Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9170
Rear Axle Removal

I purchased a 2000 500 Sportsman a couple weeks ago, and have found a number of surprises. I've purchased new complete replacement Axles/CV joints. I have the repair manual and tried briefly to pull them out by hand with quick sudden jerks as it describes, but appeared not to get anywhere. The CV joint on the one side already came apart as I was jerking on it. I'm fearful the previous owner used some parts that were not correct and might have damaged something. I've discovered that the outer portion of the CV joint that attaches to the Bearing Carrier is not correct for a sportsman. It had roller bearings in lieu of the sealed bearings. After doing some research it looks like the axles might have come from some other Polaris ATV or an older Sportsman.

Anyone have any tricks or suggestions for getting the axles out?

I also noticed in the manual that you are supposed to put anti-seize compound on the gears, which might be adding to my difficulty as I'm sure they didn't use any.

Last edited by Hullhorr; 11-24-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:40 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9170
Thanks Bruce!

I didn't find any info searching this forum before posting, but I did find some info on u-tube and doing some other internet searches. My problem is apparently a common one, and it's going to take some patience, band aids, and alot of yanking, pulling, prying, and pounding. I'll post what worked for me once I get it done.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9170
Finally Got it

Well I had to do a little thinking and then fabricate my own tool and walla I got them out. It turned out to be quite simple in the long run.

I'll share my method if anyone is interested. It requires some scrap steel, a welder, and a dent puller.

I had a bad CV joint so that side came apart as I was yanking on the axle to try and remove it. I cut the rubber boot off and the clamp and removed everything from that one side except the CV cup that was stuck in the trans. I cleaned up all the grease from the cup and got it nice and clean. I cut a piece of 1" x 1" x 1/4" steel angle using my portable band saw so it would fit with the one leg going inside the cup. I then cut another piece and did the same thing. I then clamped the 2-pieces together and welded them to each other. I then took a 3/4" steel coupling I bought at Home Depot and welded it to the flat side of the 2-angles welded together. My dent puller has a 3/4" threaded end on it that I could screw into the coupler.

I put the pieces I welded together into the CV cup and then welded it to it. I then screwed the dent puller to it and after a couple of good strikes with it, it came right out. This was very simple if you have a welder or access to one.

Once that one side was out I grabbed a piece of rebar I had in the garage and used it and a large hammer to pound out the other side.

I might have to make a bunch and try and sell them.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-046.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-047.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-048.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-049.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-050.jpg  

Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9170
More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-051.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-052.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-053.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-054.jpg   Rear Axle Removal-4-wheeler-055.jpg  

Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8639
Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. I had to do the same thing to one of my rear cv axles. I was begining to doubt myself after i put my slide hammer contraption on mine. I gave it 2 hard raps and it didnt move. The 3rd one was a charm. Could believe how hard it was to remove. Everyone told me it should pop right out.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9170
I heard the same thing. Anti-seize when you put the new ones in is the key.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
Great idea. While you are at that point it would be a good idea to check wheel bearings and seals. Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt425 View Post
Great idea. While you are at that point it would be a good idea to check wheel bearings and seals. Thanks
Yep, that was what started the whole process initially. I thought I was getting away with just the bearings, but turned into a bigger job as I dug in.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Member #19845
Thumbs down broke down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullhorr View Post
I purchased a 2000 500 Sportsman a couple weeks ago, and have found a number of surprises. I've purchased new complete replacement Axles/CV joints. I have the repair manual and tried briefly to pull them out by hand with quick sudden jerks as it describes, but appeared not to get anywhere. The CV joint on the one side already came apart as I was jerking on it. I'm fearful the previous owner used some parts that were not correct and might have damaged something. I've discovered that the outer portion of the CV joint that attaches to the Bearing Carrier is not correct for a sportsman. It had roller bearings in lieu of the sealed bearings. After doing some research it looks like the axles might have come from some other Polaris ATV or an older Sportsman.

Anyone have any tricks or suggestions for getting the axles out?

I also noticed in the manual that you are supposed to put anti-seize compound on the gears, which might be adding to my difficulty as I'm sure they didn't use any.

I,ve have the tool,had the same problem with 2004 500 ho ,cv barrel stade after pullind axel out of cv joint

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2001 polaris sportsman how to replace cv boots rear axle

atv axle puller

atv cv axle puller

cv joints tools for polaris
how to change rear axle on a 500 sportsman polaris 2001 4 wheeler

polaris axle removal

polaris axle removal tool

polaris cv axle removal
polaris cv joint puller

polaris rear axle removal

polaris sportsman rear axle removal

rear atv cv puller
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.