Polaris ATV Forum banner

Walmart For Mounting--Things I learned

60K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  bbgchrisgto 
#1 ·
I just received my order of Bighorns from Rocky Mountain ATV for $373 delivered and a $50 instant cash reward. I have a 2010 850 Touring EPS. I had heard that Walmart is the place to go for tire mounting. If you go to the website you can see the tire service prices. I seemed to remember reading in this forum that you could get all 4 tires mounted for $25. This seemed reasonable to me but when I looked it up on the website today the price was $2.50 per wheel. What a deal! So I pop the ATV on the Trailer and load the Bighorns on my Tundra and head off to Walmart. So far so good. I arrive and tell the man I want ATV tires mounted on my ATV. "I don't think we do that he says"--He asks another guy who says "yes we do". Whew !!! So he enters my data on his handheld gizmo and says that will be $22.50 before tax. I whip out the copied web page and he chokes--but swallows hard and gives me the "Discount". I can see it is hurting him awful bad. Then either my ignorance is revealed or they got revenge--you guys tell me which. They said "We won't mount them on the ATV' you have to bring in the rims off the ATV." What? I reply. "How am I going to do that?" "That is your problem"--Anyway I end up going home and jacking the ATV--blocking of course, doing first the rear then the front. Took two more trips to Wal-Mart to Mount the rear on my Rims--travel home mount them on the Bike, lower the jack, tighten, jack the front, remove the wheels, travel back to WM repeating the process. All done now--but did I get snookered or should I have known that ATV tire Mounting does not mean the same thing as it does with a car?

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, that's how it works around here as well. You have to take the wheels off the ATV to get the cheapest price. Mounting them is your issue unless you want to pay more.

Can't really complain when you get four tires mounted for 10 bucks!

#5 ·
Yes, That is my take after the initial surprise. I'm not really a mechanic so I had to make do with a crummy car jack, some blocks and an old spinner lug wrench. But for $10 whoo hoo!! But I still think people in this forum should know what they mean by "Mount" .

#6 ·
Good to know, thanks for info.

#7 ·
It sounds reasonable for the price. Unfortunately with law-suits these days there is probably a liability reason that they can't do it for you. Typically when you take your car/truck in they can put it on a lift, something they probably can't do with your atv. Besides would you really want the guys at Wal-mart over/under tightening your lug nuts, most service shops I see use an impact wrench, with them doing the mounting you may have had stripped or busted wheel studs.

#8 ·
yes it sounds like a liability thing, thats what i thought of right away. I have heard sams club will not mount any tire that is not the factory size tire of the vehicle it came on. Happened to my old man he was pissed so he loaded up the tires he bought from sams club and took them to sears to get them mounted what a deal huh!!!! Sorry to go off!!! Enjoy the new tires, i am still dragging my feet for my new ones.

#10 ·
You got the correct deal. I did it (and I posted that experience on here). I knew upfront what the deal was and for 2.50 per tire it is a DEAL. Also, got to talk to the guy that is going to do the work and be sure understands the correct mounting, inflation process. Too much pressure can ruin a good tire, right NOW.

#11 ·
Right on Phil. They know cars much better than ATVs. You need to be proactive. They read the side walls and It said 33 pounds--TO SET THE BEAD.
I had to insist on only seven pounds. I hope that is right. I also had to tell them to align the valve stem with the little marker circle that the BHs use. Also learned that on this forum.There was no inflation information with the tires so I just used what I heard here--which was slightly more than the five pounds I used on the OEM Bias ply. Is 7 okay?

#14 ·
No, you carry in the existing OEM tires mounted on your wheels and bring in the new unmounted tires. They take the old tires off and mount the BHs on the wheels and you take the new tire/wheels and old tires back home. BTW I just rode the new tires for a few minutes and I immediately noticed the improved ride of the radials. There is a lot of chatter about the "Best" ATV all-around tire. BH have been around for a good while and stay near the top of the recommended list while other new tires rise in popularity--but some soon fade. At least that is my impression. If you are into trails and comfort riding the BH will be fine along with a couple of other excellent choices.

#15 ·
thanks for the review, from what i've read bighorns are one of the few GOOD all around cross trainers.

I do not think you got screwed or whatever. I mean it's walmart common... and for $10, i would really like to hear someplace else that mounts tires for that cheap!

#20 ·
They are not "old" prices. They are advertised on their web site. It's a pretty good bargaining tool. Just print up the ad, bring it in and when the tire folks argue, ask for a manager.
Just went through that scenario - the manager would not argue and I got the tires mounted for 2.50 each.

#18 ·
I finally had some time to get mine mounted today, so I called Walmart and they said they didn't mount ATV tires. I said your website says you do. He said they didn't do them.

So I went to Discount Tire and they mounted them for $5.00 per tire. Took them 15 minutes.

#21 ·
That's exactly right Phil. You have to go to the store web site and print out a copy of their price list. If they have an auto service department and do tire service, you will find the $2.50 price on the site. It IS true that they will not mount the tired ON the ATV--that is the point of this whole thread. The $2.50 price is a "carry in" price. So when the manager says "we don't do ATVs he is partially right"--They only do AVT wheels off the bike.--Buy again the history of those of us who get this price is that we have to overcome resistance and denial on the part of WM employees. The $ 2.50 is a losing price so I understand their reluctance--but this is business. You can't advertise a come-on price and then waffle on those that take them up on it. Having said all this, if I could have had them mounted on the ATV at $5, where they do all the work, I would have done that in a heartbeat. This was the only option in my town.

#22 ·
I printed the prices off of Wal-marts site and brought it with me to the local Discount Tire store as I had purchased the tires from Discount Tire Direct. Long story short they happily matched the price as I already had new valve stems in the wheels, and I was on my way in about 15 minutes.

I was very pleased on a few levels.
A) give a little money back to DT since they gave me a great deal on the tires.
B) DT is only about 5 minutes from my house vs Wal-mart that is 20-25 minutes away.
C) I didn't support Wal-mart, I despise this company and all they stand for, I have had multiple bad experiences dealing with them.

#23 ·
I just looked atlake area the page lol wow im glad i stumbled across it so i can report it at work since its down loaded into out system from home office in AR.. lol gives me something to show lol... at our store we have thetools to lawn n garden atv etc since were near a lake area.. i would deftnly print n save for that deal....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.