Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Trails

ATV Trails Talk about new atv trails, trail conditions, and enviro effects on our trails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #542
Washington State - HB 1632 ATV/UTV Access bill passed

Increased ATV/UTV Access

The bill creates a new class of recreational vehicle (a wheeled all-terrain vehicle, or WATV) and provides motorized access to public lands while promoting responsible riding practices.

We want to clarify that the intent is to increase motorized access to public lands in rural areas, meaning trail connectivity, USFS roads, and remote/primitive roads -- not major metro areas!

Effective 7/28/2013, the mandatory ORV registration decal will be replaced by a motorcycle-sized metal identification plate which must be displayed on the rear of all registered ORVs and UTVs (side-by-sides).
An off-road tab will be issued to you; it must be affixed to the metal plate and renewed annually.
The metal plate must be replaced every 7 years for a nominal fee.
Adults with a driver’s license will have the option to register their ATV or UTV for restricted on-road use for an additional fee of $12, which will go into a new Highway Safety Account. Funds in this new account will be used to offset road/trail signage, education and law enforcement. A brightly-colored on-road tab will be issued; it must be affixed to the metal identification plate and renewed annually.
Safety equipment is necessary for this license:

ATVs

Two Headlights
One tail/stop lamp
Turn signals for use after dark
Reflectors
One handlebar mirror providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield are worn)
A horn
Brakes in working order
A spark arrestor and muffling device (86 db limit on the “A” scale; SAE test procedure J 331a)

UTVs

Two headlights
Two tail/stop lights
Turn signals for use after dark
Reflectors
Two mirrors providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield(s) are worn
A horn
Brakes in working order
Seatbelts
A spark arrestor and muffling device (86 db limit on the “A” scale; SAE test procedure J 331a)

A dealer/repair shop safety inspection (with $50 fee) and liability release are also required.
The DoL may develop and implement an online safety training course for people that register WATVs for on-road use.
Will you be able to ride everywhere? No, but cities, towns, counties or any state agency may regulate the operation of WATVs on public lands under their jurisdiction and on streets, roads or highways within their boundaries.
In counties with a population of 15,000 or less, public roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less are automatically open to WATVs with the on-road tab (Columbia, Ferry, Garfield, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Skamania and Wahkiakum counties).
The legislative body of these counties can designate roadways or highways unsuitable for use by WATVs; these must be listed publicly and made accessible from the main page of the county website.
All counties with a population of 15,000 or more may, by ordinance, approve the operation of WATVs on public roadways with a speed limit of 35mph or less.
The legislative body of a city or town with a population of less than 3,000 persons may, by ordinance, designate a street or highway within its boundaries to be suitable for use by WATVs.
Public roadways designated either open or closed on January 1, 2013 remain either open or closed.
In short, control is given to local management: cities, towns, counties or state agencies. There are restrictions on riding on and crossing state highways. Public lands/roads are not forced open, and there’s nothing in the bill that opens private property or private roads.

Very soon USFS roads open to the public <35mph will be open to WATVs with on-road registration – opening thousands of miles to WATVs! Please be patient with the USFS as they adapt to this new rule.

We will also need to work with local managers to open roads/trails; these folks have experience and can help:
CBORVC: Larry Smith; Skamania & Cowlitz counties: Mike Hayden; King and Snohomish counties: Ted Jackson; Pierce & Thurston counties: Gary Johnson; Spokane area: Gary Prewitt

The bill leaves all provisions of "the Hinkle Bill" intact (RCW 46.09.360 and RCW 46.09.450).
The bill cites existing ATV legislation about how and where you can ride (Chapter 46.09 RCW). For years, it has been illegal to trespass, create new trails or "ride in such a manner as to unreasonably expose the underlying soil, creating erosion or injuring trees, crops or other vegetation."
The bill does waive the police presence rule, though, meaning that an officer doesn’t have to witness a violation in order to cite you for it. If someone can provide conclusive evidence (such as videos or photos) tying you to an infraction then you can be cited, and the metal identification plate helps identify you and your WATV.
Violations are considered traffic infractions.
The penalty for false reporting is a gross misdemeanor, and carries a stronger penalty than a traffic infraction (RCW 9A.20.010 and RCW 9A.84.040).
Ride responsibly! Stay on roads/trails and out of water; don’t trespass; don’t damage natural resources!
Here's the bill: ESHB 1632

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q. Do you have to have insurance on your vehicle?
A. No. Motorcycles aren’t required to be insured, so the argument was made that WATVs shouldn’t be required to have insurance, either. We think insurance is a good idea, though…

Q. Will your WATV need a Discover Pass?
A. No, but your tow vehicle better have one if you are on lands that require it.

This is the legislation to the best of our knowledge; we anticipate some hiccups as this rolls out. We assume no liability for inaccuracies and will continue to post information/FAQs here.
-Polaris Steel Front & Rear Rack Extenders
-Ricochet full 8 piece kit (black anodized)
-Cecco frame brace
-Silent Rider (ATV Silencer)
-WARN ProVantage 3500
-KFI Winch mount
-Polaris OEM grip & thumb heaters
-Polaris Front lock & ride box
-Thor's 3 Way ATV Hitch 1 1/4" Box type

'04.5 Polaris 700 SP EFI (3268 miles/302 hours) - Gen VI chassis (Original Owner)(Road legal)
'85 Honda TRX 250
Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (WOHVA)

Last edited by Treacherous; 08-04-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
I wish I could drive one in town here.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #542
The road aspect is interesting. I'm going to add on necessary components to my 700 and proceed with WATV certification. Depending on what happens with implementation I'll do the 550 next year. There is a lot of USFS roadway where I am at so that opens up a lot. I've made an inquiry to local USFS office on their plans.
-Cecco frame brace
-WARN ProVantage 3500
-KFI Winch mount

'04.5 Polaris 700 SP EFI (3268 miles/302 hours) - Gen VI chassis (Original Owner)(Road legal)
'85 Honda TRX 250
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #37227
I had the dealer install a road legal kit on my 850. I paid the $50 but they are unable to issue the proper letter as they have not been provided with instructions or a template from the DOL yet. They also claim that DOL said it will take a few month, possibly until January, to start issuing plates.

I am about to send a letter to the Governor's office informing them that despite having signed it into law and despite the fact the plates are exactly the same as the ones provided for motorbikes, the DOL is dragging their feet... Which means loss of revenue for the state this fiscal year...
Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24763
This is good news, I hope Oregon is paying attention!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #542
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarom View Post
I had the dealer install a road legal kit on my 850. I paid the $50 but they are unable to issue the proper letter as they have not been provided with instructions or a template from the DOL yet. They also claim that DOL said it will take a few month, possibly until January, to start issuing plates.

I am about to send a letter to the Governor's office informing them that despite having signed it into law and despite the fact the plates are exactly the same as the ones provided for motorbikes, the DOL is dragging their feet... Which means loss of revenue for the state this fiscal year...
I got some large lights for my old 700 but thinking of going with an LED kit for my 550.

LED Example.
-Cecco frame brace
-WARN ProVantage 3500
-KFI Winch mount

'85 Honda TRX 250
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #38084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treacherous View Post
We want to clarify that the intent is to increase motorized access to public lands in rural areas, meaning trail connectivity, USFS roads, and remote/primitive roads -- not major metro areas!
Keep in mind that Section 6 (1) specifically excludes nonhighway roads.

HB1632 does not open any DNR or USFS managed forest roads.
If that was the intent, somebody has been played the fool by the anti-ORV people that were part of the group supporting HB1632.

Last edited by tod701; 08-13-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #38084
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarom View Post

I spoke with the DoL staff responsible for implimentation last week and it sounds like closer to March 2014 before they will be ready.

It is likely the WAC308 has to be revised and that requires going through the rulemaking process, etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #542
Forest service rep told me that for forests that have motor vehicle use map completed which includes all of them in Washington except the Okanogan-Wenatchee), nothing changes. The roads shown as open or closed on map are still open or close. Okanogan-Wenatchee does not have motor vehicle use map completed and is still under discussion. Now is the time to lobby for access in that USFS region.
-Cecco frame brace
-WARN ProVantage 3500
-KFI Winch mount

'85 Honda TRX 250
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #38084
The DoL says that they should have a temporary process in place to issue temporary plates soon.
The permenant process and permenant plates still won't happen until next spring at the soonest.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Trails

Search tags for this page

are side by sides street legal in washington state

gary prewitt guns

hb 1632

street legal atv washington state

street legal side by side washington state
street legal utv in washington state

street legal utv washington state

utv trails in washington state
wa atv street legal
wa hb 1632
washington house bill 1632

washington state utv street legal

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.