if I try to press the gas even a little, it cuts off. (It has a full tank of gas, also). [But that's the problem. Press the gas even by a centimeter, it'll cut off.]

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Im sure your carb is very dirty from letting fuel sit inside of it for 5 months. Was any type of fuel stabil used?

You have two options basically.

1) carbs are easy when you know what you are doing, but can be very confusing and frustrating if you dont understand how they work. The carb is ultimately probably going to be needed to be taken apart, cleaned, and all the jets replaced. My recommendation to you, to save you some money, but make sure the carb is done right, is to remove the carb yourself, and then take the carb only to the dealer or a small engine mechanic to have it cleaned and re-assembled. Its pretty basic to remove and install the carb, you should have no problem doing that, just will need a little bit of time. Expect about an hour to hour and a half of labor and $20-$30 in parts if you go to a shop. Bringing in just the carb will proabably run you about $100 at most shops. Bring in the entire machine and it will probably run you about $150

2) i might try this first though.
You will need fresh gas in the tank. If that gas in there now is 5 months old, suck it out and get rid of it.
Get a bottle of seafoam, which you should be able to get at an auto parts store or your dealer.
Get a bottle of ether, brake cleaner, contact cleaner, or starting fluid in an aerosol can.
Get a buddy or friend to help you out.

What you need to do is to mix in, according the the directions, the seafoam into the fresh gas in the tank. Then you need to get the RPMS up. This is where one person uses the throttle to rev the engine, and the other person uses the aerosol can of any of the products listed before to keep the engine alive by spraying shots of it into the air filter element. Word of Caution*-These products are very flamable. Which means the burn hotter then the fuel will. Thats why i say to use shots of fluid. If it needs a steady stream of accelerant to run, just stop as you might end up burning up a valve. If it wont rev up on shots, its time to take the carb out.

The idea is you want to get as much fuel through the carb as you can. The seafoam mixed in with the fuel does a great job at cleaning out the carb as best as any product can. If the carb is too dirty, it will just need to be cleaned manually like a suggested in option 1.

Keep in mind, this machine is only air cooled, so you cant be revving it why not moving for more then a few minutes, so you may need to do this 5-6 times allowing the machine to cool back down 1-2 hours between each time. The other option if you can get it to run, is to ride it as hard as you can around your property. Even if it is choking and stuttering, if it will stay running, keep riding. Basically this tank of gas with seafoam is going to be a cleaning tank. If you havent seen any type of improvement, refer to option 1 at that point.

Last edited by blueline15; 10-07-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Member #7953
Thanks for the two options. I'll get right on #2. It'll take me about 2 weeks though since money's tight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2006 polaris 200 phoenix manual

2006 polaris 200 phoenix reviews

2006 polaris phoenix 200 carburetor

2006 polaris phoenix 200 oil change
cleaning a polaris phoenix carbeurator
free 2006 polaris phoenix manual
how to remove carb on polaris phoenix 200
polaris 200 carb cleaning
polaris phoenix 200 carburetor cleaning

polaris phoenix 200 oil change

polaris phoenix carb
polaris phoenix carb cleaning
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.