Hatfield McCoy report - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Ride Report

ATV Ride Report Post pictures, maps, and discussions for your trail rides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #47330
Hatfield McCoy report

Three of us hit the HM trails Monday. Riders were Luke on a 550 XP/Nolan on a850XP (new ride for him)/and Larry (Pirate) RZR1000 (new ride for me). This was our 7th trip to HM. We have ridden Brimstone 4 times and Windrock 2 times. We were hoping the dust wouldn't be too bad. It wasn't.
Monday Day 1. left Indian Ridge trailhead and hit several trails on the way to the IR/PC connector. Exited the connector at the bridge and rode the OL trails to the "View" and on to Sterling Drive In. Totally worth the ride. We had maps but no GPS but navigated over there anyway. Didn't take the left to head to Reed Junction and rode the red and came out about five miles above Sterling. Thanks to BobT for all his help and maps and also the guys at "The View" with WVsxs shirts on for directing us. They beat us to the drive in and told us how to find the short way back. Came by Reed Junction and back to IR. Got in 96 miles on day one. A little dust but not bad. We ask for a little rain that night and got a quick shower.
Tuesday Day 2. Left lodging at Browning Fork Trailhouse off Rockhouse trail 19 and headed to Buffalo Mtn by way of Devil Anse connector. New dirt but great trails. A little narrow in places after you cross hwy52 but scenic and good trails. Fifty miles to the intersection at Buffalo. We rode about ten miles of Buffalo, ate a snack, and headed back. Clouded up, started raining, (pre-flood storm) and we rode in the rain back to 52, where it quit. Got gas and headed home. Got in 112 miles. Damn good day. No dust but some mud after the rain. New trails were a little slick in places.
Wed. Day 3. Trailered over to Pinnacle Creek and hit the trails there. Made our way over to the area where we hoped to find the "OL Creek Trails". We found a lot of non HM trails but not exactly sure we were on the actual creek trails. New trails for us anyway. Rode more PC trails on the return and ended the day with 97 miles. Great dirt conditions, no dust. We hate dust!
Thur. Day 4. With the weather forecast we considered heading home on Thur. but decided to wait out the weather and see if we could get in some riding in Rockhouse near the Browning fork Trailhouse.. It stormed about 8:30 and we waited it out. Looked like a window before a serious storm came through and it was a little north of us. We got a lot of good trails behind us and headed into Man for a Wendy's about 4:30. Ate and headed back. No hurry since we have light until 9. Didn't happen. Clouds move in a it was DARK in the woods. No problem, but there is no direct way back. We looped our way around and got back to Trail 19, our trailhead trail about 6:45. It's dark for 6:30. We have about ten miles to go. Lightning and thunder, but it didn't hit us, just near us! We pick up the pace a little. Then the rain came. It dumped on us as hard as I have ever seen. We were basically riding the trails that seemed like creek riding. My son, who was our leader all week, trudged forward. We just tagged behind him. Visibility was seriously about 20 feet. Goggles were useless but you couldn't open your eyes without them. We have logged many, many miles since 1973 on a bunch of different types of machines but this was a first. We just pushed forward and eventually got to the cutoff to home. I'm gonna tell you, that square post looked damn good. Another mile to the lodging and we walked on the porch. I recalled being wetter. It was on a scuba diving trip. We never got up tight but I couldn't help but think about several groups we had run across that day that had a lot of kids and others with riders with no experience. Hope all were home before that rain hit. Got in 85 miles that day and 10 of them I will not soon forget.
Had a great trip and am already looking forward to our next trip. Just can't beat HM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #35869
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
Three of us hit the HM trails Monday. Riders were Luke on a 550 XP/Nolan on a850XP (new ride for him)/and Larry (Pirate) RZR1000 (new ride for me). This was our 7th trip to HM. We have ridden Brimstone 4 times and Windrock 2 times. We were hoping the dust wouldn't be too bad. It wasn't.
Monday Day 1. left Indian Ridge trailhead and hit several trails on the way to the IR/PC connector. Exited the connector at the bridge and rode the OL trails to the "View" and on to Sterling Drive In. Totally worth the ride. We had maps but no GPS but navigated over there anyway. Didn't take the left to head to Reed Junction and rode the red and came out about five miles above Sterling. Thanks to BobT for all his help and maps and also the guys at "The View" with WVsxs shirts on for directing us. They beat us to the drive in and told us how to find the short way back. Came by Reed Junction and back to IR. Got in 96 miles on day one. A little dust but not bad. We ask for a little rain that night and got a quick shower.
Tuesday Day 2. Left lodging at Browning Fork Trailhouse off Rockhouse trail 19 and headed to Buffalo Mtn by way of Devil Anse connector. New dirt but great trails. A little narrow in places after you cross hwy52 but scenic and good trails. Fifty miles to the intersection at Buffalo. We rode about ten miles of Buffalo, ate a snack, and headed back. Clouded up, started raining, (pre-flood storm) and we rode in the rain back to 52, where it quit. Got gas and headed home. Got in 112 miles. Damn good day. No dust but some mud after the rain. New trails were a little slick in places.
Wed. Day 3. Trailered over to Pinnacle Creek and hit the trails there. Made our way over to the area where we hoped to find the "OL Creek Trails". We found a lot of non HM trails but not exactly sure we were on the actual creek trails. New trails for us anyway. Rode more PC trails on the return and ended the day with 97 miles. Great dirt conditions, no dust. We hate dust!
Thur. Day 4. With the weather forecast we considered heading home on Thur. but decided to wait out the weather and see if we could get in some riding in Rockhouse near the Browning fork Trailhouse.. It stormed about 8:30 and we waited it out. Looked like a window before a serious storm came through and it was a little north of us. We got a lot of good trails behind us and headed into Man for a Wendy's about 4:30. Ate and headed back. No hurry since we have light until 9. Didn't happen. Clouds move in a it was DARK in the woods. No problem, but there is no direct way back. We looped our way around and got back to Trail 19, our trailhead trail about 6:45. It's dark for 6:30. We have about ten miles to go. Lightning and thunder, but it didn't hit us, just near us! We pick up the pace a little. Then the rain came. It dumped on us as hard as I have ever seen. We were basically riding the trails that seemed like creek riding. My son, who was our leader all week, trudged forward. We just tagged behind him. Visibility was seriously about 20 feet. Goggles were useless but you couldn't open your eyes without them. We have logged many, many miles since 1973 on a bunch of different types of machines but this was a first. We just pushed forward and eventually got to the cutoff to home. I'm gonna tell you, that square post looked damn good. Another mile to the lodging and we walked on the porch. I recalled being wetter. It was on a scuba diving trip. We never got up tight but I couldn't help but think about several groups we had run across that day that had a lot of kids and others with riders with no experience. Hope all were home before that rain hit. Got in 85 miles that day and 10 of them I will not soon forget.
Had a great trip and am already looking forward to our next trip. Just can't beat HM.
Great write-up Pirate. HM trails are well worth anyone's drive if you want a hodge-podge of all kinds of trails and all levels of skill. Sounds like you had a great time on your trip and gladly you made it out of the woods in one piece. Now to get you up to Royal Blue in East Tn. Its also a great ride with something like 600 miles of trails in the WMA
Polaris sport windshield
EMP full windshield for winter
ITP SS212 machined wheels
Maxxis Ceros Tires 26-9-12 26-11-12
KFI winch mount
3500 lb Venom Hardcore winch
Dyneema Synthetic Rope
Polaris Fender Flares
Polaris mud flaps
UTV Giant Doors
UTV Giant door storage bag
Polaris front and rear brush guards
Polaris rear panel
Uni air filter
Outerwears pre filter
Polaris Lock and Ride Cargo box
4 Cree 18watt LED cubes. 2 flood and 2 spot beams
Turn signals and horn...Street Legal and tagged
Departed friends
2001 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4, a great 3 wheel drive ATV
2013 Sportsman 500 HO another great atv
Old 06-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #47330
We did have a great trip Vandal. I like HM because if they say BLUE you get BLUE. Some other systems need to change some colors or get some equipment out there. I put my riding trip to Paiute off since I would be a solo rider. It does make sense that you can't walk 30 miles for help. I will still go out west but just not take the ride. We usually go to HM in cooler weather. We saw more riders on the trails this trip than we have in all out other trips combined.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #35869
Quote:
We did have a great trip Vandal. I like HM because if they say BLUE you get BLUE. Some other systems need to change some colors or get some equipment out there. I put my riding trip to Paiute off since I would be a solo rider. It does make sense that you can't walk 30 miles for help. I will still go out west but just not take the ride. We usually go to HM in cooler weather. We saw more riders on the trails this trip than we have in all out other trips combined.
I agree....I like the fall trips to HM the most....because by then the fair weather crowd has thinned out a bit and there aren't as many riders on the trails. How was the rockhouse connector? Its good to see its finished. Been waiting a couple years now. We are headed back to Utah day after labor day. We fly to Denver on Southwest then board an 8 passenger plane to Moab.....so we should be into Moab by noon...instead of that 6 hour drive from Denver to Moab. We aren't going to take any long trips this year but stay around the Moab area. Going to ride Onion Creek and and up into the Lasal Mountain range...rather than make a 300-500 mile adventure. We went to Wyoming and back one year then rode the Paiute last year There is a lot of country to be seen right around the Moab-Thompson area so we're gonna see some of it this year. Glad you had a good trip
Polaris sport windshield
KFI winch mount
Dyneema Synthetic Rope
Polaris Fender Flares
Polaris mud flaps
UTV Giant Doors
Polaris rear panel
Uni air filter
Outerwears pre filter
Departed friends
Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #47330
Vandal, The connector was really good. It actually starts at Hwy 44. From there to hwy 52 is up and down and twisty. From 52 to Buffalo was also good but had some wet areas even before the rain hit us. It was still a good trail all the way. A little tight for passing oncoming traffic but no problem. As it drys and hardens some the rain won't make it slimey when it rains. At this time I don't think there is an actual trailhead for it so you have to ride a ways in RH or BM just to access it. We stayed on Browning fork road at the trailhouse so we were as close as you could get I think. It was 105 miles over and back so there is not much riding time to be done at BM. One way to do it would be to ride BM and pick it up, go to 52 and return. The same from the RH end.

So you don't take your own machines out west? You also mentioned Wyoming. Where have you ridden there? I love that area and still might consider taking my RZR out there as it might not be as remote as the Paiute. Info appreciated.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #3783
Nice report, glad you had a good time. One way to solve the long connector trip is to try and get a one night stay at the B&B in Matewan.
Three weeks ago 14 of us left Ashland Resort area (Hilltop) and rode trails to Welch, to Gilbert, the new connector into to Matewan. We got lucky and had gotten beds at the B&B for one night and spent the night. 152 miles total (18 on pavement). We took Outlaws back and rode 113 miles on the way back the next day.
Starting in Matewan or Gilbert it is a looooong day riding the connector and then having to ride it back.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #35869
Quote:
Vandal, The connector was really good. It actually starts at Hwy 44. From there to hwy 52 is up and down and twisty. From 52 to Buffalo was also good but had some wet areas even before the rain hit us. It was still a good trail all the way. A little tight for passing oncoming traffic but no problem. As it drys and hardens some the rain won't make it slimey when it rains. At this time I don't think there is an actual trailhead for it so you have to ride a ways in RH or BM just to access it. We stayed on Browning fork road at the trailhouse so we were as close as you could get I think. It was 105 miles over and back so there is not much riding time to be done at BM. One way to do it would be to ride BM and pick it up, go to 52 and return. The same from the RH end.

So you don't take your own machines out west? You also mentioned Wyoming. Where have you ridden there? I love that area and still might consider taking my RZR out there as it might not be as remote as the Paiute. Info appreciated.
Pirate....we have a friend from TN that owns Ballard RV Park in Thompson springs Utah and he has 10-12 atvs and SXS's at the Park and we just have to put gas in them. Much better than a 26 hour drive pulling trailers. As far as riding in Wyoming...we didn't. Just rode to the border of Wyoming and Utah and back. Took three days and a trip up and over the Rocky mountains at Baxter Pass Colorado. About 450 miles traveled by SXS"s A RZR 570 A trail AC700 and a Teryx. Was a great trip on many kinds of surfaces. We had to use what was available as far as trails roads gravel roads and desert to make the trip. A great time was had by all, and the scenery was tremendous
Polaris sport windshield
KFI winch mount
Dyneema Synthetic Rope
Polaris Fender Flares
Polaris mud flaps
UTV Giant Doors
Polaris rear panel
Uni air filter
Outerwears pre filter
Departed friends
Old 06-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #47330
Sounds like a good deal! I'm just kind of playing it by ear and it really depends on who goes with me. I'd love to ride some in the Big Horns and there are a ton of trails around Yellowstone that are snowmobile trails that are ridden by ATV'ers. There is a lot to see and do without an ATV or SXS though. I'm probably heading up into Banff and Jasper also and I am not sure what this will involve so I have to get on my planning if I'm gonna take a SXS with me.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #38318
Pirate, thanks for the update. We're less than a week out from heading down and i feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas to get here. Glad you liked the Devil Anse connector. We're going to ride as much of it as we can the first day. We'll have a Can Am Commander in our group so we'll have room to take some fuel. I know we won't make it Buffalo Mtn, but want to explore the other side off 52 a little. That part wasnt open when we rode it last year.
Other than that we're trailering to BM for sure (its my wife and FIL's favorite trail) and probably Indian Ridge. Once we ride IR, we'll have been on all the HMT trails-except the OL trails!
GBC Dirt Commanders, QSC Clutch kit, Heat Demon heated hand grips, Super Winch LT 2500, GSE Air Filter, Tusk hand guards, Polaris Lock and Ride rear bag, Polaris Xenon low beam bulbs, gripper seat cover, AGM battery, RVS ECM Stage 1.5 Tune(pending)

Future upgrades: Swap out the Dirt Commanders for HTRs

Hers:
2015 sportsman ETX

Heat Demon Heated Hand Grips, Tusk hand guards, Kolpin Matrix seat bag, custom blue and yellow seat cover
Future upgrades: 25" Big Horn 2.0s or Black Diamond ATRs, GSE Air Filter

2010 TrailBlazer 330 - SOLD
2007 Scrambler 500 HO - SOLD
1996 Sportsman 400 - SOLD
Old 06-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #47330
Double J, I know you will have a blast. There is gas less than a mile where you cross 52. From RH side you will go left. Ride a ways from there on Devil Anse and when you ride BM ride it some from that direction. You can probably get it covered. What system are you staying on? I wouldn't worry that much about the OL trails. It's a lot of exploring and with a group it's not the best use of your time. We did enjoy what we did but being unfamiliar slows you down a lot. How many are in your group?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Ride Report

Search tags for this page

hatfield mccoy trails

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.