Our Hatfield & McCoy trip - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Ride Report Post pictures, maps, and discussions for your trail rides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Our Hatfield & McCoy trip

We just came back from our trip from the Hatfield & McCoy trails in southern WV. This was our 1st trip but I know it will not be our last. We had a great time and look forward to returning the next chance we get. Now, on to a few details about the trip. We decided to stay at the Buffalo Trails cabins located in Bluefield , WV. We rented one of their tree house units for our stay. Our unit was an efficiency unit with a full kitchen, bath and a queen bunk bed set up. It also had AC/Heat and a great front porch. There was a fire ring(firewood included) and picnic table. The cabin was great fit for my wife and I. We were able to buy our permits and get trail maps right on site. The property also had a really nice restaurant on site(open Thurs,Fri & Sat). We had dinner there one the nights and the food was great.

We started our 1st day on the Pocahontas Trail system. It had rained a couple days off & on before our arrival which put the trails in perfect condition. All the trails were very well maintained and very clearly marked. We kind of just leisurely rode, getting a feel for the place and deciding which trails we liked the best. It was a great day of riding, exploring new trails and meeting some nice people.

Day 2 saw us go back to the Pocahontas trail. We now had a good lay of the land and wanted to hit some of those trails hard. Being it was on Sunday, the traffic was at a minimum. I think we saw maybe 10 or 12 other riders all day. We got a ton of riding in and had a ball. We saw tons of wildlife on day 2( deer, turkeys, ruffed grouse & tons of squirrels) we even found some fresh bear tracks, but we never got a glimpse of Mr.Bruin.

Day 3 we decided to make the ride up to the Indian Ridge Trail system. We hit a couple trails on Pocahontas on our way to Indian Ridge. It was a nice long ride.

We stopped at Ashland Resort along the way to take a look at their facility. We liked the layout and we will be putting it on our list of places to stay. We then rode on what I would call the Indian Ridge North portion of the trail. The scenery was outstanding. The one trail winds you up the mountain giving you some beautiful views.

The last part of the ride found us in some really fun, muddy type trails. We took full advantage and had a blast.

A little mud selfie never hurt anybody!

All in all it was a great trip. We put on over 167 miles in the 3 days we were there. The people were very friendly and they welcome riders with open arms. We can't wait to go back!

2016 570 Sportsman EFI Sage Green(mine)
Badlands 3500 Lb Winch
Kenda Bear claws
GMX Aluminum Wheels
DXTrigger
DEI Titanium Exhaust wrap
Bison Hunter Front Brush Guard
Bison Hunter Rear Brush Guard

2015 570 Sportsman EFI Indy Red(hers)
Polaris 2500 lb Winch
Kenda Bear Claws
GMX Aluminum Wheels
DXTrigger
DEI Titanium Exhaust wrap
Bison Hunter Front Brush Guard
Bison Hunter Rear Brush Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:40 PM
ATV Enthusiast

I have never ridden an organized trail system but that place looks like a good bucket list place to hit.

USAF Retired
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Sounds like you had a great trip,Very nice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Ride Report

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode