Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

ATV Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
Tire Chains/Studs/Screws

Well I decided against tire chains on my new 2010 550. I tried a set I had off my Yammy and just "fell" into the voids between the lugs of my BigHorns.
So I ordered some ice screws and installed them tonite. I'll find out later in the week how they do on the frozen lake for ice-fishing.
I like them - 226 screws per tire.

Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2920
Send a message via AIM to Smoothbassman Send a message via Skype™ to Smoothbassman
Thats awesome man. How long did that mod take? Are they removable? I would love to do this to my old set of tires I have in storage. Where did you get the studs at?
  • Front Lock n Ride Storage Box
  • WES Lock and Ride Rear Touring Box
  • Rotopax Front Storage Fuel Cells
  • Hand Warmers
  • Garmin GPSMap 62S
  • 27" Grim Reapers
  • 8000K HID Lights
  • Ricochet Full Skid Kit
  • Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition
Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #8052
Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothbassman View Post
Thats awesome man. How long did that mod take? Are they removable? I would love to do this to my old set of tires I have in storage. Where did you get the studs at?
They are screws and could be removed, but I think I'll have another set of wheels/tires come springtime.
Got them here - they have different lengths, etc.
It took me about 1 1/2 hours to get them all in.
Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2920
Send a message via AIM to Smoothbassman Send a message via Skype™ to Smoothbassman
Thanks for the link. Now I can make some nice snow tires!!! Glad I kept my old stock tires!
  • Front Lock n Ride Storage Box
  • WES Lock and Ride Rear Touring Box
  • Rotopax Front Storage Fuel Cells
  • Hand Warmers
  • Garmin GPSMap 62S
  • 27" Grim Reapers
  • 8000K HID Lights
  • Ricochet Full Skid Kit
  • Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition
Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
Now that we have the "worst" conditions on the ice that I've experienced in 10 years ---- I still like the screws - they do the job and do it right! I'll never go back to chains for snow and ice. The lake now has 8 - 10" of snow on top of 4 - 6" of slush and water. Some areas are crusted and break-throughs are frequent. AND that's pulling my loaded shelter/sled that is nearly 300 lbs.

I am happy with the screws - now to find a spare set of wheels for some "not so cold" seasons coming up. I'm putting the screwed BigHorns to the side for the spring/summer and fall months.
More mods to come.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #10159
What do you mean "break-throughs are frequent"? Do you mean you go out on a lake where you might break through the ice or am I misunderstanding that?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
Breaking through the top crust and snow with the slush and water underneath - then the 12 - 16" of ice. Makes for tough going. I'm thinking tracks if it gets much worse.
More mods to come.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I am happy with the screws - now to find a spare set of wheels for some "not so cold" seasons coming up. I'm putting the screwed BigHorns to the side for the spring/summer and fall months.

SO... What will you be replacing the Bighorns with????

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal 12V plug. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
More BigHorns? Or I am undecided. I still have my new stock tires; if I can find some wheels, reasonably, I may run those - until I can't stand it.
More mods to come.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

Search tags for this page
atv tire chains
atv tire chains ice fishing
atv tire chains polaris
atv tire screws
atv tire studs
ice fishing atv
polaris atv snow chains

polaris atv tire chains

polaris tire chains
removable tire studs
screws in atv tires
tire chains for polaris atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.