Polaris ATV Forum banner

PXT tires any good?

28K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  jimmypsp700 
#1 ·
I don't hear much about these, but they sure do seem to be an overall decent tire? Not overly aggressive in the mud, but enough depth and open tread to grip decent and clean well. I never really get my Rangers out off our property so they don't get a lot of miles or abuse

Had one issue my 700 Ranger with a flat and found broken bead cords. Not sure what happened there if it truly just failed or if a certain family member or his friend tried to use irons to mount it. I've never seen a bead cord break like that. It was quite obvious.

#2 ·
I love the pxt tires, had them on a 07 Ranger XP and a 07 Hawkeye 300. They held up well for over 4000 miles on the ranger. They pull good in the deep mud for what they are too. Really liked the tires on those machines

#3 ·
Shredded mine first trip to west va. Sidewalls are very thin. Replaced with og bh and they were much much better. The pxt had better traction than other stock tires I have had in the past, but aftermarket tires are much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I ran the heck out of them and they did me well for many years. I went through plenty of nasty stuff chasing moose and caribou in the fall and they did just fine but, I replaced them with ITPs though and the difference was phenomenal.

#5 ·
I think they are a very good tire especially coming stock on machines they are also after market and they're the same as the ACT and Ducks Unlimited tires as well as stock version on some can Ams. I had them also on my 2002 Sportsman 700 they are great all-around smooth riding radial tire that aren't too heavy.
6 ply and 3 star rated.

#6 ·
By the way Carlisle will stand behind their products if you found one to be defective contact them most likely they will send you out a new tire free of charge.

#7 ·
the PXTs are definitely more durable than the 489 IIs that came on my 850. i got a bunch of flats with my 489 IIs but never got a single flat with my PXTs. general trail traction seemed to be equal between them but the 489 IIs definitely performed better in the mud and snow. i know you are just asking about the PXTs but i'm giving you a comparison if you've ever had the 489 IIs. if you're just asking to see if they will be ok for your 1000 touring, then yes but if you're in the market for a tire, there are much better choices out there for the same amount of money.

#8 ·
They are probably the best stock tire around, but I wouldn't spend $ on them.

#9 ·
Just because they come stock on a machine does not mean they are inferior, to the contrary.
I bet they're better than half the aftermarket tires out there specially the bias ply tires. Remember the bighorns come stock on some UTV's like the razr but people always seem to complain about them too , the more you have out there on machines the more flats and issues u are going to have and doesn't necessarily mean it's an inferior Tire though.

#14 ·
are they a very good stock tire? yes! but the statement that they are better than half of the aftermarket tires out there is laughable! i'd also like to know where you're seeing guys complain about Bighorns on the SxSs unless you're referring to guys who like to go in deep mud and complain that they aren't a good tire?? most guys i know that buy the RZR 1K are happy that they come with Bighorns. as for flats, i think they hold up better than most stock tires but they are nowhere near as durable as a lot of aftermarket 6 ply tires. i personally never had a flat with mine before i swapped them out but i've seen others who have. i'm not knocking them but you're comparing apples to oranges by putting them in the same category as most aftermarket tires.

#10 ·
When Polaris began using the PXT(rebranded ACT) in 2005, they were 6-ply & really good tires. Then, in 2008 the bean counters stepped in, & they dropped to 4-ply. Sometime since then, they've managed to go even further to 3-ply. I'm not offering any opinions, just the facts. I've also noticed even though quality goes down, prices for the PXT go up.

#11 ·
My pxt on the xp1k are 6 ply, 3 star rated.

#12 ·
I believe the 4 ply versions were for heavier vehicles. The max inflation is much higher. Also believe the 4 ply PXT is not a radial. At least in a 12" tire. Ran a set briefly on my RZR. Good tire but wanted a 27 and wound up with STi BD XTRs. The 4 ply PXTs I used were from a Ranger and were a 26" size. They only measured 25" tall inflated to 10psi on Polaris steel wheels. Previously I have ran the PXT 26" radial on atvs. They ran a true 26 tall. Probably the best tire that ever came stock on new atvs.

#15 ·
there are some pretty lame aftermarket tires and I would say these are better than MOST bias ply and some radials.

go to the RZR forum for complaints on the Bighorns, and I have them on my RZR, i'm happy with them but in the past I have been on rides where an outlander with BH got an unrepairable flat and a Commander 1k got a flat on a BH. I did get a good gash that took 3 plus on my ACT XT I had on my old sp700.

Not all The ACT, PXT and Ducks Unlimited tires are the same even though they have very similar tread patterns.

#16 ·
you do realize that there is a difference between the original bighorn and the bighorn 2.0s that come on the can ams correct? not only are the originals more durable than the 2.0s but the factory can am bighorns are actually 4 ply tires instead of 6 which makes them even more prone to flats. once again, the PXTs are not better than MOST aftermarket tires, maybe 25% at best. yes there are some lame aftermarket tires out there but the majority are much better than the PXTs.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes I do realize there is a difference from the 2.0 lightweight version of BH while the commander did have the 2.0 on it the Outlander had aftermarket regular big horns.
And While most aftermarket tires are terrain specific such as mud and yes these would be better than the Pxt for mud but I think the PXT is a better all-around tire than most aftermarket especially the bias ply.

My slingshot tires were a great all around tire more geared towards mud but I do believe the radial PXTs are superior as far as a normal trail riding, ride quality and grip, you can really tell the difference with grip on pavement when just moving slow or pushing the quad around how much more the radial grip just inherent of radial tires as compared to bias ply so that's why I say the radial PXTs are better than the majority maybe not for mud or terrial specific like desert or rock crawling but for all around use and this doesn't necessarily mean more durable.

#18 ·
i could think of a few dozen aftermarket tires right off the top of my head that are better than the PXTs including quite a few bias ply ones. as i said earlier, the PXTs are definitely one of the better stock tires we've seen but they just don't compare to most aftermarket tire. jump on any of the facebook groups and ask if anyone prefers their PXTs over any aftermarket tire they went with. i can assure you that you won't find one who will choose the PXTs over anything aftermarket. i've seen hundreds of guys upgrade with various aftermarket tires. they always rave about the world of difference them make and note that they wished that they upgraded their tires much sooner. you're certainly entitled to your opinion but i can tell you what the majority feels and it certainly isn't that the PXTs are a better tire than most aftermarket tires.

#19 · (Edited)
If you ask most people about their aftermarket purchases especially tires they are going to say that they are the best thing since sliced bread, I thought so too of my slingshots as they were a great improvement over the crappy Terrathons that came stock on my 2010 850.

Just like if you look at the dirt Wheels surveys on quads, I have not seen one which the upgrades / accessories added made any less than 100% worth it, " happy with the outcome" of upgrade!

the ACT tires were an aftermarket Tire before Polaris slightly changed the tread pattern and started using them on their quads as well as BRP a few years back.

We both have our opinions and rights to them but I believe for all around use and quality of ride radial tires vastly outperform bias ply tires unless you were talking about terrain specific. That's why very few if any Vehicles these days come with bias ply tires, as that is an old technology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.