Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Ride Report

ATV Ride Report Post pictures, maps, and discussions for your trail rides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Exclamation Jackman Maine Trail System

Evening guys,
We have just returned from a weeks riding these trails. GREAT TIME!!! We are going back next month for another week.

No breakage, All three machines worked perfectly. ('07 Yamaha Grizzly 350, '00 Trail Boss, & '07 700, '04 500, '10 550 Sports-mans) But we discovered that the 70-80 mile travel days are too much for my wife. We all know beginners and the sore thumbs associated with them. This was a big part, but the ruggedness of some parts of the trails. The ruts and washouts. She lacks the strength in her arms and goes so slowly (3-5 MPH we average about 15 MPH) see holds everyone back. On the open trails she was much better and would even improve more with more miles. She lasted three days before staying home one day then she rode "bitch" the rest of the week.

We had two brand new riders this trip! Both women. Both did very well overall and both had allot of fun! I KNOW they will be purchasing there own machines for next years trip. We went on a couple web sites looking at inventories.

I'll add some pics later, but there was seven people and six machines riding for five days. We started daily about 9 AM and returned about 5 PM. Only stopping for "nature calls and lunch. They where FULL beautiful days.. GREAT weather, we saw Deer, Moose, Grouse and Rabbits. All told we covered over 300 miles. We went to Canada one day (60 miles) and attempted to ride to Green-ville but figured it was too much for the new riders. (100+ mile round trip)

SO, now I'm converting my machine ('07 700 EFI) to two person setup. I swapped boxes with my pop as his is AWEFUL ('10 XP 550) with this two up box. (Moose Executive) The STD Sportsman is FAR better suited for this box. On the XP the back seat allows the passanger to slide out, there is NO support to hold them in the seat. It has a downward angle, caused by seat shape on the XP's. VERY uncomfortable for the passanger. The lack of foot rests and hand holds made things worse.

SO, currently I am "fitting" the Executive to my machines rear rack... I am making foot and hand holds and building them custom. I started with a frame work from light steel. I eliminated a couple factory self tapping bolts and thru drilled them for bolts and nylock nuts. I welded in later support and this will tie into the foot rests that will bolt to the foot wells using the two rear ward bolts and nuts. I would like to use someones folding foot rests. Next week or so I'll be checking out the local motorcycle shops. Looking for something. If anyone is interested, I can post pics of what I came up with.

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-08-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Talking Pics

Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

Old 07-18-2011, 03:37 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1414
hey CW
i know all about how the women folk get tired on the trail. my wife and daughter had about given up riding,then we bought them the xp eps quads and they are much happier and can ride longer. we have been to maine but not to ride,hope to ride there some day.great pics.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Thanks man,
We talked about that. Dunno its a possibility so is a RZR std. The narrow one. But down the road. For now we will ride dbl on my 700.

I spent yesterday mocking up foot pegs and reinforcing the plastic rack. Then tying it togather. Next ill make some hand holds and it will be ready for PT2 of our Maine excursion, next month!!

Ill start another thread on what im doing there incase anyone is interested. Here is a shot of the frame so far;

BTW I have a bunch of video clips still to be loaded to my UTube account. Ill link it once i get them there. But its under my screen name; CWLONGSHOT.

CW

Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-18-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1414
my wife did try the RZR after her king quad,her and daughter rode it for a year together and then it sat for awhile and when i asked what was up you where having fun for awhile she said it got to be like driving her truck around and thought she wanted a quad again. so she took my 850 out and i took the RZR for a day and she would not get off my 850 the whole day. the next saturday she bought her new 850 eps. 2 saturdays after she goes and buys daughter her new 550 eps. i now have 2 happy trail companions and that is good for me. good looking fab work there.

Last edited by SNW629; 07-18-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNW629 View Post
My wife did try the RZR after her king quad,her and daughter rode it for a year together and then it sat for awhile and when I asked what was up you where having fun for awhile she said it got to be like driving here truck around and thought she wanted a quad again. So she took my 850 out and I took the RZR for a day and she would not get off my 850 the whole day. The next Saturday she bought her new 850 eps. 2 Saturdays after she goes and buys daughter her new 550 eps. I now have 2 happy trail companions and that is good for me. Good looking fab work there.
LOL that's what I'm afraid of... As you know its not just buying a RZR... They are bigger and longer and trailering them requires bigger trailers... PLUS no guarantees its gonna "fix" problems.

My buddie is suggesting a EPS model too....

Thanks for the compliment!! Its a work in progress, from a idea in my head to reality. So for so good. I think its gonna work out OK. I have lost some room in the foot wells. I wanted folding pegs, but the ones I made angle in and don't really effect much yet should be comfortable. My buddie just bought the foot pieces the bolt to the rear portion of the foot well. But you loose everything behind the foot "peg". Mine will still allow most all of you heel to access the area when seated. When you stand, of coarse the new foot pegs will contact the back of the calf.

Hand holds are next... I wanted just "pegs" with a handle bar grip attached. But worry about bodily contact in event of crash. We don't need punctures... So now I'm thinking "D" handle or like a shovel handle.

I LOVE fabbing stuff!!

CW

Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-18-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1414
LOL,yeah i have had many trailers,about everytime my wife and daughter changed quads i needed a different trailer.
yeah being able to do your own fab work is a real plus. i can turn a wrench on about anything on wheels and do a tune/trigger job
on my sixguns but i stink at fabwork.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
LOL, Years ago, I started fabing up things for my Jeeps and then other people's then, then, then... I just LOVE sticking steel together and creating a useful product or improving on someone else's idea.

I have been up loading some video clips to UTube. They are from my EPIC camera. Quality is OK but the vibes form the machine cause some issues. I have to work something better out before next months continuation...

Anyway, here is a link to my UTube account... http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

Here is a couple more pics...

I didn't quite beat the timer on this one...

I was finally able to make it into position... LOL

CW

Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-18-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1414
would love to get up there to ride and we would bring our fishing gear also. be a least a 10 hour drive for me to get there.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Its over seven for us! We fished last year lots of trout and buku streams. I may bring a ice rod so it fits in my box and throw a spinner threw some of the nicer pools in some trail side streams I see. They look beautiful and I'll bet are full of native brookies. The water in Lil Enchanted lake ( Forks Maine) is said to be xcearest in the state. Its mighty clear you can see fifteen to twenty feet. Its also FULL of beautiful Brook Trout. But little else. Fly fishing rules up there.

Gotta work on the camera mount for the epic. Too much vibrations the way it is now. I also hope i can turn off sound. Its bad anyway and if i can group togather into a movie Ill add my own music.

Ill happly provide contact info for anyone who might also want to go. Lots of nice places to stay for good prices. Not alot of $$ up there, people are hard working and provide a excellent product at a fair price.

CW

Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-19-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Ride Report

Search tags for this page
atv jackman maine
atv trail map maine
atv trails jackman me
atv trails map jackman maine

jackman maine

jackman maine atv trail map

jackman maine atv trails

maine dual sport map
places to stay on the moose loop atv trails
polaris 550eps with moose rims and maxxis tires show picture
polaris maine
wells maine atv trails
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.