Polaris ATV Forum banner

How much did you pay to mount your tires?

35K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  bobx2 
#1 ·
I live on Long Island NY and nothing is cheap here and there isn't many places to go to have tires installed. I have never done ATV tires before but I have seen a guy I work with try to get the tires off of his banshee and had our payloader driver use the edge of his bucket try to break the bead but he ended up destroying the rim instead

I have been calling around to the places near me to see how much it would cost to install the new kenda bearclaws I purchased. One place tells me they don't install tires unless i buy the tires from them. The other store is quoting me $110. Per tire and that is with me bringing them the rims and tires already off the quad.

Is this an average price to have an ATV tire installed?

#2 ·
5 bucks a tire at wal mart

#3 ·
I'm across the Sound in 'just as expensive CT' and paid $40 out the door to have my tires mounted, new valve stems and have them keep the old ones. I bought mine on Amazon and took them down to the local tire shop who did the install without complaint.

#4 ·
Cost me 68 dollars for mounting new tires on new wheels and stems, Im 30 miles north of Tampa Fl

#6 ·
Yeah in the Cities, most places want like $20+ a tire or wont even do ATV tires.. As soon as I drive outside the cities, $6/ tire...

#7 ·
Wow. You guys all have it much cheaper than I am finding.

#8 ·
I didn't pay anything. Mounted them myself. If you can change a bicycle tire you can do these as long as you can get the beads loose. I bought a BeadBuster brand bead breaker. Cost was about a hundred buck shipped to my door. Tire spoons from amazon for another $25 and done. Shop here wanted Shop labor rate of $68 an hour to change my tires...and I bought the rims from them! Most places around here will add a fee to change tires if you didn't buy the tires from them. usually $20 per tire.

So far I have changed 3 sets along with a buddy's garden tractor tire. Tools have paid for themselves already. One set took about an hour for all four.

I have mounted both my 6ply RipSaws and the wifes 8 ply Bearclaw HTRs with this bead breaker. Love it!

#9 ·
Yes on Walmart. $5.00/tire - dismount old and mount new. Can't beat 'em. I used to do them by hand too, I have a manual tire machine; but for the set at $20 - I'll let someone else do it. :wave:

#10 ·
I live in the city. Ordered mine through SAMs club. They wanted $15 a tire to mount them . I said no thanks. Took them home to mount them myself. After about 4 hours of trying to mount them, I decided next time I would gladly pay $20 a tire to have someone else do it for my. I tried the 2x4 trick and all the other crap. Never again.

#12 ·
I happened to call a friend who also has a Polaris to see if he knew anyone who could do it and it turns out he has the bead breaking tool and the spoons so one of these weekends when we both have some free time he is going to help me change them out. I hope it is as easy as only taking a half hour to change. But with my luck it won't go that easily for me.
Thanks for all the advice on places to go everyone.:thanks:

#13 · (Edited)
This is slightly modified by adding pieces of pipe to hold the tools and angle iron to hold the tire lube jug.
I have triangular gussets welded between the upright tube and the tire ring and the upright tube. I modified the bead breaker in two places... some pipe with an ID that fits the bolts that run through the bead breaker tube, drilled the holes to fit the pipes, and welded them in place to keep the tube from bending. Welded square tube to the flat uprights to keep them from bending like spaghetti.
I have anchors in a concrete floor just like this guy. I loosely install short full thread bolts, with the heads shortened in the lathe, in the floor anchors when they are not in use.

This tool will work as purchased from Harbor Freight.

#14 ·
$5 per tire at Discount Tire is what I pay to get the old tires off, and the new tires mounted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.