On the Trail with Discount Tire | Boulder Creek Trail AZ - Polaris ATV Forum
Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

On the Trail with Discount Tire | Boulder Creek Trail AZ

Winter is one of my favorite times of the year for riding in the spectacular deserts around Phoenix AZ as the weather is perfect. It was a bit cold at the start of the day but it was supposed to be in the mid 60's for a high.

I was meeting 2 of my friends that have never been on this trail, but I wanted to go out early and watch the sun come up from the top of one of the hills. I arrived at about 5:30 and headed out in the dark. Unfortunately about 3 miles from the truck, as I crossed a creek, I heard some banging from the rear of my Wildcat X. I stopped and found one of my rear radius rod bolts broken and missing. It is something that needs to be fixed to ride but I wanted to see the sunrise so I bunged up the rod and limped to a hill close by and ran to the top for an uneventful sunrise with 50 MPG wind. Oh well.

Thankfully I carry a jack and many spare items along with tools, so I was able to change out the bolt quickly.

I went for a short ride to enjoy the beautiful morning sun before I went to meet my friends with their Rzr 1000XP's at the staging area.

The area we were headed to is very remote and extremely rocky terrain with steep switch back climbs and descents. It is located in the rugged Bradshaw Mountains north of Phoenix, AZ.

As we headed up boulder creek there is a very cool and rare cactus that is called a crested saguaro.

Boulder creek is a very fitting name for this area as it is full of boulders from bottom to top.

The spectacular views from all sides were absolutely stunning as you can see the trail we were on off in the distance. Behind the mountains is a view of Lake Pleasant.

Along the way there were many fun spots that made you forget about the constant pounding from the relentless boulders on the trail.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Need Tires for Your Camper or Trailer?

Useful Links:
Shop ATV/ UTV Tires
Shop ATV/ UTV Wheels
Current Promotions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

We were a bit behind schedule so I decided to cut the trail short by about 10 miles or so, to make sure we would be back to the trucks before dark. Before we head downed the mountain, I had to check out a nasty hill climb section of the trail at the intersection we stopped at to see what shape it was in. It happened to be much worse than when I was on it last, but in my Wildcat X it was not a problem. On my quad, the ledges would have been a different story.

My view of Lake Plesent in one direction and the Mesa's off to the left from the top of the mountain were amazing to say the least. This is one reason I love Arizona so much. You can see for hundreds of miles when you are near the tops of our majestic mountains.

As we start down the mountain you can see the trail up the other side of another mountain that we will climb after crossing the creek.

Going down was just like the trail to the top, which is just the way I like it.

As we round one of the switch back trails, I was delighted to see the huge balanced rock (about 20 feet tall) was still standing precariously on the side of a rock face; seemingly defying gravity.

A few miles further you can see off in the distance again Lake Pleasant and the trail we will be on, deep in the canyon between the lush desert mountains.

We are getting near the end of the trail as we pass a very historic rock building at the center of Tip Top Mine area. This was a booming mine in the early 1900's. There were approximately 5,000 miners that lived and worked in this area.

Well, we were within about a mile from the trucks and I hear a familiar noise from the rear on my Wildcat X. Sure enough this time the rear bottom 10.9 grade bolt decided it had enough of the boulders. I'm sure, having bent my upper radius rod before sunup probably didn’t help. Thankfully I had one of those bolts as a spare as well. It just goes to show as I always say, all makes of machines are fun and they all break. Just try to be prepared in case they do.

It is amazing none of us suffered any flats on this tough boulder infested trail. I have been running 10-ply rated Kanati Mongrel tires for over 800 miles, Jim has over 1500 miles on his Tensor Regulator AT tires and Joe has about 400 miles on his stock Bighorn tires.

Go in search of adventures as often as you can with your friends. Be as prepared as you can, have fun, stick together and buy all your tires and wheels from Discount Tire.

Don McNeilly
Discount Tire

Useful Links:
Shop ATV/ UTV Tires
Shop ATV/ UTV Wheels
Current Promotions

Last edited by Discount Tire; 12-13-2016 at 09:17 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks like an awesome trail to ride. Thanks for sharing.

2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

My pleasure. We have tons of trails like this near Phoenix. It is a good place to test tires for sure.

Useful Links:
Shop ATV/ UTV Tires
Shop ATV/ UTV Wheels
Current Promotions
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

That looks like some awesome terrain to cover. Always like your trail pictures.

2011 sportsman 800 efi
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

It is tough for sure but fun. Sometimes that makes it more interesting.

Useful Links:
Shop ATV/ UTV Tires
Shop ATV/ UTV Wheels
Current Promotions

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Supporting Vendors > Discount Tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode