Polaris ATV Forum banner

Instructions how to do a relay 3 headlight mod complete with video

192K views 260 replies 81 participants last post by  Craft518 
#1 · (Edited)
Just finished doing my relay type 3 headlight mod and thought I would share.

Here's what you will need:
Single Pole Double Throw Relay 20 amps or higher, 4 or 5 pin.
Either 4 female adapters and wire or a relay socket (recommended).

I got both of these on amazon.com for $7.44 shipped to my door from ipodcarparts, I am sure you can pick them up at your local auto parts store as well.

Amazon.com: 12 VDC Waterproof Relay SPDT 30/40A with Metal Bracket: Electronics

You will also need a sharp knife, wire stripping tool, screwdriver, liquid tape (got mine at home depot for $5), electrical tape, and dielectric grease (Auto Zone).

Steps:
Remove battery, remove pod cover, unplug speedo and gauges, cut all cable ties to give some room, find switch bundle by following it from the switch, carefully cut into it and find the green and yellow wires.

Use the orange and white and brown wires from the 12 volt cigarette outlet for power and ground. Here's how the relay wiring goes:

#30 will be the feed from the battery or the orange wire with the white tracer
#85 will be the ground brown
#86 will be the wire from the high beams yellow
#87 will be the wire to the low beams green
If you get a 5 pin there will be a 87a, don't worry about it, just "dead end" it.

Text Green Line Diagram Font

You will need to strip off a little of each wire to do a tap solder on each of the 4 wires. Make sure you use dielectric grease or liquid tape at all soldered connections to prevent corrosion, I added a wrap of electrical tape as well for good measure. I mounted the relay to the steering column using double side foam tape and a wrap with electrical tape. Don't forget to put a little dielectric grease on the pins on the relay to prevent corrosion inside the socket.

Here's my video to help if you need it:

I want to let all of you know that I am an amature and certainly do not do this for a living, so keep your negative comments to yourself please. My goal is to help anyone who's worse than I am at this kind of stuff.

:stooges:

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Just finished doing my relay type 3 headlight mod and thought I would share.

Here's what you will need:
Single Pole Double Throw Relay 20 amps or higher, 4 or 5 pin.
Either 4 female adapters and wire or a relay socket (recommended).

I got both of these on amazon.com for $7.44 shipped to my door from ipodcarparts, I am sure you can pick them up at your local auto parts store as well.

Amazon.com: 12 VDC Waterproof Relay SPDT 30/40A with Metal Bracket: Electronics

You will also need a sharp knife, wire stripping tool, screwdriver, liquid tape (got mine at home depot for $5), and electrical tape.

Steps:
Remove battery, remove pod cover, unplug speedo and gauges, cut all cable ties to give some room, find switch bundle by following it from the switch, carefully cut into it and find the green and yellow wires.

Use the orange and white and brown wires from the 12 volt cigarette outlet for power and ground. Here's how the relay wiring goes:

#30 will be the feed from the battery or the orange wire with the white tracer
#85 will be the ground brown
#86 will be the wire from the high beams yellow
#87 will be the wire to the low beams green
If you get a 5 pin there will be a 87a, don't worry about it, just "dead end" it.

View attachment 2105

You will need to strip off a little of each wire to do a tap solder on each of the 4 wires. Make sure you use dielectric grease or liquid tape at all soldered connections to prevent corrosion, I added a wrap of electrical tape as well for good measure. I mounted the relay to the steering column using double side foam tape and a wrap with electrical tape.

Here's my video to help if you need it: YouTube - Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. 3 Headlight Modification

I want to let all of you know that I am an amature and certainly do not do this for a living, so keep your negative comments to yourself please. My goal is to help anyone who's worse than I am at his kind of stuff.

Any chance you could kill the music?? To hard to hear you over it. But I look forward to getting mine, will be watching your video as I install it.

#3 ·
LOL!! I added the music because I sound like an idiot! If I get enough requests to turn the music off maybe I will edit it.

#5 ·
Alright, do to popular demand I edited and the video and now it is just me and my bad boston accent :fing02:

#6 ·
I just ordered the relay and the socket, VERY nice video man. Thanks for the upload!

#7 ·
Thanks, and good luck! I got a little lazy at the end and just started taking stills, but the point comes across. I had never done a "tap" type of solder before this project, makes sense to split the wire down the middle and wrap from both sides. This thing is never coming apart. The way I figure is that I don't plan on submerging the pod, but if it ever happens I know my connections will survive!

#8 ·
I need to go hunt down liquid tape and a soldering iron... :thinking:

#9 ·
I knocked this out in about 15 minutes on sunday. The relay and almost all the wires were the same on my 2008 800. Thanks again for the vid Mr. Girard, made this mod a breeze and is awesome with my HID's. I feel sorry for the poor bastard riding in front of me

#11 ·
I feel sorry for the poor bastard riding in front of me
LMAO! I feel bad for them too, it'll probably burn up their retina! I am just glad this post helped somebody.

#10 ·
I want to let all of you know that I am an amature and certainly do not do this for a living, so keep your negative comments to yourself please. My goal is to help anyone who's worse than I am at his kind of stuff.

I agree with keeping the negatives out unless it's in regard to possibly
a safety factor. Visuals always seem to help out more then words can
say for the most part. Great job :hail::beerchug::applaus:

#12 · (Edited)
I just did the quadovator diode mod on my 2011 sportsman 500 HO- it was really simple. same green and yellow wires follow them down from the front bundle of wires coming off the switch. kit had plastic tap crimps but i chose to tap solder to the wires. only problem i had was it didnt work next day and i rechecked everything only to find the joint going to the bottom of the diode had come off. (looked not done right at manufacturer) I re-soldered it and and heatshrink tubed it and works just fine. Its like $14 shipped from quadovator.

wicked video!!! now I just have to learn how to SOddaaa :slomo:

#13 ·
ROTFLMAO! You still know how to speak with a Rhode Island tongue. It must have been a bad solder in the first place because I never even took the thing out of the bag (I decided to do the relay while it was in the mail). I am glad you figured it out and set it right!

#17 ·
Hola y bienvenudos a la consejo! Muchas gracias, perdon mi espanol es muy mal :-( I am so glad this helped you out, keep on wheelin'!

#19 ·
I did this mod yesterday to my 03 Sportsman 500 HO. I used the relay and harnass from Amazon. The wire colors on the harness were different than what is in the orginol post but I matched them up to the pin out in the relay drawing and it worked fine. Thanks for this post and info.

#21 ·
Polaris/can am 3 way diode, versus switch and relay

Was looking online found a vendor on ebay retailing pre made headlight kits $9.00 free s&h with instructions. Looks to be a quality kit I know everyone on her says quadovator ect I see he has plenty of positive feedback Has anyone tried these kits? Is this kit better than relay?

Here is a link Polaris 3 way light mod

Or ebay user Mountainmodsplus

#22 ·
Was looking online found a vendor on ebay retailing pre made headlight kits $9.00 free s&h with instructions. Looks to be a quality kit I know everyone on her says quadovator ect I see he has plenty of positive feedback Has anyone tried these kits? Is this kit better than relay?

Here is a link Polaris 3 way light mod

Or ebay user Mountainmodsplus
Never tried the kit, but it's the same thing that quadovator is selling i.e. a diode based device. It's not that one method is "superior" to another it's physics. The diode uses the switch on your handlebar to supply power to the lows when the high is on. The relay uses your 12 volt battery to supply the power. Many people have used diodes without ever frying the switch; others have fried the switch with very little use. I have yet to read of anyone frying a switch with a relay which IMO makes it a safer solution.

G
#23 ·
I personally bought parts individually from an auto parts store. I dont want to have to replace the light switch later down the road. The relay is what is taking all the heat from the lights and not the switch. Its cheaper to replace the relay than switch..Diodes can burn out and possibly take your switch with it. The relay provides power to the lights via the relay. The switch is still thinking its only doing one set of lights at a time.

#25 ·
I unfortunately do not have experience inside the pod of a 2000. If it looks the same inside then you're in business. I am going to guess that the green/yellow (hi/low beam) wires are the same. You might have to look for an alternate 12 power source and ground if you don't have the cigarette lighter plug. Good luck!

#27 ·
My son did the mod on my '06 Sportsman 450 today while I am at work using the relay. Only one problem that I can not figure out. The low beams come on when key is turned on, even when switch is in off position. Any ideas?
Sounds like he picked the power off before the light switch instead of after. So as soon as you turn on the atv the lights come on. Shouldn't be to hard to find it that is the case. Just have him trace all his steps with you there and together you will find the problem.

Jeff

#31 ·
Great write up! I am a 12 volt tech and would like to comment that if you dont need the 87A wire if you graqb the socket in one hand and the 87A wire tightly in the other and give it a quick yank you can remove it from the socket no tools or potential for shorting in the future. Been doing this for 20 years and never yet had one not come out and or break the socket.

Now I need th know what kind of sharp knife that was? It looked like it was retractable too? Just what I need in my tool belt, let me know!

CB

#32 ·
I'm pretty sure the company that makes it is x-acto. I found this one at michaels but I am sure any hobby store or even the big hardware stores carry them too. I was going to use a scalpel but I wanted to use something more readily available to the masses :biglaugh:

#38 · (Edited)
thanks for the write up. i will be doing this this weekend when the parts come in. Thanks again

Also love how the shipping is more than the parts. lol

#39 ·
Also love how the shipping is more than the parts. lol
So true, and sad. There really scary part is that if you live far enough from a parts store, shipping might be still cheaper than the gas it would take to go to the store and get the stuff you need :shocked:

#40 ·
thats kinda how i am now. my wrangler dont get the best mileage and the closest one would cost me about 10 dollars to drive there and back. ill just stick to the shipping and wait a few days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.