Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Trails

ATV Trails Talk about new atv trails, trail conditions, and enviro effects on our trails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
Map of Buckhorn Trail at Devil's Den AR.

Just thought I'd share this in case anybody might be interested.

Powered by Google Docs
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8635
map

I was beginning to think no one would ever find that map........ glad you did ,I have been trying to spread the news for some time now.

I got a letter today from John J. Lane the Recreation Program Manager of the Boston Mountain Ranger District here in Ozark here is some of it :

Presently, there are 3 trail heads proposed for the Buckhorn OHV Trail system.

One trail head is located on the west side of the trail system off of Forest Road 1716 in Range Hollow, just north of Buckhorn and Cove Creeks.

The second trail head is located off HWY 220 in the middle section of the trail near Fall and Lee Creeks.

The third trail head is located on the east side of the trail system off Freedom Road, west of Freedom Church. This would be north of Old 12 Crossroads.

The map you have is likely the same map that I have. There have not been any new maps produced in quite some time.

We are nearing the final stage of construction in Phase 1 of this project, which will include trail development on the west side, signage, and establishment of the 2 trail heads. We plan to complete work by the end of this fiscal year (Sep. 10, 2011). Then we plan to initiate Phase 2 of the project, which will include the east side trails, trail head, remaining signage, and complete the other 2 trail heads (bathrooms, kiosks, etc.).
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2669
hey guys, i was wondering, where is the closest town to this riding area. i was trying to figure it out from your directions but am not sure. we ride at moccassin gap near dover and have rode brock creek and mill creek. arkansas is a great place to ride.

Ransom Proctor
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700EPS
2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP Sunset Red LE with EPS
2008 Sportsman 500
2006 Predator 90

sold 2010 850 Touring, 2009 Sportsman XP 550EPS, 2007 Sportsman 450
Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8635
driving directions

Wind yourself over to I-44 ,travel east to Joplin ,turn south on US 71, it turns into I-540 .Travel through Fayetteville south to Winslow take AR hwy 74 west soon you will be in Devils Den State Park. Hwy 74 becomes Ar-170 , soon after you will find a small sign on a dirt road showing AR-220, turn here, around eight miles of rough dirt road you will find the Buckhorn trail head on the left side of the road. unload and ride !!! if you want to camp "primitive" there are some neat spots on Fall creek just north of the parking area
Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2669
can a side by side ride down there? i have two atv's. but i would like to take my 4 year old and wife with me some time. i want to be legal, i don't want to pull my ranger all the way down and risk getting a ticket or having something to big on the trails. is the trail head on 220 marked very well? how big is the parking area? i know i have a lot of questions, but i hate to drive 3 hours and have a ton of problems. thanks for your help! you've been a wealth of info.

Ransom Proctor
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700EPS
2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP Sunset Red LE with EPS
2008 Sportsman 500
2006 Predator 90

sold 2010 850 Touring, 2009 Sportsman XP 550EPS, 2007 Sportsman 450
Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
Well, I just noticed that the website doesn't exist anymore for the map. Sorry guys. Don't know where it can be found now. Glad I have one printed out.

I have friends that ride RZRs there and they do just fine. The trail head isn't marked, but you can't miss it. It's a huge rock covered parking area on the left side of the road right before a low water creek crossing. I can't remember the exact distance, but it's somewhere between 6 and 8 miles south from where you turn onto 220. BTW, 220 is "gravel" and is one rough mother. Be ready to have a nice slow bouncy drive down those few miles. One other thing... be prepared for self recovery if you get stuck or break down. Most likely you won't see anybody else there, and if there are other people there, the odds of running into them on the trails are slim. It's can be a very very long walk back to the trail head, and there's no cell reception unless you get up on top of a ridge. It's a huge area with many many miles of trails. As I mentioned, the parking area is rock. And I mean fist sized or bigger. Not a great place to pitch a tent. Right across the road are some primitive dirt ground "camping" areas though. There's also several areas you can camp along the other roads through the trail area.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8635
trail map

the map is here at my website along with some pics and videos..... thunder mountain
I will try and post the map here on this forum soon........ remember it only shows a small part of the trails and nothing on the other side of Lee creek, which is the larger part of the trail system
Old 11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8809
Send a message via Yahoo to brad5401
Buckhorn Trails

Hey, guys! I just joined the forum and have been doing some calling around concerning the Buckhorn trail system. If you believe the ranger's office I contacted in the Ozark/Ouchita National Forest, the Buckhorn trail system is "incomplete and not yet open to the public". The lady I talked to also said there was no camping sites in the area. Again, I'm not sure how much faith I have in their statements considering the posts I've read on here from people who have physically been there. A lack of federal funding was the reason I was given for the trail system not yet having been completed, and I was told that the expectation was for the funding situation to be resolved and the trail system be completed in 2011 or early 2012. It sounds like a great place to ride, and I'm tempted to take a drive down there (I live in SW Missouri) one weekend just to check it out. I do have a question for those who have posted there are primitive camping areas down there. Are those primitive sites large enough for a medium-size camper trailer? We have a 21' toy hauler we always take for ATV camping trips, and it would be great if I knew there was a place to park that sucker for a weekend. Thanks in advance.

Brad

2010 Sportsman XP 550 EFI w/XP EPS rims
2008 Sportsman Touring 800 EFI
2006 Sportsman X2 500 H.O. w/Crusher rims/PXT tires

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...tvtrailriders/
Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8635
yes.... and yes

What you were told by the rangers is "officially " true however we locals ride it pretty often, some daily. If you cant get to those nicer places by fall creek you could set up camp in one corner of the parking area, it covers 5 or 6 acres plenty of room there or take a drive west of the trail head about a mile, take a right on old cove city road , there are several spots along the road to camp........ don't worry those dirt roads are also federal forest roads and it is legal to ride an atv on....
Old 11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8809
Send a message via Yahoo to brad5401
Cool! Thanks for the reply. What you've said is what I already suspected. I'm looking forward to riding those trails now. I grew up in Harrison and attended the U of A in Fayetteville, so it would be kind of like going back to my old stomping grounds. I would like to see our ATV club (Ozarks ATV Trail Riders) plan a group ride in the Buckhorn trail system. It sounds just like the kind of riding and scenery we are always looking for.

Brad

2010 Sportsman XP 550 EFI w/XP EPS rims
2008 Sportsman Touring 800 EFI
2006 Sportsman X2 500 H.O. w/Crusher rims/PXT tires

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...tvtrailriders/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Trails

Search tags for this page
buckhorn atv trail arkansas
buckhorn atv trail map
buckhorn atv trails arkansas
buckhorn ohv trail map
buckhorn ohv trail map arkansas

buckhorn ohv trail system

buckhorn trail arkansas

buckhorn trails arkansas

devil's den atv trails

devils den atv trails

devils den atv trails arkansas
lee creek atv trails arkansas
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.