Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 AM

Member #8420
2005 Polaris Ranger UTV 4X4 Starter Problem

Hello ATV Forum Members, I am in need of assistance figuring out what is wrong with my starter. First signs were the starter was sticking and would not spin freely to start the engine. I pulled the starter out, what a task that was. I opened up the starter to find the the positive brush was completely worn out. I ordered the part, replaced it and reinstalled the starter. Now the starter spins freely but does not engage the flywheel. I do not have a repair manual. During removal I did not see anything attached on the end of the spline gear shaft. I looked at the nose cone housing and inspected the gear the spline gear turns. The gear teeth were also in excellent condition. So what did I do wrong?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Sounds like in some way your starter bendix isn't engaging the flywheel
Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Member #8420
Thanks, but what would cause the abbendix not to engage? It was working before.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Member #8420
Anyone know how to change the direction the way a starter spins?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
while it is possible to reverse rotation on the starter motor( reverse polarity). it is not possible to do that with your machine or with the starter mounted to your machine , the wiring is not designed to do that . you will have to remove the starter. with the starter removed ,using a set of jumper cables ,you can check the starters operation , but it does sound, from what was written thus far that the starter drive is at fault ,unless the starter itself was not aligned properly
Old 10-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Member #8420
I will pull it out again on Tuesday, next week. Is it possible to not align it properly, there are only two mounting bolt holes?

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the reply.

Last edited by James.Neitzel; 10-22-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
i meant not quite aligned with the starter drive,you may try a little grease on the end off the starter to help align with the starter drive
Old 10-23-2010, 03:15 PM

Member #8420
I did put some synthetic high temp grease on the bendix gear and at the end of the starter shaft, but that doesn't mean it is aligned properly. I am going to check the basics one more time before I pull the starter all the way out. I will check the battery with a load test, perform a voltage drop test at the solenoid and at the starter. I will also disconnect, clean and retighten all electrical connections from the battery to the starter solenoid and starter, just to make sure. Is there any way to test the bendix without pulling the stator cover? I turned the bendix gear visible through the starter mouning hole with my finger in both directions and it performed as it normally does I think; in one direction it spins freely and the other directions it stops and you can feel the spring tension that forces the gear to make contact with the flywheel. Thanks for the reply.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
04polaris ranger starter change out
2004 polaris ranger 500 starter
2005 polaris ranger 500 starter problems
how to check starter on 04 polaris 500 ranger

polaris ranger starter

polaris ranger starter bendix removal
polaris ranger starter problem

polaris ranger starter problems

polaris ranger starter removal

polaris ranger starter repair
problem with a polaris ranger starter
starter hanging up on 2005 polaris ranger 4x4
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.