Polaris ATV Forum banner

LED Headlights

12K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  MNTNBKR 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I am interested in how you think they look from sitting on your machine..... I installed a different brand but look like the same and they were awful! If you looked directly at them you would think they were as bright as a light bar but sitting on the machine they sucked. I put my stock bulb's back in and was much brighter!

#6 ·
Here you go. From an Amazon reviewer with verified purchase. Seems to mirror your experience.

The problem with all these aftermarket LED bulbs is that they don't take advantage of the reflector in the bulb housing. They just throw light everywhere instead of aiming it where you need it.

#15 ·
Sorry it took so long to get pics posted! Work and family takes my time away! Pics aren't the greatest but hope good enough o show you the LED headlights and how bright they are. I also included a pic of the LED side marker lights in-place of the stock reflectors.

#16 ·
How about pics while sitting on the machine showing how the light is projected? A bulb can be brighter, but not be any better due to it not being projected out onto the trail. We can not tell anything by the pics you posted. I love the LED side marker lights though. Those are sweet.

#23 ·
Dang brother is there anything you would like me to do? You laundry, wash your car! Didn't know these LED headlights were going to be a full time job! Look there only $29 bucks, buy a set and try them out. No offense but I don't feel like changing bulbs in and out of my machine at night a take a ton if pics.

#24 · (Edited)
I was expecting this reply, and I suspect your unwillingness to take photos is because you think (or know) that the photos won't back up your claims.

Since our buddy 11Jake isn't willing to spend 10 minutes to take the photos that we're all asking for, I'll post (again) the most relevant amazon review I could find where these bulbs were installed in a Polaris ATV. This reviewer elected to take photos to back up his claims though, so if you're interested in how these bulbs actually perform, click here (edit) or see below. To be clear, this is a review for the exact bulbs that the OP is raving about. I don't think you could pay me to ride trails through the woods with these bulbs.

Because of the reviews ,I tried these out as replacement on a POLARIS ATV.I have NO IDEA how any reviewer can say these are "AS BRIGHT or BRIGHTER ". Here's are pics From tonight with both JDM ASTAR 50W HIGH POWER LED's compared to Crappy Stock GE 886.The LED's are whiter if you look at it from the front,THATS IT.Yes the stock 886 bulbs are the yellower picture,but I'll take that over 30% reduction in output.People always showing pictures of the light itself ,How about some pictures from behind the wheel.To each ther own,but these are gett
Edit: Eh, what the hey... I'll make it even easier and steal the reviewers photos and put them up here side by side.
Halogen

LED

Halogen

LED

#27 ·
There would need to be a fundamental change in the design of LED replacement bulbs before they will be as effective as halogen bulbs when placed in a housing that was designed for halogen bulbs. It doesn't really matter how good the manufacturer says the LED bulbs are, or how many watts they are, the problem is that they don't take advantage of the internal reflectors inside the headlight housing the same way that halogens do. Current LED replacement bulbs essentially turn your headlights into floodlights with light scattered everywhere instead of being focused where you need it.

If you really want LED headlights, and you want to do it right, your best bet is to buy an entire LED headlight kit, housing and all. I believe there are some folks here who have bought the RZR or scrambler version (not sure which) and adapted it to fit the Sportsman. This option however is going to lighten your wallet significantly. I believe these are the ones people are using.

#29 ·
Dang, I was all confused. I could have sworn that it was you who had done that mod (I read that thread a long time ago), so I was wondering why you are looking at LED bulbs now... LOL. Now I see that you have a 2017, and must have gotten rid of the 2015.

#32 ·
Ah, so those were your pictures that I stole? lol

The Hendric LEDS look like they throw some serious light! Not only that, but those are the most bad ass looking lights I think I've seen on a quad yet. Is that a custom setup, or can you give us a link to where you got them?

#33 ·
Just to correct Duse's post which I am sure was an auto correct issue, those lights he has are Heretic not Hedric. And yes, they look pretty dang nice. I would love to get a set, been looking at them for awhile. Pretty pricey though. They are made for Rzr but can be changed slightly to fit the sportsmans from what I understand. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.hereticstudio.com/

#34 ·
I was thinking we were going to have another project to work on after we finish your clutch cover, but at $550, I think I'm going to have to pass (at least for now).

#35 ·
Ya, I keep trying to convince myself to get them, but as long as my stockers keep showing me the way on the trail, I just cant justify the cost. They sure do make a quad look mean though.

#36 · (Edited)
Yep ,that's my review.
Yep ,Heretic Studios is the name.auto correct never knows what I'm trying to spell.
Headlight revolution sells them $50 cheaper then Heretic does.And then add on any hoilday sales (Black Friday)you can get them $450
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/product/polaris-rzr-xp-900-led-headlights Still pricey but????
They did come plug&play for my 15 SP 850 ,I had to get the screws that mount it to the factory screw holes.(1" hi-lo screws @ $1-$2 for 6 of them.
I did not like that the halos(I got white halos) would be on if the key was on, so I put them on a switch.
You can pretty much get the same output from a $40-$50 20" Light bar ,but this is the choice I went with.
Hays Fabrication has since come out with a sharp LED setup with a couple of flush mounts.Looks good.I never checked the price since I was already into this setup,but I would imagine it's less $$$

#39 ·
Headlight revolution sells them $50 cheaper then Heretic does.And then add on any hoilday sales (Black Friday)you can get them $350
I think I could part with tree-fiddy for a set of those... going to keep my eye out now. Probably won't buy a set real soon because I just bought a GoPro 5 and spent damn near $2K on a new mattress (HOLY CRAP I can't believe how expensive a decent mattress is), but by the time Back Friday rolls around, I might be ready to pull the trigger.

One question though. Do those lights have a decent beam pattern, or are they blinding to oncoming traffic? From your pic, it looks like the light shines pretty high. I ride back roads a lot around my house and I don't want to get people pissed off and calling the law..back roads aren't exactly legal to ride around here.

#37 · (Edited)
Dam they look so good. My girl would kill me if she knew I spent that much on them but maybe I'll work some secret overtime to justify them. They change the whole look of the machine. Just looked at the site. You said they were plug and play for you, but looks like they come with a harness?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

#40 ·
Just keep an eye out around Thanksgiving time for deals.
Next time you need a mattress check out Leesa Mattress's.Picked one up for the cabin and found I got a better night sleep,So got a king for here(comes rolled up in a box)Those are some GREAT mattresses.Half the price,Great warrenty, and a 100day you dont like it ,they pick it up with no cost and full refund.
Yes I believe with the pattern I have(2 floods 1 spot on each light)they would be annoying to oncoming traffic.If I were to do it again I would get 2 spots (inner)1 flood outer)I also plan to shim the bottom to aim the lights down alittle.It is nice pulling up to the base of the mountain and seeing whats ahead
With that said,,I ran across 2 razors on the trail with them,and they were pretty bright,but thats what convinced me to take the plunge.

#41 ·
Hoping I won't need another mattress for a long time. I seriously though about getting a Leesa... almost pulled the trigger a few months ago, but I just couldn't do it without actually trying it out first. I know they have the 100 day guarantee, but I didn't want to deal with the return hassle if we didn't like it.

So about the Heritec lights... looks like they have high and low beams built in according to the product description. Do some of the beams shut off when you have the high beams turned off? If so, did you have to do any custom wiring to get that function?

#42 ·
First thing first. Some DUMBASS wrote $350 for the lights.... That aint gonna happen.You get get them for $450 with a sale.That same dumbass edited the post back to $450.
I dont know anything about the Hi-LO beam.That would be great.wonder what they would charge me for the upgrade ?I'm gonna look into it now that you brought it up.

#43 ·
LOL. I'm wondering if they're just equating spot/flood with hi/lo beam (since each headlight can be equipped with both) They also say that you just plug them in and go... that wouldn't be the case if there were actually different settings for hi and low. You would have to do a bit of wiring to make that work I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.