Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

ATV Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #14376
14" rims

For those who ask about switching from 12" to 14" rims, here are two reasons why you should not do it. Two tires, $340 worth, in 8 months. Just did the 2nd one today. Never had that problem on my X2 with 12" rims. You need the extra sidewall if you ride rocky trails. Both of these happened from pinching the tire on the rim when I hit a rock just right. (or just wrong)

Last edited by bobx2; 05-06-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
What kind of air pressure you running? Just curious.
Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19421
Bob, sure hate to hear that happening to you. Did you have any warranty on the tire? I'm not sure if Discount offered their warranty on the atv line of tires.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #18562
The main reason I went with 14" rims was to cure some handling characteristics. And the other reason was less tire to puncture. I haven't had any side wall issues with my set up not even a good scuff. Now the rims have there share of nicks and scrapes. I think there are a lot more variables to consider like tp, tire width at the tread and side wall, tire construction, rim design and dimensions. To name a few.
polaris front lock n ride cargo box
polaris rear rack extender
warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
aluminum haus fairlead
polaris front spring adjusters
ricochet a-arm guards
ricochet full frame skid plate
itp T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
ultraseal commercial grade tire sealent
c-tek 3300 trickle charger
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Koplin Over Fenders
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #14376
I run 7 psi in what is supposed to be one of the toughest atv tires you can buy. If my only problem was handling issues, I would use air pressure to cure that, as opposed to screwing up my off road capabilities by moving up to these tire killing 14" wheels.

" I think there are a lot more variables to consider like tp, tire width at the tread and side wall, tire construction, rim design and dimensions. To name a few."

I think I pretty much have all these covered about as well as possible, with the exception of sidewall. Low profile tires and 4x4 just don't mix. These are not high performance sport quads. They are not meant for track type events or sport quad style of riding. These are supposed to be for high performance off road use. If I didn't ride challenging terrain like I do, I suppose they would be ok, but I bought it to ride.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12027
The only other option you have going to 30in tires and then you have to upgrade the clutch, which then you have to upgrade the axles and on and on. Thats too bad those tires should be able to handle your riding style.
  • AME heated grips
  • UNI filter
  • Stock 26"PXT wheels
  • 3 headlight mod
  • 08 420Rancher ES
  • 2500# Mile Marker
  • ATV TECH rear bag
  • AME heated grips
  • UNI filter
  • 25"Power grips
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 AM

Member #34848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
For those who ask about switching from 12" to 14" rims, here are two reasons why you should not do it. Two tires, $340 worth, in 8 months. Just did the 2nd one today. Never had that problem on my X2 with 12" rims. You need the extra sidewall if you ride rocky trails. Both of these happened from pinching the tire on the rim when I hit a rock just right. (or just wrong)

I have to respectfully disagree with you...

I believe you're more apt to pinch a tire running 12" rims over 14"-
the more rubber on the side wall, the easier it is to fold & flex.

the biggest problem usually is not enough psi in the tire while riding rocky terrain- the sidewall collapses and gets pinched between the rim edge & the rock.
less rubber = less pinch / more rubber & low psi = more pinch & fold.

I've seen it at least a dozen times riding over the last 20 years- a lot of people who ride these rocky new england trails drop their tire pressure for a smoother ride, but end up folding the sidewall and slicing it open. especially when you're running tires 26" or larger on 12" rims- you need to stiffen up that sidewall with maybe 10-12 psi to prevent it from folding.

If anything, proper tire pressure for the riding style & picking a good line over rocky terrain has more than anything to do with these types of punctures than rim size by itself. I'm thinking you probably just ran into a bad circumstance.

(sorry about this being my first post on the site- I'm a long-time member over at atvconnection- same screen name, and we were discussing this same topic in a private forum over there and one of the members posted this link )

Last edited by beergut; 03-17-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 AM

Member #34848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj View Post
The only other option you have going to 30in tires and then you have to upgrade the clutch, which then you have to upgrade the axles and on and on. Thats too bad those tires should be able to handle your riding style.
polaris axles will easily handle 30" tires- but the clutch upgrade would be a good idea.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #18562
Yeah ur not going to get certain characteristics buy upping the tire pressure on a 12" rim compared to running a more normal/lower tire pressure on a 14" rim. And homeboy u ain't the only one riding technical trails. When its time to pick it up we blast and when it gets dicey we crawl.
polaris front lock n ride cargo box
polaris rear rack extender
warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
aluminum haus fairlead
polaris front spring adjusters
ricochet a-arm guards
ricochet full frame skid plate
itp T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
ultraseal commercial grade tire sealent
c-tek 3300 trickle charger
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Koplin Over Fenders
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #14376
I've got your homeboy hanging bp. If you have nothing constructive to say, perhaps you should just keep to yourself.

Hey beergut, recognize you from there. I know in my years of riding the same trails with my X2 and 12's, I never had these problems. When riding my wifes 500 with 26" BH's on 12" wheels at 4-5 psi, I've never felt a hit that was enough to cause worry. My point is, same rider, same trails, same riding technique. The only difference is the wheel/tire combo. Since moving on to the XP, several times every ride you can feel the hard hits that worry you about pinch's. I run a minimum 20% higher pressures in the 14's than I ran with the 12's. I'm frustrated and irritated right at the moment. It's not about the money, I can afford the tires easily enough, it's about being broken down out on the trail.

Anyway, the whole reason for this thread is to give those who are questioning a wheel swap something to think about and consider. I'm not going to sit here and argue with everyone. I have stated my thought's on this matter several times, and have posted this as supporting backup. Take it or leave it. The proof is in the pictures.

Last edited by bobx2; 03-17-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

Search tags for this page
14 rims for atv honda

how muchai pressure should u run on sti beadlocks on rzr s

maxxis 29x10x14 bighorn minimum rim size
polaris 26x9-14 psi
polaris atv rims
polaris rims 14 forum
polaris sidewall peotectors
polaris wheels 26x11 12 atv rims
ride it 14 rims
sti 14 beadlocks and bighorn tires combo for polaris rzr
tire pressure for 14 bighorns
tire pressure for pxt polar extreme tire
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.