Polaris ATV Forum banner

Corona del Inca crater

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  gjlombardo 
#1 ·
The pictures below, were taken last weekend in the argentinian Andes of La Rioja province.
Mapsource coordinates S27 54.068 W68 50.025

"Google maps" screen capture. We climbed the crater from the south (observe the dry riverbed in the south wall)

This is one of the highest lakes in the world: 5433 meters (17813 ft)

A nice view of the extinct crater and its lake

My ATV (2010 Sportsman 500 HO)

"Selfie"

Panoramic view

A view from the driver's seat

Another "selfie"

Hope you enjoy it :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Cool pics.

#4 ·
Wow, must be a little hard to breath at that elevation? I have rode sleds to above 11000 and that will wind a guy out can't even imagine another 5000'. Nice ride though.

#5 ·
Great pics!

#6 ·
You must be very careful with the oxygen, and you must not make great physical efforts. No bending or getting up quickly, and eat light before you go uphill. Always try to be hydrated and keep breathing calm.
One of the guys who climbed with us got altitude sickness.
Atv power decreased a lot, and I had to remove the air filter cover for the engine to work well (you can see this part on the front trunk, below the yellow backpack)

#7 ·
That same day, in the morning, we did a tour of a salt fields (actually a very salted lagoon, home to some beautiful flamingos, called "LAGUNA BRAVA") close to our base camp, about 4200 meters of altitude.

Garmin Mapsource coordinates: S28 18.614 W68 50.776

I share some pics of this place:

1- That's the altitude of this place (about 13500 ft)

2- One of the guys got "buried" on the salty and frozen mud

3- Walking by the sulphurous shores of the lagoon

Once again, hope you enjoy the pics :)

#8 ·
Awesome pictures, thank you for sharing...It's really amazing what this world has to offer.

#11 ·
Wow!! I want to go to Argentina and ride. That is some amazing scenery. I've been to around 14,000 ft. several times. Another 7800 would be pretty wild. I bet the machines were indeed weak. Makes me dizzy just looking at the pictures and thinking about it. Did you guys carry any oxygen with you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.