Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

ATV Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #8854
Slime In Your Tires.

Ive seen that some people put slime in there tires for a little added protection against small leaks, so i was thinking of putting some in my tires as well. So, how much should i put in each tire ?.

Front And Rear Rack Extensions, Rear Lock And Ride Box With Back Rest, Heated Hand Grips, winch, Fender Extensions, Front And Rear Bumpers, HID Lights, A-Arm Guards, Low Lock And Ride Windshield, Maxxis BigHorn 2.0 Tires.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #10336
Look into the Highlifter brand tire "slime" it seems to be a better product and does not need to be replaced/removed after 2 years like slime. If you use a "slime" type product be courteous to the guys at your tire shop and give them a heads up that it is in the tires, I have found my local tire shop is fine with it as long as you give them a heads up so they don't end up wearing it. I have heard that some shops will charge you an extra clean-up fee if the tires have been slimed.

From the FAQS on the Slime website:

What is the shelf life of SLiME?

As long as the sealant is contained within its original bottle with the cap securely closed and stored in a cool, dry place SLiME will remain effective for at least 4 years. If you intend to use a bottle you've had for awhile, please be sure to shake the bottle vigorously prior to installation. This will help to blend the product and restore the normal viscosity. Once installed in a tube or tire Slime will remain active for two years.
What happens to SLiME after two years?

Once SLiME is installed into a tire it becomes exposed to different conditions that will slowly amend the original composition of the sealant. To ensure the product remains effective, we guarantee its performance for 2 years at which time we recommend removing the old sealant and installing new product

2014 Black Pearl Rzr XP 1K (stock for now)

Last edited by Fishy; 01-09-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added additional info
Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #8052
as little as necessary. i don't know if you mount your own tires, but that stuff is a bitch to deal with and gets all over everything when you change out a tire. shops and dealerships HATE the stuff.

i would suggest not using it unless you have to. (get a flat while riding and do not carry a patch/plug kit)
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
Ive seen that some people put slime in there tires for a little added protection against small leaks, so i was thinking of putting some in my tires as well. So, how much should i put in each tire ?.
Follow the package recommendations. I used it in my last wheeler. Sold it! Never had to break one of those slimed tires down. But as others have said - dealers and tire shops absolutely hate the stuff. However, it can save a possibly "bad" day.
Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #9495
Send a message via AIM to glngib Send a message via Yahoo to glngib
Go to Slime webpage for what to put in each type of tire. I think it said 24 ozs. for atv tires. Sounds like too much to me.

2014 Polaris Ranger 570
2011 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO
Polaris front storage compartment (like the 500's)
Polaris 2500 winch
Polaris deluxe brush guard front and rear
Mad Dog 3-way hitch (hitch pin hole interfers with trailer tongue)
Polaris Glacier III snow plow with a rubber wear blade
Polaris rear rack extender
Old 01-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
I use PCC made by Hollander Corporation. Much better product than slime. Really great stuff.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #8052
please do not use this shit proactively. Get tires that do what you request of your atv.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9325
I believe SLIME recommends 1 qt (32 fl ounces) for ATV tires. I had some stuff pawned off on me by the dealer as "slime" made by TRC in Texas. From what I can read TRC also supplies this stuff to the military. Was told it was better than SLIME and it has indeed been working well now for some time. Out here in Texas you need that little bit of extra insurance with all the monster-ass thorns and mesquite trees that seem to be attracted to your tires like a magnet to a refrigerator door.

Regarding SLIME, I was unaware that they recommend replacing it every 2 years. My friends and I have some slimed tires we've been running since 2003 and never had any problems. In fact, when punctured they still self-seal.
Rear work lights
Custom front rack Rotopax fuel pack carrier
Polaris rear cargo box
Polaris front and rear brush guards
Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Member #14283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookies View Post
as little as necessary. i don't know if you mount your own tires, but that stuff is a bitch to deal with and gets all over everything when you change out a tire. shops and dealerships HATE the stuff.

i would suggest not using it unless you have to. (get a flat while riding and do not carry a patch/plug kit)

I disagree, i have removed slime so many times and i also live down the street from an auto shop. they showed me how to wash it out with a hose right into the drain. Slime is water soluble and environmentally friendly so there is no problem there. they showed me how they just hose it out and then whatever water is left over they just vacuum or wipe out.

everyone makes it seem so difficult but really the only problem is when someone pops the bead under pressure and without knowing there is slime inside. i agree that that can be a mess but honestly, just hose the crud out it takes 2 minutes.
plus i would rather spend an extra 2 minutes down the road then spend hours being stuck somewhere.

oh and by the way i used it in my wheelbarrow tire and it stayed liquid for 4 years. when it dry's up it just turns to fibers which makes it even easier to clean out.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13409
I installed it in my new bikes tires a week ago on a Friday. I took a nice 4hr ride on Saturday and when I got home and stated cleaning the bike (pressure washing the mud off the tires) I had a rusty old 8 penny nail in the rear tire.

I checked and the tire still had the 5psi I put in it on Friday.

If its that big a damn deal at the tire shop I'll un-mount them myself, wash the stuff out and then have the new tires installed at the shop.

Im going to keep using it~

john

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

Search tags for this page
how much green slime for atv tire
how much slime do you put in polaris off road tire

how much slime in atv tire

how much slime is needed in an atv tire
how much slime to use
how to install slime in atv tires
how to put slime in atv tires

how to slime atv tires

slime atv tires

slime in atv tires

tire slime atv

using slime in atv tires

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.