Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Member #8768
Sportsman 500 oil change

Hi, my sportsman is due for its oil change now. (06 sportsman 500 EFI)

its at its 50hr mark. so last night i drained out all of the engine oil from the resevoir. but the manual said something about doing something to the oil hose and draining an extra cup of oil from the right side crankcase.

so i looked around and found a little slot with a drain bolt, i un did the bolt and some kind of oil came out of it. i'm not sure if its engine oil or oil from somewhere else. it looked like engine oil.

i added two quarts of pure polaris to it and took it for a drive.

did i do this right? or did i drain something that i wasnt supposed to? thanks please help!

07 sportsman 500 efi
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
Sounds fine to me.

Next time you can avoid pulling the crank case plug by doing this:

After you drain the reservoir, with the ignition off, pull your recoil rope about 10 times. You'll see more oil drain from the reservoir. Repeat this a couple of times. When doing this, your oil pump is sucking up the oil in the crank case and sending it back to the reservoir.

As far as the "priming" step in the instructions, that can usually be skipped. After your oil change is complete and you have added your 2 quarts, your dipstick should show that it's over full. Crank the engine for a few seconds, shut it off, then check the oil again. It should now show that it is at the full mark, or just a little below. If it's still over full, you can try again and if it doesn't work, then you'll have to prime it.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 AM

Member #8768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Sounds fine to me.

Next time you can avoid pulling the crank case plug by doing this:

After you drain the reservoir, with the ignition off, pull your recoil rope about 10 times. You'll see more oil drain from the reservoir. Repeat this a couple of times. When doing this, your oil pump is sucking up the oil in the crank case and sending it back to the reservoir.

As far as the "priming" step in the instructions, that can usually be skipped. After your oil change is complete and you have added your 2 quarts, your dipstick should show that it's over full. Crank the engine for a few seconds, shut it off, then check the oil again. It should now show that it is at the full mark, or just a little below. If it's still over full, you can try again and if it doesn't work, then you'll have to prime it.

thanks for the i like this forum all of the sudden btw happy late veterans day

07 sportsman 500 efi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1997 polaris sportsman 500 oil capacity
1998 polaris sportsman 500 oil capacity
2000 polaris sportsman 500 oil

2000 polaris sportsman 500 oil change

how many quarts of oil does a polaris sportsman 500 take
how much oil does a polaris sportsman 500 take
oil change sportsman 500
polaris 500 oil change
polaris 500 sportsman oil change
polaris sportsman 500 oil capacity
polaris sportsman 500 oil change
sportsman 500 oil change
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.