Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 04:51 AM

Member #8011
AGL Plus vs. Sportman's XP transmission oil

This might be a dumb question- but here goes it anyways! I am doing my 50 hour service on my '09 850 XP, the Polaris application chart says to use AGL Plus transmission oil Part # 2872068 which the dealer sold me, yet my service manual that I cross referenced it to when I got home says to use Sportsman's XP transmission oil Part # 2877606 which contradicts the dealer and Polaris's own application chart for the '09 XP. That being said, are they compatible for use- go with the chart and dealer's input or the manuals input. The oil I bought was in the ATV maintenance kit which comes with all the fluids and grease- which brings up another point. It has the All Season grease but not the U-joint grease, whats the difference? The Polaris site says the All Season grease isn't designed for the U-joints. Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Joel
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5005
You should need the transmission oil too.
Pure polaris lock & ride tall windshield
Pure polaris lock & ride gun scabbard
Pure polaris steel rear rack extender
ITP terra cross tires
Maxxis RAZR 4 speeds
UNI air filter
oury grips
RATH racing pre runner style chromoly bumper (front)
Ricochet Skid Plate (chassis)
Hot seat performance hypershift clutch kit
SSI decal kit
Powermadd handguard factory rider.

For any of your performance needs I would go with only Hotseat performance. I dont work for them just love there GREAT service and their amazing products[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:49 AM

Member #8011
Thanks Crimson, but that's what I'm asking- which one, the one that the dealer and the polaris oil application chart say to use or the one the service manual and the polaris website product description say to use- there is a contradiction between the two. I guess I need to email Polaris to get it straight from the source! I did call the dealer back and asked them about it and they still seemed unsure- they said I could use the AGL Plus but I could also come in and exchange it with the Sportsman XP transmission oil. I asked them if they where compatible and he said he thought one was going to replace the other but not sure...

Again, thankyou,
Joel
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
JCain, i can answer both of these questions for you....

Before the time of the XP, polaris had just their AGL tranny fluid. When the XP's first rolled out, they need a special kind of oil, so polaris just quickly made and bottled the XP transmission oil. They have sense worked on the AGL formula and have re-engineered the fluid to include the needs of the XP, and now call this new fluid AGL Plus. So you dont need the XP tranny fluid if you have AGL Plus tranny fluid, but if you had an old bottle of just AGL, you would not want to use that.

You dont need the U-Joint grease unless you are changing out a boot, and in that case, when you get the boot kit, it will come with a packet of pre-measured grease to put inside the boot on the U-joint. The all season grease is going to be the grease most commonly used on your machine, and go ahead and hit every zerk you can find with the all season grease. there are no zerks for the u-joint grease.

Hope i explained that well enough. Good questions!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 AM

Member #8011
Outstanding service, lol, thanks alot blueline! I'm in the garage right now changing what I can and was just about ready to call it quits until I could get an answer- then lo and behold, your response has come thru and saved the day... I was hoping it was compatible, saves me a trip back to the dealer.
Again, thank you very much for the help.

Joel
Old 10-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Member #8011
Okay, now I feel real dumb- I'm performing my 50 hr as I said, I meant to ask earlier too, if I'm nowhere near the hours or miles on the tranny, front or rear gearcases- do I still need to change it? It says to do it at 12 months or 1000 miles- I have had it for 2 years, 238 miles- absolutely baby it and keep it in my heated garage. I've never had it submerged either! That being said, should I change it because it's due the anual service even though it is pampered?

Again, thanks,

Joel
Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Thats really your call. The cases are sealed really well, but the fluid does break down over time. I would say, if you have the fluids with you already, and you are doing everything else, you might as well do the tranny and gearcases because they dont hold much fluid (so cost isnt bad) and its the insurance that you have fresh fluid in there. If you dont have the fluids, I wouldnt hesitate to still ride it, but....because its been 2 years, its not a bad idea.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1495
change frt diff often just for fun change it and let old oil sit for a week in a glass jar youll change it more often then there was a guy on here a while ago that was using motor oil in his trans id like to here more about this nobody can tell me the difference between agl and old xp tran oil ive been using amsoil 2000 gearcase in all my atv agl looked thin keep the shiney side up
Old 10-16-2010, 04:14 PM

Member #8011
Thanks guys, got 'er done!

Joel
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
2 years and 238 miles???!!!???
That machine is gonna lock up from lack of use!
You need to let me borrow it for a while and get it broken in good for ya...LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

agl plus

agl plus transmission fluid

agl plus transmission fluid equivalent
agl plus transmission fluid substitute

agl transmission fluid

polaris 2877606
polaris agl equivalent

polaris agl plus

polaris agl plus equivalent
polaris oil 2877606
sportsman xp transmission oil
what is agl oil
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.