Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Visual & Body Modifications

ATV Visual & Body Modifications Post any visual modifications you have done to your ATV vehicle here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 AM

Member #7021
Question Mending Plastic Back Together...Nedd Help Fixing Cracked Plastic

I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 4x4 that I just bought a month ago with only 400 miles on it.

Yesterday I had 4 new Maxxis Biirhorn 1s put on because of a 1" diameter stob in my factory RR tire.

I removed the seat to check my air filter & I noticed that the Rear Fender Assembly is broken on both sides. It's where the very top/front bolts fasten the fender to the frame. The exhaust runs right under the right side, it has a silver heat shield on the bottom/back side. The small bolts are only holding a small corner of the plastic fenders down to the frame & it's cracked all the way thru around these bolts.

This problem is causing the front of my seat to sag down leaving a large gap where the front of the seat goes up on the gas tank. Also the right side plate doesn't fit right at all & the push thru plastic stud on the right side plate won't match up with the hole in the rear fender assembly, thus causing the groove around the top of the right-sideplate to not fit tightly around the top. It just sorta hangs there, but it hasn't fallen off, YET. My four-wheeler has never been wrecked or even ridden thru any mud or brush. There not a scratch on it anywhere & as of right now, I has about 600 miles on it.

Is there anyway I can fix these small cracks on each side.without having to buy a whole new rear fender assembly??? I really don't see why a new fender assembly wouldn't crack also.

I need all the suggestions & ideas I can get. It seems to me that there would be some sort of plastic repair & some way of bracing it up to solve this problem.

If I need to post some pictures, I'll try. I've never posted any pictures before.

Thanks in advance for any replies I recieve.
[/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #5482
JB weld. Friend of mine rolled his 09 sportsman and cracked the bottoms of the front storage box. He bought a bunch of JB weld and put it back together.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4
3 Headlight Mod / 14" ITP SS312 / 26" Maxxis Zilla's / Under Body LED Accent Lights
2010 Decals
Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2160
did you try automotive goop?
2000 Ford f150 Flare side 5.4l 4X4
Old 09-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6548
i broke my front storage box when i flipped it the orther day itook a buetane torch and a plastic milk crate cut off some stragit pices melted the plastic and mended them together worked great nice and solid dont matter what the color is you wont see it under the seat i filled in large open cracks also use a puddy knife and heat it up with the torch and mend the plastic together i fixed the left hinge and the top lid could not afford a new one
Attached Thumbnails
Mending Plastic Back Together...Nedd Help Fixing Cracked Plastic-atv-pics-after-accecedent-070.jpg  
2006 polaris 500 ho efi E.B.S. sportsmen k&n air filter . Genesis performance module . Hand gards . Back work lights .Front & back bumpers. 2500lbs warn polaris winch. A-arm covers front & back .Front & back rack extenders- Mossy oak soft bags & Rear passanger foot rests .Big wes cargo box .and a 60" polaris plow and a polaris gun side scabberd with 800 miles. Camo water grapics on the hand gards ,speedo mount, front plate,and shifter knob & gas cap- rear storage lid. 3 way head lite mod. Swamp lite 27s on itp ss 212 machined rims 12in. tall clear polaris lock & go wind sheild

Last edited by johnnyjaws; 09-11-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
I bought a rolled 08 500 efi and it had cracks on every fender and the instrument pod was broke up. I drilled small holes at the end of every crack that didn't go all the way to an edge to stop it from cracking more. I then drilled small holes along the cracks and sowed them up with small black zip ties. I used larger zip ties to stitch the instrument pod together and even stitched 2 broken tabs under the seat and one of the head light tabs back together. The zip ties cinch tight and make strong connections. If one breaks just replace it. I carry a few extra with me on the machine but have yet to have to replace one. My machine was a Browning addition with the camo plastics so when you step back 5 feet you cant even see the black ties. They blend in. The head light and pod are tight and are holding strong. Turned out better than I could have hoped for from a totaled rig from an insurance auction.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #6334
I maid small strips of aluminium bent them the same and bolted them to the frame where they were and used small bolts an drilled them thro the plastic and bolted them bors fine no give at all ben that way for about 2 yrs now.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Member #5325
plastic weld works good as well I think I got mine from Walmart used it to fix a broken hand guard mount and is very strong. Is there any room to put a big washer to spread the load over more area of the plastic?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
I had exact same problem on an 06 800. I cut some sheet metal with knippers from some old HVAC duct for backers under the tabs and riveted under the plastic.
If your seat is sagging check the seat pan...mine was cracked!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Visual & Body Modifications

Tags
plastic repair, rear fender repair

Search tags for this page

4 wheeler plastic repair

fixing four wheeler plastics
four wheeler plastic repair
how to fix broken plastic on atv
how to fix cracked atv fenders

how to mend plastic back together

how to mend plastic together
how to put back broken plastic

how to repair 4 wheeler plastic

repair 2005 polaris sportsman 400 rear fender cab broken tabs
repair broken and cracked plastic fender jeep
repair broken fender four wheeler
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.