Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

ATV Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 02:43 AM

Member #2795
itp wheels

anyone try the itp ss wheels? are they light? are they cast aluminum? will they fit my 04 scrambler, looking for stock size replacements? thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1634
Send a message via Yahoo to chopper89
Cool

I got a set of ss black there good rim there not heavy, usaully its the tires that add the weight. I believe there cast. i dont know what pattern on the scrambler. You could try rockymountain atv and see if they have them for your ride.
Attached Thumbnails
itp wheels-4-wheeler-006.jpg  
POLARIS GUN CASE
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR LOCK AND RIDE STORAGE
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR GRILL GUARDS
ITP T7 BEADLOCK RIMS
ITP 27 XTR TIRES
RICOCHET A ARM GUARDS

Last edited by chopper89; 02-19-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #927
I have had many sets of ITP rims, my favorite is the black Type 7, that went out of production last year, but there are still some out there. I had a set of SS's that looked pretty sharp before I took the first ride with them. I highly recomend that if you are looking at different rims exspecially if you are looking at the SS wheels, that you go with the black version.

The black is powdercoaded on there, where the others have a clear coated over polished or brushed aluminum fininsh, which would be fine if it were a car, and or if you never went off road or through any mud, or brush or even tall grass. The clear coat scratches or scuffs real easy, that's why I highly recomend the black version, they hold up much better.

Most cast wheels will actually weigh more then your oem steel wheels, 2-4 pounds each on average. If you have OEM spun aluminum then you are likely going to be gaining 6-8 pounds per wheel going to cast wheels.

General rule of thumb wheel weights are as follows.

Spun aluminum wheel weighs 6-8 #'s
Steel wheel weighs 8-10 #'s
Cast aluminum wheel weighs 12-14 #'s
2008 Polaris Sportsman 90 (Stealth Black)

Past Polaris Quads:
2010 Sportsman black 850 eps, 2008 black LE X2 800
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2005 Polaris Sporstman 800, 2002 Trail Boss 325, 2001 Sportsman 500, 2000 Sportsman 500, 1999 Scrambler,
Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Member #2795
wow, thanks for all the information, i was looking at the black as my scrambler is black/yellow, i have stock steel rims now so i guess the weight penalty wont be too bad on my machine
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #927
Spun wheels and steel wheels look alike, so if you want to know which you have, try taking a magnet to them. That will help narrow down how much extra weight to guesstimate.

There is all sorts of rules of thumb for how rotating mass will effect preformance. You tend to see more of an effect, based on the softer the terrain you are riding on more you will notice the drop in power.
Example:
In soft deep sand your tend to see a much larger effect by adding rotating mass.
Where on pavement its not near as noticable.

Sprung weight vs rotating mass in soft terrain can be as high as 1 pound of rotating mass could have the effect of 6 pounds of sprung weight. So 4wheels x 4 pounds of extra raotating mass(wheels or tires) can have a similar perfomance effect of adding 16x6 = 96 pounds of gear or accesories (sprung weight) in soft sand. On pavement it may only be equivelent to adding 32 pounds of sprung weight 1 to 2 ratio.
2008 Polaris Sportsman 90 (Stealth Black)

Past Polaris Quads:
2010 Sportsman black 850 eps, 2008 black LE X2 800
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2005 Polaris Sporstman 800, 2002 Trail Boss 325, 2001 Sportsman 500, 2000 Sportsman 500, 1999 Scrambler,
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 AM

Member #2795
i really like the itp ss wheels, im thinking i want set that are just a bit bigger than my stockers, or maybe just a bit taller tire. stock is 22 tall in the rear and 23 tall in front, my bike is 4 wheel drive, as long as i go with say 23 rears and 24 fronts, or maybe 24 rears and 25 fronts will my 4 wheel drive continue to work properly? i realize i will pay a bit of a penalty for weight and a taller will cause a slower acceleration. i bought this a few weeks back and it does have a clutch kit in it, i dont know how muuch of one but i do know it will not move in reverse without useing the reverse over ride due to the looseness of the clutch, i put a new belt on last week as the one it came with let go while i was riding the new belt did tighten the clutch some but its still pretty loose. anyway does anyone see any problems with a small upsize in tires for a 04 scrambler ho? thanks for the input
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post
...Sprung weight vs rotating mass in soft terrain can be as high as 1 pound of rotating mass could have the effect of 6 pounds of sprung weight. So 4wheels x 4 pounds of extra raotating mass(wheels or tires) can have a similar perfomance effect of adding 16x6 = 96 pounds of gear or accesories (sprung weight) in soft sand. On pavement it may only be equivelent to adding 32 pounds of sprung weight 1 to 2 ratio.
Definetly not something you learn in elementary school.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

Search tags for this page

how much do itp t7 wheels weigh

how much does a 01 sportsman weight

how much does a 1998 polaris sportsman 500 weigh

how much does a polaris 90 weigh

itp steel wheel weight

itp wheel weight

itp wheel weights

itp wheels for polaris scrambler

polaris scrambler stock wheels weigh

polaris trailboss 325 will not go in reverse

spun vs cast wheels atv
will old school itp wheels fit a 2011 rzr s
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.