Recommended tire slime/ sealant - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

ATV Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2016, 01:27 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #96810
Recommended tire slime/ sealant

So I went out on my first trail ride in the used 04 Sportsman 400. I quickly learned there aren't enough plugs for the thorns on the trails. I've been an avid mountain bike rider for a few years and use a slime/sealant in my tubeless setup on the bike and never have flats. What's the recommended tire slime/sealant for ATVs? I know Walmart carries a big pumper full of the "Slime" brand but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. What do y'all use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #39389
You don't say what tires you have so I am assuming that you have the stock 3 ply tires. I have used tire sealant in 3 wheeler tires with mixed results. It did seal the current leaks, but the next time I went into the bean field with the machine, I had problems again. I have also seen the results when you take the tire off the rim....not pretty

I would suggest better tires if you can swing it. I have 6 ply and 8 ply on my machines just for that reason. Even the Mud Lites on my 325 have stood up to the abuse. Maybe just newer tires. If there are any dry cracks on your tires, even a sealant isn't gonna hold up very well. Over time, the tire material dries out and gets brittle for lack of a better term. Or if the tread is worn out it could make a difference

Wife's machine:
2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. 12x7 front, 12x8 rear, QSC Clutch Kit
My Trail Machine:
2004 Sportsman 600 Twin, 25" RipSaw Tires on stock steel wheels, Moose rear box
Completed Project machine:
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE with a blown engine. Transplanted a 2005 Magnum 330 engine. Committed suicide on the trail Oct 2016. Spun Rod Bearing after oild cooler line failure. Rebuilding Engine.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:51 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #96810
Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post
You don't say what tires you have so I am assuming that you have the stock 3 ply tires. I have used tire sealant in 3 wheeler tires with mixed results. It did seal the current leaks, but the next time I went into the bean field with the machine, I had problems again. I have also seen the results when you take the tire off the rim....not pretty

I would suggest better tires if you can swing it. I have 6 ply and 8 ply on my machines just for that reason. Even the Mud Lites on my 325 have stood up to the abuse. Maybe just newer tires. If there are any dry cracks on your tires, even a sealant isn't gonna hold up very well. Over time, the tire material dries out and gets brittle for lack of a better term. Or if the tread is worn out it could make a difference

I'm not sure if they are stock tires, probably so. By that is a good point, getting a thicker ply tire would go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18562
Like stated above get some 6-ply+ tires and then if the issue persists add a quality sealant like ultra-seal or Highlifter or quadboss.
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545
Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #33549
Do everything you can to avoid having to use those sealants. If you ever have to get into the tire again it's a nightmare. But at least you're looking to use it for the right purpose. Just remember, you'll still need plugs in case there is a sidewall issue. or a larger hole than the sealant can handle.

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Tamarack Titan Luxury Lounger
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment
Custom built road drag grader

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard
Old 12-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #5222
Highlifter sealant works well. Have used in in a few sets over the years and also washes always with water if you need to swap anything

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires